Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Hartford (MI) Speedway - Going from a 1/2 mile to a 3/8's mile. Pictures.............

Hartford Speedway
    Hartford, Michigan
    Track is going from a 1/2 mile to a 3/8's mile
    Track will have more banking than what is shown in the pictures on their press release.
    Link to press release and pics - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...43212159037952
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

I fully understand the reasoning behind the closures and these moves the half mile tracks are making to the smaller tracks. It's just business and survival. But dirt racing dies just a little bit every time a historical, big sweeping half mile is bulldozed and replaced by a bull ring or closes altogether. Racetracks are casualties of ever rising costs just as racers are these days.

There are only 3 one mile dirt tracks that are used for auto racing left in existence after the demolition of Syracuse and it appears the 1/2 miles are headed in that same direction. Only Knoxville, Eldora and Perris out in Cali are thriving or at the very least holding their own. Terre Haute is managing to keep the doors open for a few specials throughout the season but periodically there is talk of it possibly biting the dust. Belleville is just surviving and Volusia Speedway Park has ceased weekly operation with February Speedweeks being the only racing activity there unless something changes.

We've seen Owattanna, Freeport, Farley, Granite City, Pecotonica and now the Hartford 1/2 mile either cease operation or be completely razed into oblivion. It's one of those deals where we all know why this is happening and it's better to do what it takes to keep tracks in existence than to have them close for good, but it's a little sad, too.

I-96 speedway here in michigan just shortened the big 1/2 mile into a big 3/8....... Much better racing in my opinion...... And much easier on motors.....

do you want much better racing or high speed events that is hard on equipment

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I fully understand the reasoning behind the closures and these moves the half mile tracks are making to the smaller tracks. It's just business and survival. But dirt racing dies just a little bit every time a historical, big sweeping half mile is bulldozed and replaced by a bull ring or closes altogether. Racetracks are casualties of ever rising costs just as racers are these days.

There are only 3 one mile dirt tracks that are used for auto racing left in existence after the demolition of Syracuse and it appears the 1/2 miles are headed in that same direction. Only Knoxville, Eldora and Perris out in Cali are thriving or at the very least holding their own. Terre Haute is managing to keep the doors open for a few specials throughout the season but periodically there is talk of it possibly biting the dust. Belleville is just surviving and Volusia Speedway Park has ceased weekly operation with February Speedweeks being the only racing activity there unless something changes.

We've seen Owattanna, Freeport, Farley, Granite City, Pecotonica and now the Hartford 1/2 mile either cease operation or be completely razed into oblivion. It's one of those deals where we all know why this is happening and it's better to do what it takes to keep tracks in existence than to have them close for good, but it's a little sad, too.
    There is 4 1 mile left..... Springfield, DuQuoin, Ind, Not shure if its still there - Sacramento,... Springfield had races last year .Dont know if the rest did...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 12-03-2016 at 01:07 PM.

DuQuoin still has Arca, USAC Silver Crown, and UMP Modifieds every year on Labor Day weekend.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    There is 4 1 mile left..... Springfield, DuQuoin, Ind, Not shure if its still there - Sacramento,... Springfield had races last year .Dont know if the rest did...
    Not any more, Gary. With Syracuse being demolished late last year there are just 3. The Sacramento CalExpo dirt mile hasn't hosted auto racing since sometime in the mid 1990's. Only the hay burners race at Sactown these days.

The Indiana State Fairgrounds dirt mile in Indianapolis hosted the Hoosier Hundred for USAC Silver Crown cars in May and both Springfield and Du Quoin both hosted 100 milers in August and September for the USAC Silver Crown cars and ARCA stock cars during the respective State Fair's. The Indy Mile, Springfield and Du Quoin all host auto racing because Bob Sargent is willing to promote the races at those tracks. Without Sarge I doubt there would be auto racing at any one of the 3. THANKS SARGE!!

I attend all the events at the mile dirt tracks in support of long dirt track racing. I would be saddened if auto racing events were no longer held at them. The dirt mile's are an integral part of racing history in America.

