Default p/s pump requirement

I'm going to a put a 4.0 rack on my black front for next year. Want to put new ps pump on also, but have been told the faster racks need more pressure. I use a hex drive pump on the back of dry sump pump. How much pressure do I need and what pump do u guys like the best?

Just wondering what rack do you have now and are you switching to just get a faster ratio?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Just wondering what rack do you have now and are you switching to just get a faster ratio?
    Switching from a Woodward 3.5 to a Sweet 4.0. Had ps problem last year, so I thought I would speed steering up alittle. Just not sure what I need for a ps pump

When in doubt, Go to the source, check with the manufacturer. Be sure you get the correct width rack!

i have changed from a 3.5 sweet to a 4.2 brt and used the same pump,. and use the same gm front mount pump with a 4.2 woodward

My opinion is to stay with the Woodward. Much better product. Bigger pinion, better splines on steering shaft. Splines will give you less slop in the steering. Also if you are changing you will have to change ujoint on shaft and change the length. It will be a pain in the ass. We had a Woodward in our 02 Rocket. Have a Sweet in new car but would change if it was not such a pain in the ass.