Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lead on LR tube

Would think you would add unsprung rear %. So it wouldn't add static LR, and may help overall drive instead of just driving LR more...

Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I think that was at PRI 2015.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I think that was at PRI 2015.
    Yes it was, many just didn't see it or know what it was for because it was on a rear end in the booth but didn't have anything attached to the clamp.

Default Weight

So are you guys just using this weight on the rear to calculate the bite numbers as well or are you countering it with weight on the RR frame to keep bite numbers to a minimum?

I think the lead on the LR tube has to do more with axle limiting and traction.

If you run a chain or a shock on the front of the LR to limit the height, at one point the chain will snap and pull traction out of the LR. Once the tire starts to spin, it blows up like a dragster tire leaving the line.

Once the tire grows and the stretch leaves, the tire looses traction. Putting a ton of lead on the tube will keep traction in the car even when it limits out on the chain.

The sprung weight can still move around and transfer the same around the car, but the LR tire always stays connected.
    Last edited by Ltemodel; 01-02-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Should be sprung weight, oops

Talked to friend of mine this week also a track promoter said racern at his track picked up a new car not gonna say brand just not a major player yet but rapidly getting there . Car had steel LR axle tube steel birdcage on LR. Also had hub filled with some kind of heavy expensive metal also LR brake rotor had more of same heavy metal inserted into cooling fins on LR.

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    Talked to friend of mine this week also a track promoter said racern at his track picked up a new car not gonna say brand just not a major player yet but rapidly getting there . Car had steel LR axle tube steel birdcage on LR. Also had hub filled with some kind of heavy expensive metal also LR brake rotor had more of same heavy metal inserted into cooling fins on LR.
    You know how racers think. 25# made me pick up a tenth. 250# and I lap the field. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Using that reasoning MBR I should be able to strap my butt to the axle and win Daytona with a street stock.....
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Using that reasoning MBR I should be able to strap my butt to the axle and win Daytona with a street stock.....
    The other guys are racing street stocks too! lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

If Brian France sez it I believe it.....
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    If Brian France sez it I believe it.....
    They may spend millions, but those are still street stock suspensions.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    I'm telling you, boys, this is all going the wrong direction and it's going there fast! We've had rules for years to limit how light we could make things and now that somebody has figured out a little trick (AKA, understanding the laws of physics), we're going to end up with rules on how heavy we can make things. The box is getting smaller every year. This is turning into NASCAR right before our eyes and it's a matter of time before we're just told "here are the rear end components you can use and here are the two places (which we own both) you can go to buy them".
    While your point is completely valid, and now is the time to address the rules issue, I will give you a little hope and let you know dirt racing is way way way better off than NASCAR. And I think you know where I work. We spend upwards of 3 hours in pre-race tech every week. The amount of pre and post race tech that dirt racing has is amazing compared to NASCAR. NASCAR confiscates three cars every race and takes them back to their headquarters and takes them down to chassis. I think where the rules were at last year were a good place, and they should only do stuff for safety now. Which I think is why they are considering the lead on suspension components. That unsprung weight acting on the housing is just asking to break a tube and send the tire, wheel and tube flying, which poses a safety risk.
    - Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by hotshoe65s View Post
    While your point is completely valid, and now is the time to address the rules issue, I will give you a little hope and let you know dirt racing is way way way better off than NASCAR. And I think you know where I work. We spend upwards of 3 hours in pre-race tech every week. The amount of pre and post race tech that dirt racing has is amazing compared to NASCAR. NASCAR confiscates three cars every race and takes them back to their headquarters and takes them down to chassis. I think where the rules were at last year were a good place, and they should only do stuff for safety now. Which I think is why they are considering the lead on suspension components. That unsprung weight acting on the housing is just asking to break a tube and send the tire, wheel and tube flying, which poses a safety risk.
    - Dustin
    The rules from 2014 are plenty good enough. They just need enforced. The current rulebook requires nearly Nascar level inspection to be enforced properly. I have good reason to believe the inspection process is going to steadily increase in length.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Dustin, it is good hearing from you and you are certainly in a position to share some real world experience of what the "next level" looks like.
    In dirt racing, I think we are really dealing with a few different issues here that are compounding into a larger complex problem:
    1) People that don't know anything about race cars are policing the competition of said machines.
    2) They already don't enforce the rules that they have yet they keep adding more.
    3) Many rules that are created in an attempt to save racers money do just the opposite.

Aint it funny.....NASCAR hires ex-cheating crew chiefs to be inspectors. Dirt series hires joe blow off the street! smh
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Lucas's new tech is no joe blow off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    Lucas's new tech is no joe blow off the street.
    correct, he will straighten (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) out.

Wasn't sure it was released yet, as I never looked.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 01-05-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Class of 2019

Just to update, someone I know talked with the new Lucas tech guy and he said they were going to be weighing rearends in Georgia and Florida