Default Cage modification?

Can you make an existing cage taller without making the car unsafe? Head clearance in my car is at a minimum. If this car gets on it's top, I'm not getting out without help. I want to make the cage taller to give me more clearance. I know, buying a car with a tall cage is probably the best option. But, it is a non-option for me as the funds will not allow it. I appreciate any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer7R View Post
    Can you make an existing cage taller without making the car unsafe? Head clearance in my car is at a minimum. If this car gets on it's top, I'm not getting out without help. I want to make the cage taller to give me more clearance. I know, buying a car with a tall cage is probably the best option. But, it is a non-option for me as the funds will not allow it. I appreciate any input.
    It can certainly be done. I would replace as much of the main loop as possible, not scab something on the halo area only. I actually plan to have a car done this winter.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Look at lowering the seat, laying it back a bit more and gaining room that way, too.

SPark

Raise roof and simply add another loop on top of the halos. Gusset the corner of each one and that'll be plenty strong.

Default Extended

Quote Originally Posted by Racer7R View Post
    Have seen this done before on sprint/midget stuff. Essentially stacked halo bars. I would say there is a way to do this like dirt buster suggested without cutting anything on the car currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Buster View Post
    Raise roof and simply add another loop on top of the halos. Gusset the corner of each one and that'll be plenty strong.
    Don't see where this will help driver get out of car easier like the op stated. Does help with helmet to top of overall cage height, which is also important.

Lower deck height (top of door tin to get more escape room. Most rules allow an escape route to be made for the right side by lowering that portion of deck.
    Last edited by 95shaw; 11-22-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Default First things first

Quote Originally Posted by 95shaw View Post
    Don't see where this will help driver get out of car easier like the op stated. Does help with helmet to top of overall cage height, which is also important.

Lower deck height (top of door tin to get more escape room. Most rules allow an escape route to be made for the right side by lowering that portion of deck.
    Head clearance is priority. If you get upside down and your head hits the ground/roof and breaks your neck getting out of the car it a mute point.

I did it on my son car by removing the hoop and upright bars .I then inserted 1.25
    Tubing into 1.50 tubing 6to8 inches drilling 3/8 holes in 1.50 tubing and pig welding holes .I also left 6 to 8 inches sticking out of top of 1.50 tube then I bent new uprights and hoop drilling the 3/8 holes in them also put new pieces over stubs leaving a 1/4 inch gap between tubes welded holes then gap the 1.25 serves as a backup.if you or whoever welds it is good the weld will be flush take a flapper wheel and hit weld you can not even see splice.the weld will be stronger than the tube if done correctly you are actually doubling the tube at splice.

Thank you to everyone who posted. Since my car is a generic Shaw copy, I have a friend who is a Late Model chassis builder who is going to make the cage taller. He understands the importance of having head clearance in case of a rollover. I think he is going to do something similar to what you suggested RW57.

rw57 covered it well

No problem glad to help. I did it on son's car for extra head room there was a local driver who was very lucky that he wasn't killed when his car got upside down his head was driven into race track because of a lack of head room he had to wear a halo for 6 months and has made a successful return to racing. I decided then that that that wasn't gonna happen to him.if you will notice all new late models have a tall cage another thing I did was put a double bar beside driver like a swartz late model

First off I do not recommend doing anything like this if you are not VERY confident in your fabrication abilities! As a tall guy myself though I had this issue before designing my own cars and have made cage modifications to several cars. if you want to retain the normal appearance without adding stuff on top the only acceptable way to do it is to cut the top off and leave at least 3" of tube above and below your cut to allow yourself room to slug the inside. Add what is necessary to achieve your desired height drill two 3/8 holes and plug weld them it help spread the load and assure that you slug stays intact. I probably worded that in the most confusing way possible so if you have any questions feel free to give me a call and I go over how we do it. 573-330-8462 Good luck!
    EFR Motorsports / Team EERC
    www.teameerc.com
    erik@teameerc.com
    573-330-8462
    6103 Highway DD
    Farmington Mo 63640

RW57, the guy who is doing the mod for me had a serious wreck like the one you described. He too had to wear a halo. He was well on his way to being one of the best late model drivers in the nation. Now, I hope he becomes one of the best chassis builders in the nation.

I am having this done this winter, as well. So long as the fabricator knows his stuff, and has good equipment, you should have no problems. Good luck!