Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead on LR tube

i believe its novembers issue
    Chris Zogg

When the weight is directly on the axle, the weight is not transferred through the bars, springs, shocks, body roll etc... like it is when its mounted above the suspension. So if you have the weight on the axle (not bolted to the bird cage), when you accelerate from center off, you have instant load (traction) on the l/r &don't have to wait for weight transfer to the l/r through body roll, shocks, springs, bars etc...

So for years and years they've been making the rears lighter, but now the hot tip is to bolt weight right to the tube? Why not just run steel axle tubes? They're cheaper. From what I'm reading on DoD the next meeting will determine weight on suspension parts legality, add to that what your allowed to have your rear made from. I guess now they're gonna make everyone run magnesium rears with titanium axles, Titanium bird cages and maybe carbon fiber brakes in order to save us money... I wish they'd stop with all this legislation I can't afford for them to save me anymore money.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    So for years and years they've been making the rears lighter, but now the hot tip is to bolt weight right to the tube? Why not just run steel axle tubes? They're cheaper. From what I'm reading on DoD the next meeting will determine weight on suspension parts legality, add to that what your allowed to have your rear made from. I guess now they're gonna make everyone run magnesium rears with titanium axles, Titanium bird cages and maybe carbon fiber brakes in order to save us money... I wish they'd stop with all this legislation I can't afford for them to save me anymore money.
    I know many think this is all new but it's not, it's been going on for least 2 years by some and probably longer. It's just got taken to an extreme by many that it's become more visible and has slowly gotten out.

That being said: The part where they are going to discuss this on rules: "the Council will meet at PRI in December to address weighted suspension components, rear end construction materials and axels."

This can be interpreted in several ways, first is they are going to try to stop unnecessary weight on the rear end which is going to be pretty difficult and/or the second is making exotic material illegal. I feel they are talking about the exotic material like tungsten and possibly just out outlawing titanium just for cost reasons. Just think what could happen when a certain someone's 50# wheel Spacer breaks off the axle snout and sends a 100+# wheel/tire/hub combo into the stands, that thing won't stop for 2 miles!!!

They can't or won't enforce that the bodies have to be straight (1" tolerance), so sure make a ton of more rules no one will enforce or check after the first race with the new rules. However there are things happening that are not very safe and does need to be addressed. Nothing wrong with some of these things but they need to be done correctly so it's safe for the other drivers, crews and fans.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I know many think this is all new but it's not, it's been going on for least 2 years by some and probably longer. It's just got taken to an extreme by many that it's become more visible and has slowly gotten out.

That being said: The part where they are going to discuss this on rules: "the Council will meet at PRI in December to address weighted suspension components, rear end construction materials and axels."

This can be interpreted in several ways, first is they are going to try to stop unnecessary weight on the rear end which is going to be pretty difficult and/or the second is making exotic material illegal. I feel they are talking about the exotic material like tungsten and possibly just out outlawing titanium just for cost reasons. Just think what could happen when a certain someone's 50# wheel Spacer breaks off the axle snout and sends a 100+# wheel/tire/hub combo into the stands, that thing won't stop for 2 miles!!!

They can't or won't enforce that the bodies have to be straight (1" tolerance), so sure make a ton of more rules no one will enforce or check after the first race with the new rules. However there are things happening that are not very safe and does need to be addressed. Nothing wrong with some of these things but they need to be done correctly so it's safe for the other drivers, crews and fans.
    Are they really putting weighted wheel covers on? That is dangerous... Weight on the tube I get(No Biggie), kinda surprised it took this long to become popular. If they're getting rid of exotic materials that's fine, but your right its just something else they won't tech. Speaking of body rules, you ever notice bloomer's car always becomes dished on the RS once they start racing.

Have a good day, Billett.
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 12-14-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Default weighted wheel

Are they really putting weighted wheel spacers on? If so, that's just stupid, the rotating mass would be insane. Just build a weaker engine if its spooling up to quick for ya. Weight on the tube I get, kinda surprised it took this long to become popular. If they're getting rid of exotic materials that's fine, but your right its just something else they won't tech. Speaking of body rules, you ever notice bloomer's car always becomes dished on the RS once they start racing. Trends and people who chase them blindly make me laugh, LOL.