The trend is to smaller tracks and as I said earlier, I fully understand why. Most fans these days like the slam bam muscle up action at the bull rings. I tend to agree, the bull rings can produce some wild action and obviously they are much easier on engines and drive train's and track prep costs are substantially lower than the longer tracks. The only point I was making is that it's kinda' sad to seen the 1/2 miles headed for extinction like the miles.

Is the Columbus, Ohio track at the fairgrounds still open? I think it was a mile and used to go to the Charity Newsies AMA race there when I worked in that area in the mid '60s. Don't know when, if ever, that cars ran there.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Is the Columbus, Ohio track at the fairgrounds still open? I think it was a mile and used to go to the Charity Newsies AMA race there when I worked in that area in the mid '60s. Don't know when, if ever, that cars ran there.
    Did a little investigating and found that Columbus was not on the AMA schedule in 2016.

However, I was wrong in regards to the Sacramento, CA mile at CalExpo. They do, in fact race something other than hay burners on the Sac Mile. The AMA Flat Track series races there. Several other surprises were on the schedule, as well. In addition to Sacramento the motorcycles race on 1 mile dirt tracks in Oklahoma City, Scottsdale, AZ and Lexington, KY.

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    do you want much better racing or high speed events that is hard on equipment
    I want crappy black/ dry slick slow one lane racing on tracks of all sizes with dust rolling into my eyes and covering my popcorn with a crunchy topping!!! Nothing better, and then heading homes with filthy clothes, a head full of dirt and a dirt covered car!!! It just don't any better. hahahahahahahaaaaa

I take it clayton you need to go assfalt racing would be your style

I take it clayton you need to go assfalt racing would be your style
    No I need to put a curse on race tracks that don't farm and water their tracks. One that will cause a rain out each time they fail to do the right thing!!

D*mn... I find myself agreeing with Clayton! Who's next... old fan, Blackford, Litey?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

CIRF, Thanks for the info about Columbus. The flat track Harleys were awesome there. I should have commented about the Sacramento mile as I now live only an hour up the road. When I was a rookie in Late Models in the late '80s they ran one show for them on the mile. I had an old LM to get my feet wet in the class and ran badly on the area bullrings with it. Debated on it and, for once, let my brain overrule my gut and passed on it. Turned out to be a wise decision as the race was pretty much a mess: bad track, nobody had a clue what to run for gears, lot of cars torn up with the speeds nobody was used to. Went to watch and it was a one shot deal. Not too many of the guys would have returned if they had tried it again.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    CIRF, Thanks for the info about Columbus. The flat track Harleys were awesome there. I should have commented about the Sacramento mile as I now live only an hour up the road. When I was a rookie in Late Models in the late '80s they ran one show for them on the mile. I had an old LM to get my feet wet in the class and ran badly on the area bullrings with it. Debated on it and, for once, let my brain overrule my gut and passed on it. Turned out to be a wise decision as the race was pretty much a mess: bad track, nobody had a clue what to run for gears, lot of cars torn up with the speeds nobody was used to. Went to watch and it was a one shot deal. Not too many of the guys would have returned if they had tried it again.
    We've been through your area many times over the years. I'm not a huge fan of Sactown itself but I really like the area the West of Sactown. It's a lot like home here in the midwest. Flat farmland. Plus, you've got a beautiful area just a few hours to your East. The Reno-Tahoe-Truckee-Carson City area is about as good as it gets. We've vacationed there in the past. I envy you just a bit! LOL!

