Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    I can get some many more races out of grooved and siped tires. Whether its a LM tire, Mod tire or the Street Stock/Sportsman tires.
    This doesn't even sound close. First, a grooved and syped tire flexes more that one that is not. Flex creates heat. Heat promotes tire wear. To counteract this, tires are ground to stop some of the flex. This in it's self shortens tire life. It's a never ending circle of procedures that promote tire wear, not extend it.

As some races are no groove or sype and some are not, with the good tire wear you get from un-cut tires, you could groove them for the next race and get back your edges and have a tire that punches just a little harder that original, due to heat cycle. A few new grooves and/or sypes and you have a good tire for a local show. That would be the best bet for tire wear.

personally the ONLY tire rule I am in favor of us you must use the same tires all night (makes tire selection actually matter because you have to time trial on it, run your heat, run a dash if the series has one, and run the main).

Someone may be willing to give up a fast time trial knowing they will have the best tires for the feature while someone else will want to start up front in the heat hoping they can "nurse" their tires to the end of the feature.

Makes passing actually happen because everyone is on a different agenda.

Allowing teams to change tires anytime they want costs teams a lot of $$$ IMO. making it so that decision is made right after hotlaps (or before) means no worry about giving the teams time to break down tires and mount new ones between every race. What they have on is what they are running PERIOD.

As far as grooving and siping goes, let them, but it's not allowed until after the heat races are complete.

Penalty for changing a tire (unless it gets cut DURING a race) would be starting last in the feature and no series points for that event (or track points for weekly racers, UMP points, etc., etc.).

I think swartzman is right you going too have to keep new ones on especially if you can't buff em, sure tire company's are loving this deal. You eather keep new ones on are get out of the way

You can buff them worked pretty good this last weekend and at the world AND VANDEO77 they have done your way in our area and most of the teams want to go one step further and go the no siping and grooving way
    Last edited by calverton; 12-23-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Funny... 30 years ago we never touched our tires… run any compound you wanted. Then tire soaking came into vogue…
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    This doesn't even sound close. First, a grooved and syped tire flexes more that one that is not. Flex creates heat. Heat promotes tire wear. To counteract this, tires are ground to stop some of the flex. This in it's self shortens tire life. It's a never ending circle of procedures that promote tire wear, not extend it.

As some races are no groove or sype and some are not, with the good tire wear you get from un-cut tires, you could groove them for the next race and get back your edges and have a tire that punches just a little harder that original, due to heat cycle. A few new grooves and/or sypes and you have a good tire for a local show. That would be the best bet for tire wear.
    6-7 years ago I grooved a set of tires for a guy during the week. They already had 2 weeks on them. Non LM. He paid me $20 a tire. He got 4 weeks out of them after that. I regrooved 2 of them after 3 weeks. 2 were still easily usable after the 4 weeks. Won 3 features and 2 heat races. 6 weeks total on the same set of tires. I've also siped tires for LM guys who have won alot of features. I came up with the multi blade siper tool long before it was on the market. Was a secret tool i used. Never thought it would be available to buy. To speed up the process i will sometimes use 2 tire groovers to work a tire.

Never soaked any though. It can be too risky. Although I know guys who do.

Loose lips, sink ships.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 12-23-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Doug Drown used the same set of tires that were neither grooved nor siped two weeks in a row at Attica & won both weeks (including hot laps, heats & features). He did it in preparation for the new rules for this year's World 100. LM20's & LM30 RR. Guess it depends on the driver & track surface.

Exactly Krooser and different makes tires combo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan21mid View Post
    Some of us have full time jobs. When you're working 8-6, 5 days a week and have to spend 20+ hours a week cutting tires, that leaves very little time to touch the racecar, much less fix damage and make improvements. We race at the local/regional level and have considered several times trying to pay someone to help with tires but its just not in the budget. If you aren't 110% on your tire game these days, you're getting beat by someone who is. Some people have full-time crew guys, yes even at the local level, so the notion that everyone gets the same amount of time between events isn't exactly true. Time is money. But we'll continue to make the most out of what we're given.
    Maybe allow groove/sipe/needle right rear only and grind the rest... Would this help and still leave room for skills in that area?
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 12-24-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by swartzman View Post
    Here we go to having to have new tires on everytime you go onto the track again.. i am sure the tire manufacturers are going to be behind it..
    There are guys that do that now. It will be impossible to compete with used tires you can't cut and freshen up a bit.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    I knew that at the world some drivers were astonished how the tires looked
    I was not astonished at how poorly they performed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser
    Funny... 30 years ago we never touched our tires… run any compound you wanted. Then tire soaking came into vogue…
    I crewed with a team 30 years ago, albeit in a division other than late models. Dudes were juicing then, too. It's hardly a new phenomenon.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

grooving and siping is something about any one can learn to do that actually could save the budget racer money, this whole conversation is the problem and where racing is headed , ie: every one run the same tire, everyone run the same shocks and rear configurations, every one run the same engine, everyone run the same body that the series tells you to buy from a specific manufacturer, you must run the seat they tell you to run , next they will be telling you what each tire has to weigh, where does this end? starting to sound more and more like nascar to me, no innovation allowed unless every one can have it , remember the davenport deal? when it gets to this point, then im through.......

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I was not astonished at how poorly they performed.
    wth friday night was wasn't great lol were they a lil slower yes but the racing was off the chart sat night the track was not the same but go ahead blame the tires and guess what butter cup it soon will be the rule

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    grooving and siping is something about any one can learn to do that actually could save the budget racer money, this whole conversation is the problem and where racing is headed , ie: every one run the same tire, everyone run the same shocks and rear configurations, every one run the same engine, everyone run the same body that the series tells you to buy from a specific manufacturer, you must run the seat they tell you to run , next they will be telling you what each tire has to weigh, where does this end? starting to sound more and more like nascar to me, no innovation allowed unless every one can have it , remember the davenport deal? when it gets to this point, then im through.......
    you want racing at the next level well here it is

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    Those 7 or 8 top teams get what they want when it comes to rules. Monkey stuff up so they can have penske build them a way around the rules so the local guy won't beat them. Go to no groove tires so they don't have to work as hard. Then the photographer and the meter reader put it in the Lucas rules and all the series around the country think it is great for their racers too. It is flat disgusting!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

wth friday night was wasn't great lol were they a lil slower yes but the racing was off the chart sat night the track was not the same but go ahead blame the tires and guess what butter cup it soon will be the rule
    The cars were slow as hell because of the tires. And yes. It will be the rule because the elite teams want it. And the lower series will foolishly follow along.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

wrong the weekly racers want it at least in my area they do which is UMP and that's 4 tracks right there

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The cars were slow as hell because of the tires. And yes. It will be the rule because the elite teams want it. And the lower series will foolishly follow along.
    really now https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...9&action=click

Yes they were. And they robbed Erb with it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1