Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires

Default Tires

Probably stupid question but what's wrong with letting team's groove an super tires.I know about the doping an all but can't see what's wrong with letting team's groove tires or grind em

Time. The amount of time we're spending cutting tires every week is astronomical. I'd say it also puts everyone on a more level playing field if everyone has uncut tires.

I'm hoping they adopt it as a rule for weekly racing, because yes, the time that can be spent on tires alone is astronomical. And my team consists of me and my 12 year old son, so time is limited to begin with.

I thought grooving and siping were allowed at every place for super late models? The only place that does not seem to have grooving and siping around here is crates. Was also told that it extends the life of the tire.

For eldora in June it took me and the guy I help, it took 2 full days to get all the tires mounted, grooved, buffed and siped, we took 16 tires if I remember right. In September we took about the same number, and it took us about 6 hours. That's even breaking down a few old tires and putting new on.

If most knew the process, and how much time it took to do that stuff, it would be easier to understand. I've been around racing all my life, and until this last year did I realize how much actual work is involved.

did the tires last longer

I'd always heard made tires last a little longer and tire company's were behind the new rules

Grooving and sniping tires is very time consuming. If you have ever spent time doing it you know it is also very boring. I would like to see it illegal at all levels. It is supposed to build up and dispatch heat faster. I don't think it makes a tire last longer. Grinding tires removes the glaze off the tire from the heat cycle and is very benifical.

I would have to imagine a properly siped tire would extend the life of a tire by better controlling the heat cycle. If you sipe too deep and for the wrong conditions, and it chunks out... that's a different story. Grooving and siping is all part of the game, take the time, do your homework and take advantage of the benefits. Don't start making this a lazy mans sport. Yes tire prep (not chemicals) is hard work and time consuming.... but so is racing in general. Don't change the landscape because something just takes "too much time and work". I am a tire guy, trust me it sucks in the middle of summer, but its all part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
    I would have to imagine a properly siped tire would extend the life of a tire by better controlling the heat cycle. If you sipe too deep and for the wrong conditions, and it chunks out... that's a different story. Grooving and siping is all part of the game, take the time, do your homework and take advantage of the benefits. Don't start making this a lazy mans sport. Yes tire prep (not chemicals) is hard work and time consuming.... but so is racing in general. Don't change the landscape because something just takes "too much time and work". I am a tire guy, trust me it sucks in the middle of summer, but its all part of it.
    I don't think it is about being lazy. People would find another hobby if they were lazy, because Grooving/Siping or not racing takes more work than just about any other sport/hobby there is. The problem is that a lot of the people who have the money to race, have very demanding jobs and the amount of time stuff like this is taking makes being able to race impossible. The sport needs those people to be out on the track because car counts are so low just about everywhere.

No I get where you are coming from... but in all honesty especially come Amain time, I don't know how much a difference it really honestly makes. I work on a 410 sprint car team, and allot of WOO/AllStar teams will mount up new rears about 10 minutes prior to pushing out, untouched, and they don't seem to be any worse off. I do feel its worth grinding and siping used tires prior to the amain... but will it knock you out of contention if you don't? doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan21mid View Post
    Time. The amount of time we're spending cutting tires every week is astronomical.
    So? What's the point? Everyone gets the same amount of time between events.

Not buying it.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 12-21-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Probably stupid question but what's wrong with letting team's groove an super tires.I know about the doping an all but can't see what's wrong with letting team's groove tires or grind em
    We are trending more and more to rules that reward wallets and attempt to discredit know how. The reasons are numerous.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    So? What's the point? Everyone gets the same amount of time between events.

Not buying it.
    Some of us have full time jobs. When you're working 8-6, 5 days a week and have to spend 20+ hours a week cutting tires, that leaves very little time to touch the racecar, much less fix damage and make improvements. We race at the local/regional level and have considered several times trying to pay someone to help with tires but its just not in the budget. If you aren't 110% on your tire game these days, you're getting beat by someone who is. Some people have full-time crew guys, yes even at the local level, so the notion that everyone gets the same amount of time between events isn't exactly true. Time is money. But we'll continue to make the most out of what we're given.

No I get where you are coming from... but in all honesty especially come Amain time, I don't know how much a difference it really honestly makes. I work on a 410 sprint car team, and allot of WOO/AllStar teams will mount up new rears about 10 minutes prior to pushing out, untouched, and they don't seem to be any worse off. I do feel its worth grinding and siping used tires prior to the amain... but will it knock you out of contention if you don't? doubtful.
    Sprint car tires seem to be much softer than DLM and modified tires so cutting and siping them isn't as beneficial. Another factor is a DLM relies on mechanical traction where sprints produce the majority of their traction with the wing. In late model and modified racing, there's a huge difference between cut and uncut tires.

Good points, however to that point... the race this year where late models were issued tires prior to the event, (total brain fade on which race) it would be interesting to see if the lap times had fallen off compared to years past in which they could groove and sipe. I know there are several factors that come into play (weather, track conditions, ect) but it would be interesting to see in lap times, what the difference could be. My guess come amain time, siping would prove more valuable than grooving in terms of firing the tire quicker, and then controlling temps. Yes grooving gives you more edges... but costing you contact patch area when you need as much grip as possible.

Good points, however to that point... the race this year where late models were issued tires prior to the event, (total brain fade on which race) it would be interesting to see if the lap times had fallen off compared to years past in which they could groove and sipe. I know there are several factors that come into play (weather, track conditions, ect) but it would be interesting to see in lap times, what the difference could be. My guess come amain time, siping would prove more valuable than grooving in terms of firing the tire quicker, and then controlling temps. Yes grooving gives you more edges... but costing you contact patch area when you need as much grip as possible.
    It was the North South. They issues RR tires only. Track was much faster than typical so can't compare.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It was the North South. They issues RR tires only. Track was much faster than typical so can't compare.
    Well there goes that idea then lol. Thanks for the info tho!

Tires are the most important part of the car. Their the only thing touching the track. If their not right then no setup will ever be at it's fastest. I'm all for rules to regulate them and make fair for all but hard tires not the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Tires are the most important part of the car. Their the only thing touching the track. If their not right then no setup will ever be at it's fastest. I'm all for rules to regulate them and make fair for all but hard tires not the answer
    The more they are regulated, the more you get cheated by the competition.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1