Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas rules

maybe maybe not but it would be helpful also a window net and maybe even a solid steering wheel , you break your hand the solid wheel looks pretty good after that

Since the containment seat has become a lot more widely used in the sport, the amount of concussions have sky rocketed. What the are trying to prevent by mandating the use of a $2k+ Seat could be solved with a $20 window net. They cars are already tough to see out of when you have the seat mounted down in the car with the proper head clearence. I don't see where mandating a certain seat is helping anyone but the manufactures of said seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    This isn't a bad idea, actually, but it would require pretty significant modifications to the chassis.
    leave the driver where there at and move the door bars and the left side of the hoop out 3 or 4 inches , probably wouldnt change much on set up.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    leave the driver where there at and move the door bars and the left side of the hoop out 3 or 4 inches , probably wouldnt change much on set up.
    I agree it wouldn't change setup all that much, it still would require pretty significant updates to basically every late model chassis in the country. It's a really solid idea, but not really feasible to implement all at once. Now, if all new chassis were required to be built that way, in a decade or so just about all of the "old" style cars would be filtered out.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

On his most recent DoD story, JD said him and Barry are developing a new car and are going to move the cage around a little to make the greenhouse a little bigger and make it easier to get out of if its upside down so things are already in the works there.

Personally, I see no issue with safety rules. If the Series didn't require safety belts and helmets, there'd be an idiot driving without them.

As far as the seats go, MOST forms of racing have a long ways to go on seats (or requirements for them). At the Late Model Nationals in September at Knoxville, I saw numerous cars with $40-100 seats (that IMO shouldn't even be allowed to be sold on the market).

Why, because they're the cheapest. Sometimes you have to save drivers (and owners) from themselves. They'll spend $200,000 to chase a tour (minimum) but won't spend $500 on a seat? Willing to spend $40,000+ on an engine, but not willing to spend $1000 for a fire bottle system? Willing to spend $800 (per event) on tires but not willing to spend $1000 on a fuel cell?

The argument that it will put teams out of business is laughable. All these rules put together don't scratch the surface of what teams are spending on replacing parts that aren't worn out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    Personally, I see no issue with safety rules. If the Series didn't require safety belts and helmets, there'd be an idiot driving without them.

As far as the seats go, MOST forms of racing have a long ways to go on seats (or requirements for them). At the Late Model Nationals in September at Knoxville, I saw numerous cars with $40-100 seats (that IMO shouldn't even be allowed to be sold on the market).

Why, because they're the cheapest. Sometimes you have to save drivers (and owners) from themselves. They'll spend $200,000 to chase a tour (minimum) but won't spend $500 on a seat? Willing to spend $40,000+ on an engine, but not willing to spend $1000 for a fire bottle system? Willing to spend $800 (per event) on tires but not willing to spend $1000 on a fuel cell?

The argument that it will put teams out of business is laughable. All these rules put together don't scratch the surface of what teams are spending on replacing parts that aren't worn out yet.
    not every one racing a late model is spending or has that kind of money, im all for safty, but a lot of this stuff is way over priced. How much do you think the actual materials cost to build that $500 PLUS SEAT? AS FAR AS FIRE GOES, I THINK MORE RESPONSIBILITY SHOULD BE PUT ON THE TRACKS TO HAVE BETTER EQUIPPED SAFETY CREWS. sorry, left the caps lock button on.....

The problem is they are not $500 seats. I overlooked the SFI part (and its significance) at first. Those are $2k+ seats at least. I'm not saying the National guys cant afford them, but this will have disastrous consequences when the tours come to town and expect to draw local cars.

