Default setting tie rod length?

I need tie rod lengths for a 05 grt. GRT says 16 1/2 left side. I assume the rack should be centered. I don't see how 16 1/2 will work.

16.5 sounds right, bolt it on and make the rf, remember jack Sullivan telling me this at grt, wanted most of the turning to the right, said make it turn to right till 1" from hitting the header or frame

Quote Originally Posted by ace1 View Post
    I need tie rod lengths for a 05 grt. GRT says 16 1/2 left side. I assume the rack should be centered. I don't see how 16 1/2 will work.
    Ideally the rack should be set so when straight ahead both tie rod ends on the rack are the same distance outside the lower control arm mounting points (usually around a 1/4 to 1/2" outside on both sides). If this doesn't allow you to turn far enough right then the rack plate is not located left to right like it should be which is a common problem it seems, lol.

With rack centered a 16.5 turns the LF way out. Looks like I would loose steering to right after turning to get it to go straight. Looks like it should be the other way around and pull the LF in and have to turn it back left to get straight and give more steering to rt. Am I looking at it wrong? The ends of rack are just outside the control arm mounting points.

billitt could be right also,, there where different cross member for a 05 it may have been changed and not done right, I would center the steering wheel, give a little extra to left and see where your at, lower control arm lengths mean a lot also. my 05 had a single round crossmember

the cross member is 2 square tube pcs. the rack plate has 2 sets of outer holes and a middle slotted hole. Everything looks original. This chassis is extra clean and straight for 05. Left lower is 16 5/8, rt is 17 5/8

ace, that all sounds right is this a square tube chassis , all mine where 2" round overrail cars, still think the 16.5 will work

Its round tube. I'm checking for a bent spindle. I'm missing something.

I see that you are running the narrow right front. You don't by chance have the wide rack in it do you?

It's 18 1/4. I don't see how the wrong rack or a bent spindle could turn the lf out this far. I'm going to swap spindles and see. I have a picture but can't figure out how to put it on here.
    Last edited by ace1; 12-30-2016 at 09:53 AM.

It was the spindle. My eyes aren't what they used to be. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Now another question. The end of the rack on left is even with lower control arm mount point. The right is below mount point. Is this right.
    Last edited by ace1; 12-30-2016 at 03:49 PM.

if the rack plate isn't twisted then its the way it was built, I ran the gray spindles on mine, thought the r lower was 18 5/8 and mine used the 19" rack. also used the holes closes to cross member to mount rack. just wandering whats the chassis number .

#2549 which makes it a 04. I'm just trying to get everything lined up right so I can get new rod lengths and heims on it.

I had #2591 should be the same style, best car I ever had, won a lot of races with it, it loved big money races, any questions you can pm me, is this a underrail or over

Its under rail. On the rack being lower on rt side looks like it would effect bump steer pretty bad. I don't know much about bump steer but looks like it would toe the rf in a lot. Every thing is original to the car. I may have to do some shimming. Thanks