Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead on LR tube

If you were on a hard tire on a slick slow track, I can see unspung weight helping build tire temps.It works or flexes the tire differently.
    If you told a racer to hang 20lbs in front of the l/r, as low and as far left as possible.First thing he's going to say is" that going to kill all my side bite".If you say "Here is a secret 20lbs spacer your superhero is running" you can sell that.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Years ago I was a tech inspector for UMP and I quit because when I enforced rules I got call from UMP complaining about it. I wasn't willing to go against my principles for a measly $50 a night. The company that supplied the transponders wanted us to put them on the LR or RR axle tube and not that body or chassis because they said they find they are more reliable and less prone to vibration failure.
    Ballast may be SAFER bolted to the axle tube!

The only reason WRG/UMP/(alphabet governing rules) get that kind of power over the racer is because the racers keep showing up anyway. They might complain and whine and throw temper tantrums yet they continue to show up and give them money. The power is in the racers and fans to change by working together as a group and when they as a group finally stand up and say enough is enough then taking your money and giving nothing back will continue. Behaviors gone unchecked will continue.
    You are a wise man. Perhaps a racers union should be formed?

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    If you were on a hard tire on a slick slow track, I can see unspung weight helping build tire temps.It works or flexes the tire differently.
    If you told a racer to hang 20lbs in front of the l/r, as low and as far left as possible.First thing he's going to say is" that going to kill all my side bite".If you say "Here is a secret 20lbs spacer your superhero is running" you can sell that.
    There is a difference in hanging weight low/left on chassis than on the axle. Low/Left on chassis will effect weight transfer and body roll, on the axle its more or less fixed/dead weight. Trends swing like pendulums, from one extreme to the other, in my early days having a lite weight axle tube was thought of as a "Must" now it seems we've gone to far with the sprung/unsprung theory and are swinging back the other way. You stay around the sport long enough and lots of things come and go, its one of the things that keep me interested. Leafs to swing-arm, swing-arm to 4 link, 4 link to swing-arm and back to 4 link. This is the way its always been, seeking something a little better, but it always goes too far and then the trend reverses. Sadly now we have this regulation over reach that wants to bring all the innovation to an end and go cookie-cutter, which is boring and expensive. I'm for safety, but it seems 99% of us are being left out of the conversation and being saddled with 99% of the bill. The wheel cover/spacer deal I understand because it endangers everyone, more so the cover. The fire suppression systems should've been given a grace period for compliance, IMHO. The mandatory sfi 29.2 rated stuff are the biggest ticket items for sure and springing ALL this at once is gonna have an impact on at least the early shows for next year locally I'm sure. The seat thing pi$$e$ me off, because there is data coming out that suggests some of these seats are directly related to increased concussion injuries. I've seen 2 roll overs this year, where both drivers had all the FC/HANS/SFI-39.2 latest and greatest. Neither rollover was spectacular and didn't involve a hard impact, but both drivers received concussions with lingering effects and resulted in one retirement. Now this "Unified Rules" bunch is telling me I have to strap myself in to a seat that will likely injure me and I don't even have to wreck to get injured because of it... I'm not happy.

What should have happened as a ramp up, is to have rules on fuel lines and couplings and enforce that, with a (#50)weight break if you install a 39.2 fuel cell and (#25)weight break for the FC seat. Use market forces and personal choice to drive the change. Unilateral rule/law enactment is a dictatorial style move and I don't like it.
    Politically Incorrect.

