Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

Need help with ideas or contacts. I lost my right leg just above the knee, I'm needing help with ideas and parts to modify the throttle or brake so that I can get back to racing. I have heard theirs people out there that have done this, I'm unable to successfully find a good way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod46Will View Post
    Need help with ideas or contacts. I lost my right leg just above the knee, I'm needing help with ideas and parts to modify the throttle or brake so that I can get back to racing. I have heard theirs people out there that have done this, I'm unable to successfully find a good way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Google/look up Evan Evans an off road races that uses hand controls, you should find plenty of ideas or places to go to for help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYeifrFmgc

with it being your right leg (throttle) I'd look at using some sort of paddle or ATV type thumb throttle control you can mount to the steering wheel. That's assuming you are good with your left leg to operate the brakes.

This may make you need to adjust the steering so you never take off the throttle hand and shuffle it around the steering wheel, which is a bad habit anyways but many do it.

http://www.wellsengberg.com/products.html
    http://www.guidosimplexusa.com/
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-28-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Check your PMs
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Thanks for the replies, I have practiced it I just needed to apply the throttle and brake at the same time. A hand throttle worries me cause sometimes you get to whipping the steering wheel and I don't believe constant throttle could be maintained.

Motorcycle type throttle
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Like Confused said, check your PMs. My suggestion I posted on here got deleted.

Ive seen a throttle on your shifter and run it with your right hand. steer with left.

you could put a hand brake on the left side and steer with your right and use the regular gas pedal also.

I have hand brake in my rock crawler you just need a long lever to get the leverage. google jeep cutting brake to see options

Default Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Mod46Will View Post
    I don't know what your sensitivity level is like, but you could try to mount a pedal that would work a throttle cable at the edge of you seat so you are just pushing down with the back of your knee or quad, all your parts would work in normal unison

Like a floor mounted throttle assembly you would buy for a street rod and put in on a pedestal or box
    Last edited by Renegade Cust Susp; 12-28-2016 at 11:51 PM.

My buddy is missing both legs, he still runs normal clutch, brake, gas pedals.

I lost my rt leg above the knee in 1993 was done race drivieng at that time.how ever made a hand
    control for the rt rudder and brake for my cessena and flew for 23 more years.
    Heard about a guy up east that had a lever in his big block mod pushed forward for brake pulled for gas. Power brake. Also had a foot brake after 3 or 4 years got cought with the lever
    operateing a weight jack. I still own mods if i can help i will

mod46 how well are you with driving with one hand? throttle control is obviously crucial so I would keep the on a pedal now I do have another idea for the brake if you don't mind driving with one hand at some points.