Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's up with Hagerstown?

Been hearing they may not open or might sell the track is this just a rumor or is there some truth to it?

Hope they dont close for good.
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Didn't we have a discussion on here a few months back that there were rumors that Greg Gunter was considering buying Hagerstown? Personally, I think that would be the best thing to happen for the DLM teams and fans in the area considering he already owns Winchester..... have not heard anything further.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Didn't we have a discussion on here a few months back that there were rumors that Greg Gunter was considering buying Hagerstown? Personally, I think that would be the best thing to happen for the DLM teams and fans in the area considering he already owns Winchester..... have not heard anything further.
    I believe it is confirmed that Ernie is returning. In fact on Turn 5 Turnaround FB page Danny says that Ernie is looking forward to a successful 2017 season.

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    I believe it is confirmed that Ernie is returning. In fact on Turn 5 Turnaround FB page Danny says that Ernie is looking forward to a successful 2017 season.
    Ernie is NOT returning. So now what?

Everyone will have to be motorcycle racing fans. The Steel Shoe National Series has a big two day event lined up there. Flat track is back at Hagerstown in 2017 woohooo!!!!

Calling GREG GUNTER............

If I had to guess, Lisa would step in seeing as how her crew still handles the pa sprint speedweek event, flat track event, monster truck event. Buuuut maybe Rick Jones dumps Roaring Knob in time to pick up Hagerstown to everyones chagrin...

Rumors have swirled since mid-season. I don't buy into any until official releases are made.

Ernie Davis is out, and that is a fact as he released his own statement. From his statement, it sounded like it was his own decision. I was told that he did have an option to return for 2017, but it is what it is, and he's done.

I don't forsee a takeover from Greg Gunter. The rumors of Gunter were releasing his lease of Potomac to the Hollidge family, and purchasing Hagerstown. I was told a purchase offer of Hagerstown was made and declined by Frank Plessinger.

I've been told that Joe Padula and Doug Timmons are in the mix to take over racing operations. Again, just more rumors and hearsay.

The only I know is we will all need to wait patiently to see how this plays out. The important thing is Hagerstown needs good leadership in 2017.

Susquehanna speedway, Port Royal speedway and now Selinsgrove speedway have all put down new clay for the upcoming season. Does no one ship to Hagerstown now?

I dont think you will see anyone putting new clay on that track unless they had the deed..

It is a shame because at one time Hagerstown was one of the premier dirt tracks in the ENTIRE country.

It's a very tough deal to promote this speedway. The Plessinger's want complete control over the weekly track prep and get all the concession money. As a promoter you need to pay the weekly fee which is high enough to include paying the Plessinger staff for track preparation with no say how it is prepared on top of that a promoter does not get any money from the food sold.

This is not a bash on the Plessinger Family because it is their property and can handle it like they want and a promoter knows the terms going in so there is no hidden agenda. Everyone criticized the promoter for not having the traditional big shows. Any businessman or woman will tell you that financially under this type of contract it is next to impossible to break even let alone make money.

I really hope the Plessinger Family either gives it another shot at running the speedway or it is sold to someone that can provide the financial stability and the patience to rebuild the traditions.

On the chance there is no one to step up for the weekly shows, I wonder if the Plessingers will step up for the Lucas show and/or some other specials?
    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

"You rarely get positive results from people who do nothing but complain".

Quote Originally Posted by prodirtcar32 View Post
    It's a very tough deal to promote this speedway. The Plessinger's want complete control over the weekly track prep and get all the concession money. As a promoter you need to pay the weekly fee which is high enough to include paying the Plessinger staff for track preparation with no say how it is prepared on top of that a promoter does not get any money from the food sold.

This is not a bash on the Plessinger Family because it is their property and can handle it like they want and a promoter knows the terms going in so there is no hidden agenda. Everyone criticized the promoter for not having the traditional big shows. Any businessman or woman will tell you that financially under this type of contract it is next to impossible to break even let alone make money.

I really hope the Plessinger Family either gives it another shot at running the speedway or it is sold to someone that can provide the financial stability and the patience to rebuild the traditions.

If seeing the mighty Hagerstown Speedway fall into the annual winter rumor ritual wasn't depressing enough, this certainly was the topper. This sounds difficult during the budding years of good car counts let alone at a time where the very opposite is taking place.

Such a shame. Frank spent more on orange and white paint a year than the average factory worker made in wages. There was never a time where we didn't appreciate the sparkle Hagerstown took pride in displaying and I suspected they would never face declining times but I could say that for many tracks who suffered the same fate. You would have thought H-town could weather any storm much longer than other tracks, though.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Quote Originally Posted by RacerRose View Post
    Rumors have swirled since mid-season. I don't buy into any until official releases are made.

Ernie Davis is out, and that is a fact as he released his own statement. From his statement, it sounded like it was his own decision. I was told that he did have an option to return for 2017, but it is what it is, and he's done.

I don't forsee a takeover from Greg Gunter. The rumors of Gunter were releasing his lease of Potomac to the Hollidge family, and purchasing Hagerstown. I was told a purchase offer of Hagerstown was made and declined by Frank Plessinger.

I've been told that Joe Padula and Doug Timmons are in the mix to take over racing operations. Again, just more rumors and hearsay.

The only I know is we will all need to wait patiently to see how this plays out. The important thing is Hagerstown needs good leadership in 2017.
    would love to see Timmons or Padula run Hagerstown, if the Plessingers
    Don't operate it in 2017. Heck, I'd love it, if either one of those guys took over at Roaring Knob!

Hearing rumors that Doug Timmons/Lisa Plessinger will be co promotors in 2017?
    Last edited by BTExpress; 12-02-2016 at 02:06 PM.

A partial schedule of the Appalachian Speedweek is on their website and Selinsgrove is in the final Saturday show and Hagerstown is out. So other than the Lucas show not looking like much will go on.

Hopefully Hagerstown gets things back on track for next year but if not, maybe Lucas Oil could look at moving the race over to Lincoln (PA) or Williams Grove speedway.

Nothing official but I'm hearing they will be running the Lucas Oil show as scheduled an that is a good thing.