Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

Needing ideas or individuals that can give me information or knows someone that can do it. I lost my right leg just above the knee, I'm needing help with modifying my throttle or brake so that I can return to racing. I haven't been successful in finding information or anyone that can do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing specific but around 2000 I saw a guy at Speedweeks racing a mini-sprint. He appeared to be a paraplegic so he had handlebars instead of a steering wheel and used the throttle grip and hand brake like a motorcycle. I was concerned how he would get out in a wreck/fire, but maybe that's why he raced the open wheel stuff. Assuming you have use of your left leg is a big plus. Good luck with whatever you figure out and don't give up!

Thanks for responding, I'm hoping to find something that will work.

You could try contacting Kevin Sloan, Not sure if he is still racing his Modified or not but I know he has a setup like you are looking for?? He raced at Lake Side Speedway and is on you tube. http://www.inthepits.net/NEWITP/?p=1509 Jack

How about a thumb throttle from 4wheeler mounted to steering wheel..

years ago we had a Honda odyssey atv , it used a butterfly type steering wheel with finger throttle and brake , with a quickner on the steering could use one with a cable throttle and use left leg for braking

Contact Billy Simkins at Bakersfield Tuff Magazine on Facebook, if you do FB. His late father, Dan Simkins was a west coast legend with 10 championships at Santa Maria Speedway alone. A few were after he lost a leg to cancer and they adapted their car to suit his situation. Billy still races successfully and I'm sure he could help you. Good luck.

Contact Mark Dowdy on Facebook. He is paralyzed waist down I believe and racessation late models weekly.

Thanks so much guys for all the leads, I'll talk with these gentlemen and see where to go from there. I'll keep everyone updated. Again thank you to everyone.

you are right about mark punisher, he comes to TST every now and then. i think he was running a killer chassis last and they modified it for him to get in and out,

Just shows some guys never lose that drive to drive...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Nor should it in my opinion