Yea all the touring guys lucas and woo it shouldnt rele affect them. But it sucks for budget local guys and hopefully im wrong but it looks like all ump lates will have these rules. http://www.dirtcarump.com/2016/11/09...council-specs/

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdann View Post
    Yea all the touring guys lucas and woo it shouldnt rele affect them. But it sucks for budget local guys and hopefully im wrong but it looks like all ump lates will have these rules. http://www.dirtcarump.com/2016/11/09...council-specs/
    Yes, this rule will be in affect for UMP Late Models as well as UMP Crates. I'd have to assume the SFI 39.2 Specification will be removed and simply a containment seat will be required. There's no way weekly guys can afford NASCAR seats so I'd expect that to be revised.

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    The problem is they are not $500 seats. I overlooked the SFI part (and its significance) at first. Those are $2k+ seats at least. I'm not saying the National guys cant afford them, but this will have disastrous consequences when the tours come to town and expect to draw local cars.
    There is more than 1 company out there to buy seats from. My brother had one that met these rules he paid $500 for and numerous IMCA guys have them (and they race for PEANUTS compared to any SLM).

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    move the seat over away from the door
    How about moving the door away from the seat instead? hahahahahahahaaa

The sanctioning bodies should negotiate a group buy/advertising deal with the seat and fire bottle outfits to give the racers a price break... I did it in 1987 with my new street stock division. My rules allowed a guy to use his stock 3 point factory belts to start the season then buy a new set of 5 point belts for $79 and get a $30 rebate via mail.

Plus they could offer the locals a one race grace period on the new seats, cells, etc. That would allow schmoes like me to race at home with the big boys.

I don't really agree with the mandatory head/neck restraint. I, like some others here, have reservations that they may actually do more harm than good on short tracks. Heck I still hate the thought of full face helmets.

And tell me why mirrors aren't allowed... if someone is 'mirror driving' the flagman has a black flag for that. Seems like the pavement guys don't have problems with them. And I think we'd have a lot fewer yellows...
    Last edited by Krooser; 11-10-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Education, Education, Education would make leaps and bounds improvement in the safety of the sport. Here's the problem SFI certs will hurt this sport. There is great information and guidance in the SFI research but making companies pay for those certs will drive up costs. the fuel cell rule is not reasonable to me, and the 39.2 seat rule is way overboard and to be honest very unfair considering the options we have. The big problem here is there are companies selling seats that they call "containment " that are not. Hope this gets cleared up.

The wheel cover should probably just be banned. After the conversations with Lucas oil administration and the people at a few seat manufacturers yesterday I am very optimistic that these rules will be cleared up by Pri.

Otherwise I just call on everyone to stick together and just say "no" and race elsewhere. I'm a huge advocate for safety but I believe there are "Equally safe" ways to service our concerns other than selling out to the "safety mafia"

Another part of it is they are mandating this stuff which adds 2-4 thousand dollars to the price to race and yet they are still paying the same purses as they did 20 years ago. I wouldn't doubt that there are some companies just licking their chops knowing that it's now mandatory so we'll just up the price. If you think that doesn't happen then you're a fool.

A 10 lbs fire bottle is not small, where are they typically mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    How about moving the door away from the seat instead? hahahahahahahaaa
    how wide do you want the car you dummy

Nope you guys are all wrong. MR GEARHEAD will tell you how stupid you are and anyone that doesn't want to run a SFI seat is skimping on safety and is stupid.

Curious if anyone knows if the seat that Brian Ruhlman has started using would be an approved seat.

Cutman, judging by how thin the head padding looks I would be surprised if it would pass, the SFI approved seats have a very wide pad on them. Also it takes a while to get through the SFI certification so they may be going through the process.

Vande077, can you please point us to the $ 500 SFI 39.2 seat? The lowest price one I have seen is ISP at $3,400-$3,800. I would gladly buy one for my next race car instead of another high priced one.

I like many of the other late model guys have full containment seats, I used a butler built, custom built for me, very robust, very well made, and a great seat. Cost was not cheap, $ 1,600 or so, but well worth it. I cannot see the need to get rid of this seat and replace it with a different one. My current seat provides a very high level of structure and safety for our needs.