Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Freddy Smith/GVS split?? What happened?

The "Bloomquist/Wright split?? What happened?" thread got me to thanking about the once dominant (or at least very successful) GVS team in the 90s. Freddy Smith was definitely very good with them in the very early 90s as they help to put each other on the national map. What went wrong with the two? They both continued their success for a bit after seperating as Freddy's new team won him a championship while GVS landed Billy Moyer and they won numerous big races.

Anyone know why Moyer eventually left? Just wanted to do his own thing?

Also what ended up with the GVS team in general? I seem to remember Don O'Neal was going to race with them in 2001 but it never really materialized. Seen GVS as a sponsor throughout the 2000s but wasn't sure what actually happened to the team.

Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    The "Bloomquist/Wright split?? What happened?" thread got me to thanking about the once dominant (or at least very successful) GVS team in the 90s. Freddy Smith was definitely very good with them in the very early 90s as they help to put each other on the national map. What went wrong with the two? They both continued their success for a bit after seperating as Freddy's new team won him a championship while GVS landed Billy Moyer and they won numerous big races.

Anyone know why Moyer eventually left? Just wanted to do his own thing?

Also what ended up with the GVS team in general? I seem to remember Don O'Neal was going to race with them in 2001 but it never really materialized. Seen GVS as a sponsor throughout the 2000s but wasn't sure what actually happened to the team.

Thanks for any info.
    I don't know as much about what went on with GVS/Freddy. If memory serves me I think it had more to do with Freddy wanting to call more of his own shots, but more and more this was counter to what the crew chief(Ronnie Stuckey)wanted. Its kinda like trying to have a team with 2 top tier drivers, pretty soon the forces that drive them to success end up increasing to a level that forces them apart. With Freddy & Ronnie my guess is it was along those lines, then add in the opportunity for Freddie to move back home to NC and drive for Clayton and call all his own shots and it was an opportunity Freddy couldn't pass up.

Ironically at the end of the Moyer/GVS pairing almost everybody left. Moyer has never really liked being a tour follower, so he went back to his own deal. GVS was all about being "The" premier tour team, trying desperately to land a Big national sponsor. Ronnie had come into his own as one of the most highly respected crew chiefs, but in the end of this team, Stuckey left to join the newly reformed Bloomquist team and Moyer was tired of commuting to Louisiana and went back to Batesville and running an outlaw schedule. GVS was also preoccupied with trying to build its own cars with several different efforts, one involving Frank McClendon of Custom Chassis fame called, "Frankenstein". During Freddie's GVS tenure they built and sold a car called, "The G-Force" a leaf/coil car. In 2000 I think it was GVS teamed up with Bloomquist, we at Carrera built them some shocks for speed weeks, but this pairing blew up before it got back outta Florida. If I remember right it had to do with t-shirt sales and who could do what...

The Bloomquist & Stuckey pairing didn't make as much magic as most feared it would, and following a highway rollover that seriously injured Ronnie they soon parted ways. I think it was similar to Freddy & Stuckey, both smart and experienced but with different views on how to get what they wanted from the car.

As to what became of GVS finally, I think after years on the road and pressing so hard to be "THE TEAM" and push DLM racing to the next level, along with pressing matters with his primary business, Gulf Valve Service, he simply pulled back and downsized early in the 00's, exhausted.
    Politically Incorrect.

Dam Stede your a encyclopedia....lol
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Geritol is a helluva drug

Quote Originally Posted by davis2902 View Post
    Geritol is a helluva drug
    Do they still make that?
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    I don't know as much about what went on with GVS/Freddy. If memory serves me I think it had more to do with Freddy wanting to call more of his own shots, but more and more this was counter to what the crew chief(Ronnie Stuckey)wanted. Its kinda like trying to have a team with 2 top tier drivers, pretty soon the forces that drive them to success end up increasing to a level that forces them apart. With Freddy & Ronnie my guess is it was along those lines, then add in the opportunity for Freddie to move back home to NC and drive for Clayton and call all his own shots and it was an opportunity Freddy couldn't pass up. Ironically at the end of the Moyer/GVS pairing almost everybody left. Moyer has never really liked being a tour follower, so he went back to his own deal. GVS was all about being "The" premier tour team, trying desperately to land a Big national sponsor. Ronnie had come into his own as one of the most highly respected crew chiefs, but in the end of this team, Stuckey left to join the newly reformed Bloomquist team and Moyer was tired of commuting to Louisiana and went back to Batesville and running an outlaw schedule. GVS was also preoccupied with trying to build its own cars with several different efforts, one involving Frank McClendon of Custom Chassis fame called, "Frankenstein". During Freddie's GVS tenure they built and sold a car called, "The G-Force" a leaf/coil car. In 2000 I think it was GVS teamed up with Bloomquist, we at Carrera built them some shocks for speed weeks, but this pairing blew up before it got back outta Florida. If I remember right it had to do with t-shirt sales and who could do what... The Bloomquist & Stuckey pairing didn't make as much magic as most feared it would, and following a highway rollover that seriously injured Ronnie they soon parted ways. I think it was similar to Freddy & Stuckey, both smart and experienced but with different views on how to get what they wanted from the car. As to what became of GVS finally, I think after years on the road and pressing so hard to be "THE TEAM" and push DLM racing to the next level, along with pressing matters with his primary business, Gulf Valve Service, he simply pulled back and downsized early in the 00's, exhausted.
    Freddy simply did not win enough races, he only won a handful of races in 1995.

Auckland ran for gvs for a bit with some type of phone calling sponsor,,, the 99¢ ride....

Auckland had a few teammates at Eldora also. Babb and I think Gill, maybe another

Didn't Hartman run the GVS car for a while too? And don't forget Bloomquist was in it for a race or two

Hartman did run it for a few races. Davey J and Lanigan also drove it. The last guy I seen wearing the GVS badge was Chris Wall.

Aucklands sponsor was 10-10-220, it was a collect call phone company. I did see a pic awhile back of Auckland driving it, and it had a 12 on it.

I feel like that hauler they had is probably the most recognized hauler in our sport, STILL today. I really miss those days.

They were always my favorite cars. Orange and blue are my favorite colors.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 12-22-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Rex Ritchie was the first one I remember at least when they started traveling

Davey J ran for them some too.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I'm unfamiliar with how to post a pic, but if you search for Auckland's career you'll see the 99¢ car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Freddy simply did not win enough races, he only won a handful of races in 1995.
    ...and yet won the HAT title the following year in 1996 driving same chassis brand, but calling his own shots. Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnStreet View Post
    ... And don't forget Bloomquist was in it for a race or two
    ...it only lasted from Golden Isles thru Speed weeks.
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 12-23-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    Politically Incorrect.

I remember reading an interview with Joel Hedrick in the old Dirt Late Model magazine back in the 90s and he said something about always wanting Moyer to drive for them. I Moyer decided to give it a try and then Freddy landed that ride with Christenberry. Moyer had back surgery and that's when Hartman or Babb filled in. They had a lot of different drivers in the end.

I loved the old Curtis Equipment Car. Twin to Skip Arp's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's one with the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve Shaver drove there car also I used to have a tshirt of it