Thread: Bert flywheel

Default Bert flywheel

I have a 406 SBC that's externally balanced can you use one of those balance plates with a bert flywheel and coupler

I run a spacer under my flywheel.As long as the flywheel wasn't moved to far back and hitting the trans flywheel I don't see it hurting anything.

Rcj thanks for reply the plate is like .100 thick Bert makes a external 400 flywheel its like 200 bucks or try an use a balance plate with a reg Bert flywheel I always have one or two shims to shim my flywheel from crank so in this case the balance plate would be like the shims anybody else have any input

Anyone else have experience with this any help or wisdom

Starters for bert/brinn belhousings generally come with spacers to get the gap between the flywheel and starter idle correct. Check this clearance. Too much or too little is generally the cause when of starter not engaging properly.

I used one on a 383 with standard coupler and steel bell housing. The plate broke off of one of them. Don't know how long it was broken before I found it. I replaced it and it didn't ever break again. Come to think of it, it may have been when I ran a 3 disc clutch and 3 speed trans and found it when I went to the Bert.

Bert makes a one piece flywheel coupler for a external 400 think part number 318-400 its like 200 bucks I have a standard bert coupler and flywheel already just didn't know if it would work with a balance plate if have to I'll buy the one they make figure a 25 dollar balance plate better than a 200 dollar flywheel