Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car attitude?

Default Car attitude?

What influences a car's the most. If your car is by the book but feels and looks like it's on the rr harder than any corner. How can it be adjusted to get the car back up on the nose. What about the shock angle ? Had a 225 and 300 on rr ,still same result

You could add 25lbs to the l/f,Increase l/f shock rebound,raise r/r bars up.All of these changes will effect other areas and will changes the balance of the car.So more changes will be in order to get the car back driving good.That is the tough thing with a l/m you have to hold the body at an attitude and make it driveable also .

If you are a local racer, who isn't real experienced, you are better off tuning the car on how it drives. Don't worry what it looks like.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Had to convince my son of that as long as its fast he's comfortable in it who cares what it looks like our car is at its best when sitting still RS is lower than LS.

What your car looks like on track tells a real driver and crew chief what's going on. The attitude and sound tells you everything always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Buster View Post
    What your car looks like on track tells a real driver and crew chief what's going on. The attitude and sound tells you everything always.
    Tight, loose, on throttle, off throttle, yes. Is the valance 1/2" off ground or 1"? Not really a weekly racer concern. Plenty of people ruin a good car trying to make the picture look good.

Adjusting the car from what you see at the fence is a skill every team needs to be consistently successful. That also means knowing what to look for.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 11-23-2016 at 05:36 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

you are 100% right on the fence thing mastersbuilt , way back when i first started dirt track racing, the old timer that was helping me found more speed from that fence watching the car than i did in it. Then he would explain what he saw, we would correct for it and man, what a difference it made , his help was priceless and i still miss him.

completely agree i can tell a whole lot by how the car looks on the track

It can be done but ive never seen a car rocked back on the rr like I feel and see when someone else drives it. im just trying to understand what factors contribute to it so I can keep in consideration. Btw im I'm very much off the pace so I have nothing to loose

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder69 View Post
    It can be done but ive never seen a car rocked back on the rr like I feel and see when someone else drives it. im just trying to understand what factors contribute to it so I can keep in consideration. Btw im I'm very much off the pace so I have nothing to loose
    Whats the rest of the setup look like? Are you too stiff on RF maybe?
    Politically Incorrect.

We would need to see your whole setup and car type, etc. If your RR birdcage is not clocked properly, or bars not in the correct holes, this could happen.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

54.4 left54.9 rearstandard bar locations by the book and the standard length500 lf 375 rf225 lr 300 rrlift arm 36 outj bar 9.5 inches up on frame. down 3/4 on pinionrr birdcage might be -1 or 0lr birdcage 1 or 0 pretty close18 length at top and 15 at bottom

54.4 left54.9 rearstandard bar locations by the book and the standard length500 lf 375 rf225 lr 300 rrlift arm 36 outj bar 9.5 inches up on frame. down 3/4 on pinionrr birdcage might be -1 or 0lr birdcage 1 or 0 pretty close18 length at top and 15 at bottom
    Both RR bars at 4.5" from axle centerline? Any weight in rear mounted high? RR shock OK?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Just speaking out loud, but if its rocked back on the RR with a 300 lb spring it has to have some roll center issues. It has to be crazy throttle loose off.

I would level out that J bar, 9" or lower on the frame, and even wit pinion to start.

How does your cross weight look on the scales? and how much LR weight? i would like to see that LS% lower too, 53.5% ish.

Just say no...

shocks just got checked. standard 4.5 spacing. 25 lb piece above rr axle tube. ( but ill say it did same without the weight there) and the condition i have been fighting is loose off . sometimes its good gettin in if there is traction but otherwise it is skating. i can back the corner up but then im slow as rip

Are you running crate ?

Steel block aluminium head 600 hp

If I tried to run the nose at 1" I'd be putting a new one on every week. Our track has a whoop section.

One thing I want to add as someone made a point of if you have never had someone watch or video your car from outside the track you are leaving a lot on the table it's amazing what you can see doing this.i always.watch in 3&4 where we race and adjust from what I see.

While feel "should" be everything (actually, results are), I too take into account what can be seen. For me, my 12 year old son is my only crew member (he could tell you the best item on every tracks menu, but beyond that...), and he's only there half of the time. So I rely a great deal on the track photographers! Unfortunately that's after the fact, but beneficial nonetheless.