Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas rules

With All the safety devices in the world installed injury and death are always going to be possible. We don't see them nearly as much in DLM as in other forms of racing, but that spectre will always loom and we are all in the process of dying. In the words of Jim Morrison, "No one here gets out alive".

Things I believe that would help:
    1) A higher halo height/roof line.
    2) lower decking and door height and widen the drivers area.
    3) Larger green house.
    4) Nose height maximum from ground rule, so the cars can't roll over so easy.
    5) No wheel covers

Phase in Rules: (2 years)
    6) #25 weight break for 39.2 fuel cell
    7) #25 weight break for 39.2 FC seat
    8) #50 weight break for Fire suppression system.
    9) Enforce rules on fuel lines and couplings standards.
    10) Enforce rules on belts that are out of date.

***During these 2 years more study could be done on effects of FC seats/concussions and you could have a mandatory safety seminar at beginning of season with safety people to show videos and answer questions. Those that don't attend can't run the series.***
    Politically Incorrect.

so your basically saying , in 2 years, if you dont agree with or cant afford these changes, then you get a 100 lb weight penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    so your basically saying , in 2 years, if you dont agree with or cant afford these changes, then you get a 100 lb weight penalty?
    Well my plan would give you 2 years and the option to comply fully. The way it actually is you gotta have all of it by February/March.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    If you are a series regular, you will get an extra 2 laps from normal to change a tire now do to the bolts but not a series regular your screwed? Also sounds to me like anyone selling/making plastic type covers got screwed as how are those more dangerous then aluminum ones, lol?
    Gotta let them promoters sell some hotdogs....

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    5) No wheel covers
    I am guessing you have never packed a wheel full of mud/ clay?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracer74 View Post
    I am guessing you have never packed a wheel full of mud/ clay?
    Agree. Better stay off that cushion. They are a must.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Agree. Better stay off that cushion. They are a must.
    Depends on where you race. Haven't had a hard cover on our car's RR all season.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Regardless of the intricacies of these rules, I thank those involved for making a unified effort in addressing. At least they are doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Regardless of the intricacies of these rules, I thank those involved for making a unified effort in addressing. At least they are doing something.
    Sometimes, nothing is needed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Sometimes, nothing is needed.
    In this case, most everything mandated was needed. JMO. These rules aren't going to cost the majority of DLM racers much money outside of the suppression system which they've been preaching was coming for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan21mid View Post
    In this case, most everything mandated was needed. JMO. These rules aren't going to cost the majority of DLM racers much money outside of the suppression system which they've been preaching was coming for months.
    How do we determine what is needed? What changed from 2014?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

here is my opinion , the majority of DLM racers as a whole are barely able to afford to race now, the only ones these rules want affect funds wise , is the few elite touring guys.

Why not have them grand fathered or or on time table its not just the racers do the suppliers have what they need to get the job done also

I pinch every penny I can to make it to the racetrack every week so I know. I'd be willing to say 90% of the LM guys at our local track are already compliant with the seat rule, hans, and fuel cells. That leaves the suppression system to purchase over the offseason. If guys can't afford an $800 fire system, and possibly a $500 seat or $500 HANS, then DLM racing is not what they need to be doing. If it comes down to $800-$2000 worth of protection, human life is worth much more than that but that's JMO.

Thumbs down They've fixed little and they're probably gonna end up doing more harm.

I read the article, and every racer that was injured already had the gear they rushed to legislate. They aren't using logic, they're using emotion and that never goes well, enacting laws rules just to say you did something is never a good idea. The only racer that was hurt or killed that they mentioned who didn't already have an FC seat was Unger and his injuries weren't related to not having an FC or not having a HANS. The two burn victims both had FC seats and couldn't get out in a timely fashion or at all. The only thing they mandated that makes any sense is the fire suppression system, the rest is legislative over reach and is too much like big government.

Why is is yours or anybody else's business to tell me what you think I should have to use?
    Politically Incorrect.

Well when people continue to get hurt/killed and insurance companies start charging more and/or shutting tracks down then i suppose it becomes their business. When you're competing under a certain track/sanction's rules package then that's their right to tell you what you need to have in order to compete. I get where you're coming from but these safety rules in this day in age just seem like a no brainer to me.

How much do you know about the seats? That alone could be enough to make a guy run another class.

INCORRECT. Not emotion at all. These changes have been discussed and researched for well over a year. Ask any chassis builder or race team that was visited by Rick Schwallie last year. The incidents of this year only reinforced the need for these changes.

It is AMAZING to me that people are willing to argue that these things aren't needed. There is a reason that all the safety equipment is mandated at the highest levels of auto racing. We have got to get out of the mentality that additional safety requirements are a bad thing.

And those of you that think it won't affect your local track... wait until they get insurance evaluations. This is not a knee reaction at all.

Safety rules are needed but what isn't needed is these sanctioning bodies and groups dictating everything. This sport grew because it gives owners, drivers and teams a sport that wasn't dictated by an organization like NASCAR or the many short track pavement sanctioning groups that are no longer around. Constantly changing adding dictating rules will only lead to smaller car counts, NASCAR type equality and less actual racing. Safety is one thing but this sport grew because of few regulations. We don't need an Obama liberal bigger government (Lucas) type of governing in dirt late model racing. We need a conservative type of governing of the rules so we don't end up with a watered down product of what we have.
    Last edited by onlyfacts; 11-17-2016 at 09:32 AM.

People don't realize how much influence insurance companies have over safety rules.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!