Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traction Control

As I'm at PRI, I am seeing (and talking to) numerous traction control companies. These companies are all saying that majority of the guys we will run against are actually running it. What's your opinions on this? Or is this one of those subjects comprabable to steroids in bodybuilding. All of the guys are using but they claim they are not.Also, I watched the video from the Dome of Kenny Wallace and at the 1:20 mark you can see he is hammering on the throttle, yet you see his tires slowly instantly. I could be thinking into it too much

It will hurt a good racer, but will help one that is not so good at throttle control.

They are full of crap. Does it get run? Sure. But very little by really good teams.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 12-14-2016 at 04:51 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

MBR I have to disagree.

Racers are willing to spend thousands on newest style motor, shocks, light weight parts etc etc.

If they think traction control will give them an edge they will buy it & try it.

You just won't get an answer from them if it helps or hurts b/c they don't want to admit to using it.

Same as for tire treating.

Quote Originally Posted by toyracer View Post
    MBR I have to disagree.

Racers are willing to spend thousands on newest style motor, shocks, light weight parts etc etc.

If they think traction control will give them an edge they will buy it & try it.

You just won't get an answer from them if it helps or hurts b/c they don't want to admit to using it.

Same as for tire treating.
    They have tried it. Then they sold it. I know where the original poster races and can personally attest that at least a couple of the fastest cars he races with do not have it. I can also tell you from first hand experience you can run laps as fast as any Lucas guy on a slick surface with no TC on your car.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 12-14-2016 at 05:23 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Gotta agree with Masters. I know one that used to race on tour that tested it. Took it off after one session. I think Terry Casey took them all when he quit racing lol

I know a few drivers that tried and disliked it. The primary complaint I heard was that they couldn't break traction when they needed to in traffic.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

There sure are a lot of them for sale all the time. They tell you you are running against it so you will by it. The only guys that I have seen with it, doesn't run good. Maybe the guys who run good with it hides it better. Maybe not. I can tell you this though. When I put a better driver in my car, it picks up 2 or 3 tenths a lap over me driving it myself. I have had some of the best in dirt late models right now drive for me in the past. Some guys are just better than others, and the guys that aren't as good will buy anything trying to go faster. Tire prep, new chassis, new shocks, you name it. Then they look for excuses as to why they aren't running with the guys that are beating them. Traction control companies and the like exploit that to sell more product. Just the cold hard truth.

i can remember several years back, bloomer tested it and was close to 2/10 faster with out it , he said sometimes you need to spin the tires a little , especially with a car a little on the tight side. i think he did the test for circle track , but not sure.

I thought it was.Moyer did the test for Circle track or whatever magazine did the write up? Musta been 10 years ago maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by BNaylor91s View Post
    As I'm at PRI, I am seeing (and talking to) numerous traction control companies. These companies are all saying that majority of the guys we will run against are actually running it. What's your opinions on this? Or is this one of those subjects comprabable to steroids in bodybuilding. All of the guys are using but they claim they are not.Also, I watched the video from the Dome of Kenny Wallace and at the 1:20 mark you can see he is hammering on the throttle, yet you see his tires slowly instantly. I could be thinking into it too much
    Traction control in and of itself will NOT make you faster, unless your a complete tool behind the wheel. If the chassis isn't tuned correctly to maximize traction to begin with all the TC will be able to do is make you more consistent. It will also hide flaws in the setup and hinder your FULL potential. This is kinda old news. I worked with a team and we tried it for 3 weeks, even had a HOF driver and he hated it, referred to it as, "The Choke". Didn't make us one bit faster, but the car owner just had to know. He bought it off Robby Gordon after he won Loudon with it. Same complaint as mentioned by another poster, "couldn't turn the car with throttle when needed".
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 12-14-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Politically Incorrect.

We tried TC years ago........the driver forgot which switch was TC and nitrous, and piled it into the wall.

I thought traction control was illegal in most sanctioning bodies?

I just find it funny all these top guys are telling everyone they are cheating & it doesn't help.

If I'm out running you with t/c I wouldn't be telling you & I don't think Bloomer would be either. Jmo

I haven't seen him advertise any of the tire treatments he runs

I would assume that few guys run TC anymore, I'm sure some do but not as bad as it was at one time. Cars are better, drivers are better and motors are smoother.

That said I find it almost a shock anymore when a guy passes a tire test... I would assume it is 100x more widely used than a TC.

Quote Originally Posted by reid boys View Post
    That's the one I remember also. Hard to argue with those numbers!

Didn't Dale Mcdowell publicly test one also?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I thought traction control was illegal in most sanctioning bodies?

I just find it funny all these top guys are telling everyone they are cheating & it doesn't help.

If I'm out running you with t/c I wouldn't be telling you & I don't think Bloomer would be either. Jmo

I haven't seen him advertise any of the tire treatments he runs
    Believe what you want. It just isn't all that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    That's the one I remember also. Hard to argue with those numbers!

Didn't Dale Mcdowell publicly test one also?
    Actually, not hard to argue. You ever had the car get faster in a test session and thought it was because you did something only later to learn it was tires or track condition?

But above all, this was an empty track.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Barry Bonds was a great baseball player before steroids (oh wait he never used steroids lol).

Point is t/c is not going to make a poor combination good but will make a good combination better.

70-80 laps on hard dry slick track I don't know any driver who is looking for wheel spin at that time.

Trying to keep the car straight & on the gas.

Barry Bonds was a great baseball player before steroids (oh wait he never used steroids lol).

Point is t/c is not going to make a poor combination good but will make a good combination better.

70-80 laps on hard dry slick track I don't know any driver who is looking for wheel spin at that time.

Trying to keep the car straight & on the gas.
    Zero wheelspin is never fastest on dirt.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1