Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead on LR tube

How would a sanctioning body tech tungsten, esp if lr componenets could be made out of it?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    How would a sanctioning body tech tungsten, esp if lr componenets could be made out of it?
    A magnet!!

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    A magnet!!
    LOL obviously! I was really referring to the weight of them. Are they planning to weigh them somehow?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

LOL obviously! I was really referring to the weight of them. Are they planning to weigh them somehow?
    Considering their failings with the tape measure, unlikely!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

A magnet!!
    maybe a geiger counter for uranium tubes! lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Default Best answer

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    maybe a geiger counter for uranium tubes! lol
    You sir win the interweb with this response

Actually heard from a good source of someone on the tour running a tungsten lr hub , and guys filling the lr hub with lead.

I seriously doubt they are going to try to put some weight rule on components, the terms they used as to be discussed can be interpreted several ways. I think many are thinking they are going to say no heavy axle tubes or what not, but I'd say they are just going to outlaw exotic materials like tungsten, titanium, and etc.

Just wait a couple weeks and see if they pass what they are talking about doing on a couple of whole different items. If they do, you will see the cost get driven up a ton for certain things. Nothing like taking something many do that is cheap as hell now and try to outlaw it, but there is a 1000 ways around it (which or how many ways is dependent on how they write these new rules) and many of them are going to cost 5 to 100 times what it costs now.

They can't or won't tech a body, but they are talking of making more rules that is gonna require possibly dynoing a shock to make sure it's legal or having to put the coilover on a smasher to verify you aren't illegal.

Hell, I wouldn't even sweat the fuel cell, fire suppression, or seat crap after the first race of the year. Hell if it looks half way like what it's supposed to be, they won't ever tech it anyways left alone look for a SFI sticker. I'd bet a 1000.00 I could take a Nitrous bottle and paint it white and slap some fake fire company sticker on it and it'd pass their inspection for fire suppression.

With the fire suppression rule I'm wondering how long before the first crate car that's gonna get caught with Nitrous????????

I might even take all the safety stuff off an new SFI approved cell or disable it just to go thru tech to prove the point that they don't or can't tech for $HIT.

Quote Originally Posted by rakracing View Post
    Actually heard from a good source of someone on the tour running a tungsten lr hub , and guys filling the lr hub with lead.
    That's insane. While there are reasons for increasing unsprung weight, under no circumstances would you ever want to increase rotating weight.

so how long till we see tungsten bird cages on the market?

Default Tungsten b/c

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    so how long till we see tungsten bird cages on the market?
    They are already among us

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    That's insane. While there are reasons for increasing unsprung weight, under no circumstances would you ever want to increase rotating weight.
    Are you sure about that?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    In this instance I'm quite sure. Do you realize the brake forces required to slow down that heavy rotating mass once it got moving?

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    In this instance I'm quite sure. Do you realize the brake forces required to slow down that heavy rotating mass once it got moving?
    Yes I am. We typically don't tax the brakes that badly. And when you have 300 ft-lbs more torque than it takes to spin the wheels, inertia is free, legal traction control.

The davis units were designed to limit rpm sweep rate. What does inertia do?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I seriously doubt they are going to try to put some weight rule on components, the terms they used as to be discussed can be interpreted several ways. I think many are thinking they are going to say no heavy axle tubes or what not, but I'd say they are just going to outlaw exotic materials like tungsten, titanium, and etc.

Just wait a couple weeks and see if they pass what they are talking about doing on a couple of whole different items. If they do, you will see the cost get driven up a ton for certain things. Nothing like taking something many do that is cheap as hell now and try to outlaw it, but there is a 1000 ways around it (which or how many ways is dependent on how they write these new rules) and many of them are going to cost 5 to 100 times what it costs now.

They can't or won't tech a body, but they are talking of making more rules that is gonna require possibly dynoing a shock to make sure it's legal or having to put the coilover on a smasher to verify you aren't illegal.

Hell, I wouldn't even sweat the fuel cell, fire suppression, or seat crap after the first race of the year. Hell if it looks half way like what it's supposed to be, they won't ever tech it anyways left alone look for a SFI sticker. I'd bet a 1000.00 I could take a Nitrous bottle and paint it white and slap some fake fire company sticker on it and it'd pass their inspection for fire suppression.

With the fire suppression rule I'm wondering how long before the first crate car that's gonna get caught with Nitrous????????

I might even take all the safety stuff off an new SFI approved cell or disable it just to go thru tech to prove the point that they don't or can't tech for $HIT.
    I was referring to exotic materials being used for suspension components (bird cages, hubs, wheel spacers).

LOL...as far as the nitrous bottle deal....I know someone very well who was using one.....but not for fire suppression (but had the sticker on it)...LOL
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Grt62, that's exactly what he said is next tungsten birdcages

this is not the class i run but i do run a 4 bar car QC rear end. i made this post here because i thought i would get the best info on this set up and it sure did. our series we run has no rule on this now but will be banned next year. i did not wont to be the guy that his lead came off and hurt some one. so i made some lead donuts to go in the tube only bad part is not something you can take out at the track. but felt it was safer.

Quote Originally Posted by twisterf5 View Post
    this is not the class i run but i do run a 4 bar car QC rear end. i made this post here because i thought i would get the best info on this set up and it sure did. our series we run has no rule on this now but will be banned next year. i did not wont to be the guy that his lead came off and hurt some one. so i made some lead donuts to go in the tube only bad part is not something you can take out at the track. but felt it was safer.
    I can not state enough that if you think lead is dangerous on the axle tube then it is dangerous anywhere else on the car. If you mount lead properly it won't fall off. Where anyone got the idea that lead can only fall off when mounted to the axle tube is beyond me.

^^^^ agree 100%, if you can't safely mount it to something like an axle tube you can't safely mount it any where In the car

Would it be beneficial to run steel cage and steel axle tube on right side as well?