Glad you dodged a potential bullet in regards to the LM's on the mile. Many, including myself, are of the opinion that the modern generic late models really have no place on the big mile dirt tracks and neither do the mods. They run a sportsman division (the fast cars look a bit like late models) at Springfield and the mortified's at Du Quoin. We hold our breath just a bit every year 'till those guys are safely back in the pit area. The only time I ever witnessed a fatality at a race of any kind was at Springfield during a support class modified race during the Illinois Fall Nationals. The speeds are just too fast.

you just hate stock cars yes there was a fatality at the mile i was there also but I 've seen death at smaller tracks also including 1/4 miles thing happen the mods and late s are alot safer now then when the mod driver at springfield that's for sure

But you go to the high banks which probably has higher speeds then the mile and we know what happened there in recent past

We've been through your area many times over the years. I'm not a huge fan of Sactown itself but I really like the area the West of Sactown. It's a lot like home here in the midwest. Flat farmland. Plus, you've got a beautiful area just a few hours to your East. The Reno-Tahoe-Truckee-Carson City area is about as good as it gets. We've vacationed there in the past. I envy you just a bit! LOL!

Glad you dodged a potential bullet in regards to the LM's on the mile. Many, including myself, are of the opinion that the modern generic late models really have no place on the big mile dirt tracks and neither do the mods. They run a sportsman division (the fast cars look a bit like late models) at Springfield and the mortified's at Du Quoin. We hold our breath just a bit every year 'till those guys are safely back in the pit area. The only time I ever witnessed a fatality at a race of any kind was at Springfield during a support class modified race during the Illinois Fall Nationals. The speeds are just too fast.
    Loved the ARCA cars .. Loved the late Models, But they are just not made to run a 1 mile track....Not safe
    Just like the USAC Sprints Love them, But I love the WoO Sprints, But they just were not made too run on a 1 mile track... Bob Sarge will run them on the Mile till they dont let him no more... Would love too see a 1/4 track on the inside of the Mile at Springfield
    Add...
    The Mods are a lot better then the Lates or WoO are far as safety With the car frame and smaller tires...Now then when the driver was killed there.. And they are Fun too see there....
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 12-04-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Had too Add

But you go to the high banks which probably has higher speeds then the mile and we know what happened there in recent past
    Wrong again oh stupid one! LOL!!

The overall track record at The Belleville Highbanks is just a tick over 129 MPH lap average for WoO winged sprint cars. That record is held by Paul McMahan and was set in 2011.

The overall track record at The Springfield Mile is just shy of 146 MPH lap average for WoO winged sprint cars. That record is held by Sammy Swindell and was set in 1998. I was at Springfield that day and the Illinois State Police had Sammy on the radar gun entering turn 3 at over 171 MPH. The lap Sammy set the overall Springfield track record is the fastest lap ever turned on a dirt speedway of any size.

Due to the unique shape of The High Banks the 129 MPH record was a pretty consistent speed since Belleville is very nearly perfectly round and the cars don't scrub off speed to any significant degree on any part of the racetrack. Springfield has them coming into corners 1 & 3 much faster than they come off of turns 2 & 4.

So, there is a significant amount of difference in the speeds of the two tracks and you are proven to be an ignoramus, once again. But we all knew that!! LOL!!

Wrong again oh stupid one! LOL!!

The overall track record at The Belleville Highbanks is just a tick over 129 MPH lap average for WoO winged sprint cars. That record is held by Paul McMahan and was set in 2011.

The overall track record at The Springfield Mile is just shy of 146 MPH lap average for WoO winged sprint cars. That record is held by Sammy Swindell and was set in 1998. I was at Springfield that day and the Illinois State Police had Sammy on the radar gun entering turn 3 at over 171 MPH. The lap Sammy set the overall Springfield track record is the fastest lap ever turned on a dirt speedway of any size.

Due to the unique shape of The High Banks the 129 MPH record was a pretty consistent speed since Belleville is very nearly perfectly round and the cars don't scrub off speed to any significant degree on any part of the racetrack. Springfield has them coming into corners 1 & 3 much faster than they come off of turns 2 & 4.

So, there is a significant amount of difference in the speeds of the two tracks and you are proven to be an ignoramus, once again. But we all knew that!! LOL!!
    60 to 80 miles faster in to the turn .. Just look at the Gear they run and you know its not close...Not even a 1/2 mile track comes close....
    Sammy Once told me,, I try to run a gear so I dont have to lift.. Going into the turn i tape the brake and hold on... LOL
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 12-04-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: need too add