So how are these guys melting the tungsten down and containing it to make whatever shape the want? Quick research show melting point of tungsten to be around 6,200 degrees. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Modified18 View Post
    So how are these guys melting the tungsten down and containing it to make whatever shape the want? Quick research show melting point of tungsten to be around 6,200 degrees. Thanks
    You don't. You machine it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    A fool and his money are soon parted, a $5500 axle tube is foolish. Like MBracer said there are cheaper ways to get that kind of weight. I raced karts for several years and there are never a shortage of dopes willing to buy the secret component, but I've outrun them too on a 3rd the money spent. Matt49 is right too, the rules are moving to fast and getting a bit far reaching, this is why I was never in favor of centralized power in DLM world.
    The Unified Rules Committee(aka WRG) has found daddy's gun and is waving it around like an idiot on crack.
    The unified rules committee is as much Lucas as it is WRG if not more. Remember Lucas is the group that led the suspension rules last year and Lucas is who is leading the is current deal. WRG doesn't really have a spine and they are along for the ride to do whatever Lucas wants.

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    cup has a rule on this, they caught guys lining the tubes with tungsten,this is an old asphalt trick
    Whoops , I thought everybody had forgotten that trick ! Daytona 2001

Anyone remember the steel tube protectors made by Coleman a few years ago?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Anyone looking for tungsten i have some 2 5/8" X 3 5/8" X 6" 36lb blocks for $1200 a piece ... they retail for $1800 text 7047465255

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    The unified rules committee is as much Lucas as it is WRG if not more. Remember Lucas is the group that led the suspension rules last year and Lucas is who is leading the is current deal. WRG doesn't really have a spine and they are along for the ride to do whatever Lucas wants.
    Lucas screwed it up and WRG mostly went along. They are not the same entity.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Lucas screwed it up and WRG mostly went along. They are not the same entity.
    That's pretty much what I meant. That was the simple way to put it.

its not just wrg or lucas thats's in this game ,The Council’s sanctioning body committee met in October to develop unified specifications for all Council members, including the World of Outlaws, Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, MLRA, Ultimate Series, Southern Nationals Series, ALMS, MARS, DIRTcar Racing and Eldora Speedway. All dirt late model sanctioning series will be encouraged to adopt the specifications effective January 1, 2017.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by softshoe72 View Post
    "Tungsten on LR axle tube" - I have some for sale its 2 5/8"X 3 5/8" X 6" and is 36lbs ... $1200 a piece it retails for over $1800 text 7047465255
    I think this guy is trying to recover his investment ahead of a rule change...
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 11-15-2016 at 08:26 AM.
    Politically Incorrect.

Is the added weight only beneficial if it is on the left? Are there any benefits, or side effects, from adding weight to the right as well?
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

The formula for weight transfer is (Total weight X g force X c/g height) divided by track width.I know weight transfer is a moving target and some chicken or the egg type problems but it doesn't make provision for unsprung or sprung.In my experiences lower unsprung is better.I do wonder, from the work Bloomer has done with Penski, are they trying to change the natural frequencies?

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    The formula for weight transfer is (Total weight X g force X c/g height) divided by track width.I know weight transfer is a moving target and some chicken or the egg type problems but it doesn't make provision for unsprung or sprung.In my experiences lower unsprung is better.I do wonder, from the work Bloomer has done with Penski, are they trying to change the natural frequencies?
    This is exactly what I was thinking. With the insane amount of compression dampening being run in the LR, we probably need MORE sprung mass to achieve critical dampening. The LR being TOO stiff is causing the car to "bounce" on the LR and not providing consistent traction at the contact patch.
    There's another solution to this problem (if in fact it is the problem) but that would not be legal under the "unified" rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. With the insane amount of compression dampening being run in the LR, we probably need MORE sprung mass to achieve critical dampening. The LR being TOO stiff is causing the car to "bounce" on the LR and not providing consistent traction at the contact patch.
    There's another solution to this problem (if in fact it is the problem) but that would not be legal under the "unified" rules.
    Penske has an illegal solution.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Penske has an illegal solution.
    Yes, they do...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Yes, they do...
    Are we taking to shocked spring bar or inerter shock or fric shock lol

Would a thick steel tube get the job done? Say 3/8 or even 1/2 thick?

Steel tubes on a mod quickchange are 1/4-5/16" thick
    I am figuring if you ordered a steel tube for a LM QC it would be the same
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.