Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shock valving question...

I bought a box of AFCO and Pro twin tube shocks at a great price... all but one need to be rebuilt/re-valved as all but one are traction shocks.

One 7" AFCO shock is marked 'fresh' and the valving is 6-3... where would this shock be used on my old 4 bar MB?
    Last edited by Krooser; 12-26-2016 at 10:59 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

The front or lift bar. How old is old to you??

Cool

'96... this was a leaf car modified into a four bar around 2000.

I'm re-valving all those shocks so I have a few choices for tacky and dry slick. One shock is a twin tube with schrader valve that was used as a left-front rear traction shock if I'm correct.

CD... I believe you are correct. I have a mid-90's set-up sheet saved on my hard drive and I think that was one of the set-ups.

I already have a couple oil QA1's redone for the rear... the no-buck late model project keeps crawling along. Now I need to spend a few bucks on the blowed up motor I bought...
    Last edited by Krooser; 12-26-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    Class of 2019

That is 6 compression and 3 rebound. Back in the clamp days, a shock like that would sometimes be put on the rf on slick conditions to tighten the car on exit. Today, no one would do that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I bought a box of AFCO and Pro twin tube shocks at a great price... all but one need to be rebuilt/re-valved as all but one are traction shocks.

One 7" AFCO shock is marked 'fresh' and the valving is 6-3... where would this shock be used on my old 4 bar MB?
    RF when the track dries out to promote weight transfer to LR.
    @ Carrera we recommended a 6/2 (2/6 in Carrera numbers), but 6/3 is close.
    Politically Incorrect.

Thanks Stede...

Hey MBR... I found a ten year old post from you on the Dirt Racing Forum where you mention running clamped up with a straight bar going to the right side of the chassis that gave you good side bite... I'm going to try that... maybe lifting the LF outta the corners will put a thrill back into my life!

http://www.dirtracingforum.com/showt...tersbilt+racer
    Last edited by Krooser; 12-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    Class of 2019

Thanks Stede...

Hey MBR... I found a ten year old post from you on the Dirt Racing Forum where you mention running clamped up with a straight bar going to the right side of the chassis that gave you good side bite... I'm going to try that... maybe lifting the LF outta the corners will put a thrill back into my life!

http://www.dirtracingforum.com/showt...tersbilt+racer
    I last used that deal on a Rayburn in 2010 I think. It was fast! It will roll, more like an asphalt car. Make sure your bump settings on the rf are good.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Do you guys know of any shock shops that will rebuild the older style AFCO shocks? I have a few of those that are real nice but the local guy who has done my newer AFCO's and QA1's can't get the parts anymore.
    Class of 2019

Wow, that's antique not old in DLM evolution! Keep safety in mind going forward. Any low spot where water and condensate may accumulate should be drilled to check wall thickness and for major corrosion. We ran those cars and I too recall using a 6/2! on the RF in the slick for weight transfer. Really concentrate on safety, the money you save is worthless is you no longer can work or be there to provide for your family.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 12-27-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Do you guys know of any shock shops that will rebuild the older style AFCO shocks? I have a few of those that are real nice but the local guy who has done my newer AFCO's and QA1's can't get the parts anymore.
    Shorty will!! http://www.facebook.com/Shortys-Shoc...1911215560906/

CChief... thanks. We've already discussed this in a thread I started last year when I bought the car. The only rust damage was in the upper control arm mounts... the welds had a couple holes and water got in and froze... the remainder of the car is OK. I replaced that tubing and had the chance to take a peek inside the main rails when I narrowed the tail for tire clearance. This car sat outside for several months with a for sale sign on it... otherwise it was stored inside since the early 2000's when it was parked... 20 lbs. of pigeon cr*p everywhere seemed to give that story some credibility!

CD... I'll give Shorty a call. I appreciate the tip.
    Class of 2019

If shorty doesn't you might try Paul at A-1 machine in Tulsa. Not sure if he has any of the older stuff, know he mainly does afco stuff.

I have nothing but your safety in mind. Good luck with your racing!
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 12-31-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Got a local shock shop to do those Afco's… they have to retrofit new pistons and such but it's doable… thanks to all who gave me a head's up that they still can be used…. it would be a shame to toss good shocks.

CCHIEF…. thanks for the concerns… I am always looking at safety, too. have an idea about moding my car to make getting out much easier… since I'm old and decrepit it just might be the answer. I'll post some pix when I get that far.

I just wonder how much static I'll get if I post pix of me wearing my new open face helmet with my 'lucky' bandanna covering my mug. Film at 11….
    Class of 2019

I hope you're kidding about the open face helmet? Are they even legal in dirt racing, or any form for that matter? Just look at what Unzicker and Francis went through by "debris" hitting them in the head/helmet. Even when Earnhardt Sr. wore one, I didn't understand it. Apparently he could feel pressure changes around the car when drafting/etc. at 200 mph. But I always figured we, as humans, can stand a fair amount of damage to our noggins around the forehead, sides, and upper rear portion, but nobody likes getting hit in the face.

Well I was one of the first to jump on the full face helmet bandwagon when I bought a Simpson Bandit circa '81… paying almost $300 back then was a major investment. But I never really liked the lack of peripheral vision I got with the Bandit even though it offered a larger eye opening than was offered by most helmets of the day… so I DO have a spanking new open face in stock.

I'll have four or five windshield bars in front of me along with some 1/2" stainless hardware cloth to stop rocks and chunks of mud. The tracks I used to race at all required a screen… couldn't imagine racing without one really. I did take out my screen the year I ran the IMCA Florida Series just to be like the other guys… I think I put it back in after night #2… just got tired of being pelted with stones on those oiled sand tracks.
    Class of 2019

You could race naked as far as I'm concerned because it doesn't effect me in the stands, pits, or as a driver or car owner (besides I don't want to see that, lol) but:

You getting hit and temporarily blinded, knocked out, or etc will and you become a danger to people other then yourself.

Personally I wouldn't allow you on a race track with an open face helmet if it was my decision.

I know your semi joking about the open face, but I said my peace anyways

BBC... if this didn't scare AJ that open face helmet won't faze me...

Class of 2019

Who says it didn't scare him? Confusing bravery and fearlessness is ignorant.
    It's 2017 and we know a lot more than we did back then. I sincerely hope that nobody I race with shares your cavalier attitude toward safety. To BBC's point, a great many safety flaws on one man's car carries a very real risk of endangering everyone else on the track and even those in the stands.

Matt... I don't take safety lightly... been on fire twice with serious second degree burns (house fire while lighting a space heater and falling into burning gasoline after open headers ignited a leaking fuel line). You'll never see a guy so concerned about fuel cells, mounts, lines etc.

I wore a Hinchman suit with full Nomex underwear, gloves and a head sock almost 40 years ago way before my fellow dirt drivers even thought about most of that equipment. I just don't care to wear a full face helmet.

BTW... that photo of AJ and the caption was supposed to invoke a smile and, maybe, a holy sh*t... kind of a reminder of how brave these guys were...
    Class of 2019