Thread: GRT ride height

Default GRT ride height

Have a buddy looking for the front ride heights on an 05 GRT with gray spindles. Anyone? Thanks in advance

3 5/8 in the front,4 inches in the rear LOOK AT THE LOWERS AT RIDE HEIGHT,if there not fairly flat, some cars where 3 inches on the front,youll see the difference if its at the wrong height

3 inches was with the 96 spindle correct?

just look at your lowers when you use your measurement, they should be relatively flat not much angle in them, it just depends on the car you have,ive had cars with both around that time,

all GRT's had a front ride hieght of 3" for the STD tall spindles thur 2009 but the exceptions are as follows: (besides some guys used 3.125" as a preference)

2002 wide front end = 3.625" easily told by the lower control mounting points are 19" apart instead of the standard 18"

Frye GRT = 3.625" Car is similar to the 2002 wide front end

Now on to your question: If installing the grey spindles GRT used as an option around 2005 to 2009 and are basically a Rayburn spindle with a longer 5" steering arm, then the ride height is between 2.625" and 2.75". This keeps the frame the same height off the ground.

Hope that helps

If I remember right underrail car was 2--3\4 and overall cars where 3, I preferred the gray spindle over the black, gave the guy that bought it everything I had

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    all GRT's had a front ride hieght of 3" for the STD tall spindles thur 2009 but the exceptions are as follows: (besides some guys used 3.125" as a preference)

2002 wide front end = 3.625" easily told by the lower control mounting points are 19" apart instead of the standard 18"

Frye GRT = 3.625" Car is similar to the 2002 wide front end

Now on to your question: If installing the grey spindles GRT used as an option around 2005 to 2009 and are basically a Rayburn spindle with a longer 5" steering arm, then the ride height is between 2.625" and 2.75". This keeps the frame the same height off the ground.

Hope that helps
    and that is why you will have to look at your lowers, ( i have forgotten about grt's gray spindles,we always used frye ones, they were gray also) we always ran the wide front end, i believe its still a very competitive car or front end

Grt74, remember 2-3\4 lf,and 3 rf with 12" rr on my overall cars had a tool made to check heights you remember any of that, I preferred the narrow front gray cause it steered in so good, cars were always tight on entry on smaller tracks

Quote Originally Posted by rakracing View Post
    Grt74, remember 2-3\4 lf,and 3 rf with 12" rr on my overall cars had a tool made to check heights you remember any of that, I preferred the narrow front gray cause it steered in so good, cars were always tight on entry on smaller tracks
    we moved ride heights around but just a little and depending on what a person wanted, we ran both but always ended up going back to the wide front end, while i do agree the narrow would turn in good it was never tight enough getting off the corner for us, i was just referring to the standard stuff, we also liked the shorter j-bar with the 33-36 rear end,free in tight off, with todays shocks and set ups, they will run up front,i might would weld in some extra bars (just a select few) to stiffen the rf area

Always had the 34,35 rear but also liked the short j-bar, all mine where fussy about rear location side to side, think my j-bar was 20-1\4 to locate rear right, I've said before my 05 was great the 06 had no drive off no matter what I did. Wheelman , what chassis number is it

So what are the best years for a Goat?
    When did they stop using 96' spindles?

I worked with Buck Simmons in 02'-03' and we had a 01' with std front end, and an 02' with wide front end. We struggled with the wide car, ended up selling it. The 01'/std car we won 2 track titles with in 03' and put Buck over the 1000 wins threshold(1023) Buck loved that car, he named it Elvis. That car is now in the GA racing HOF in Dahlonega, Ga. These are the only GRT's I've ever been in contact with, but will be in the market again for one of this vintage very soon.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    So what are the best years for a Goat?
    When did they stop using 96' spindles?

I worked with Buck Simmons in 02'-03' and we had a 01' with std front end, and an 02' with wide front end. We struggled with the wide car, ended up selling it. The 01'/std car we won 2 track titles with in 03' and put Buck over the 1000 wins threshold(1023) Buck loved that car, he named it Elvis. That car is now in the GA racing HOF in Dahlonega, Ga. These are the only GRT's I've ever been in contact with, but will be in the market again for one of this vintage very soon.
    It's been a while but I'm pretty sure all this is correct up to 2010 when they started changing stuff every year and didn't follow all the changes after then:

1. ? to 94 cars, where pretty much the same frame wise (around car #150ish)
    2. 95 had a design change, the frame had the main hoop different and the upper rail hieght was changed a little. This basic design stayed the same with very minor changes all the way too the over rail cars. They changed some bracketry and moved or eliminated some bars around but very similar
    3. Spindle was changed to the 96 design which is the same spindle as before just a longer steering arm (4.5" to 5.25")
    4. Option for 96 computer car, easily told by the extra bars and 37# heavier frame.
    5. 99 cars had the under rails changed from 1.5" to 1.25" and rear ride hieght changed to 4.125 from the old 3.0" for LR behind hike travel.
    6. option 2001-2002 was the wide front end cars, some had much thinker tubing on the front clip also.
    7. 2004 cars had one piece 4 link brackets with 1/2" holes
    8. 2006 or 2007 was the first over rail cars. There was a wide tail change later can't remember when though seems like it was a year latter.
    9. 2009 was the last of the basic design that had minimal slight changes from the 99's and the 2010 was different looking chassis wise but I didn't keep up with it after then to say with much accuracy.

That's the short version.

We had a couple of different 99's that won a lot of races, mainly at Devils Bowl. Used 3 1/8" between the top of the front lower A-frame & the bottom of the frame in the front, used 4" for the RR. But we were also running at a track that is unlike others. The last one was retired in 2009. Had a used 2005 after the 99's and just never got it figured out like the older ones.
    Last edited by LateModel B23; 12-19-2016 at 08:31 PM.

billet, I believe 05 was first for overrail, had one.. 07 they went to wide tail and lost most of there customers, still think the 05 could win today