Have a good day, Billett.
    yes LR wheel spacers that are made of heavy Mallory material
    helps slow down the zing of the motor and helps from chattering tires on entry and keeps things momentiumed up.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

speed/traction or safety.
    fine line I guess

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    speed/traction or safety.
    fine line I guess
    I'm not gonna put others at risk with something like a weighted wheel cover. The wheel spacer is smart and to me a non-issue. I love innovation, trying new things, going in a different direction, but I won't risk you or anybody else getting hurt on something so stupid and senseless.
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 12-14-2016 at 10:45 AM.

I'm not gonna put others at risk with something like that, I'll just think harder and look for a solution that's less likely to kill or seriously injure someone. Seems like building for less power would make the most sense from an economic/performance standpoint. If you can't use it its wasted money, but I guess I'm crazy to think that way. I love innovation, trying new things, going in a different direction, but I won't risk you or anybody else getting hurt on something so stupid and senseless.
    At the national/touring level, I think the challenge with just building for less power is that you need 900+ in qualifying but only need 400 at some places by feature time. A good driver can tame a big motor when it gets slick. But if it's WTFO track conditions and you don't have it, you just don't have it.

Steel Axle tubes, and steel birdcages, how much added weight would that be?

I suppose you could line the inside of a steel tube with a smaller tube, and pour lead between, that would be an idea. Say fill in a 1/4" gap with led?

I have always wondered about this, adding to the LR axle, wieght but have never tried it.

Just say no...

It works. At least the wheel weights do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Steel Axle tubes, and steel birdcages, how much added weight would that be?

I suppose you could line the inside of a steel tube with a smaller tube, and pour lead between, that would be an idea. Say fill in a 1/4" gap with led?

I have always wondered about this, adding to the LR axle, wieght but have never tried it.
    cup has a rule on this, they caught guys lining the tubes with tungsten,this is an old asphalt trick

Lining the inside of the tube makes sense, having a #40 wheel cover, that's reckless endangerment. As far as going from 900hp down to 400hp, why not a restrictor plate, I know Jay D!ckens experimented with it.
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 12-14-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Politically Incorrect.

I'm telling you, boys, this is all going the wrong direction and it's going there fast! We've had rules for years to limit how light we could make things and now that somebody has figured out a little trick (AKA, understanding the laws of physics), we're going to end up with rules on how heavy we can make things. The box is getting smaller every year. This is turning into NASCAR right before our eyes and it's a matter of time before we're just told "here are the rear end components you can use and here are the two places (which we own both) you can go to buy them".

Matt49, could not agree more, changing classes looks more appetizing every day.

I am with you guys.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I love the innovation part but what I don't like is the incurred cost. There is one person right now that has a LR tube made from tungsten. The price for that is $5500.00 now I'm not saying you need to have it but you are racing against it. There needs to be some limitations but not to the extent of NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    I love the innovation part but what I don't like is the incurred cost. There is one person right now that has a LR tube made from tungsten. The price for that is $5500.00 now I'm not saying you need to have it but you are racing against it. There needs to be some limitations but not to the extent of NASCAR.
    Most of the folks on here are not racing against it. And, if the rules are no so limiting, you could get the weight cheaper. That is, if you really need that kind of weight.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Thumbs down Decentralized Power is best.

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    A fool and his money are soon parted, a $5500 axle tube is foolish. Like MBracer said there are cheaper ways to get that kind of weight. I raced karts for several years and there are never a shortage of dopes willing to buy the secret component, but I've outrun them too on a 3rd the money spent. Matt49 is right too, the rules are moving to fast and getting a bit far reaching, this is why I was never in favor of centralized power in DLM world.
    The Unified Rules Committee(aka WRG) has found daddy's gun and is waving it around like an idiot on crack.
    Politically Incorrect.

Years ago I was a tech inspector for UMP and I quit because when I enforced rules I got call from UMP complaining about it. I wasn't willing to go against my principles for a measly $50 a night. The company that supplied the transponders wanted us to put them on the LR or RR axle tube and not that body or chassis because they said they find they are more reliable and less prone to vibration failure.
    Ballast may be SAFER bolted to the axle tube!

The only reason WRG/UMP/(alphabet governing rules) get that kind of power over the racer is because the racers keep showing up anyway. They might complain and whine and throw temper tantrums yet they continue to show up and give them money. The power is in the racers and fans to change by working together as a group and when they as a group finally stand up and say enough is enough then taking your money and giving nothing back will continue. Behaviors gone unchecked will continue.
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 11-12-2016 at 02:13 PM.