Default Quick Change pinion mount/plate

Pardon my ignorance, but I need to change the pinion plate/rear end mount for my J-bar and I cant seem to find any info on the correct way to do it. Does the drive yolk affect the pinion crush? anybody know torque spec on drive flange nut?

Winters, sprint style quick change

Thanks in advance!!

No crush sleeve,It's a 3/8 bolt so around 45lbs will work.It's real simple ,I just tighten with regular wrenches and never have problems.

^^^ Agreed! And while I'm not sure what it "calls for" I always put a little RTV (or similar) on the backside of the washer because it can leak gear lube out where the pinion slides over the splines on the lower shaft.

Use silicone on washer to prevent oil from seeping between splines and leaking as said and also make sure the washer isn't split or has a crack in it. It's a belleville spring washer that works like a lock washer and if it's split/cracked the bolt can come out and when the car hikes up instead of pulling the yoke backwards out of the trans end it will simply pull the yoke off the rear end and you have a 8000 RPM rotating mass to take your leg or arm off.

I'd safety wire it myself as I do on all rear ends just for that reason. Just drill a small hole in the yoke edge and the bolt head and add safety wire.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-12-2016 at 06:28 PM.