Thread: Best Flagman?

Default Best Flagman?

After reading the posts about the flagman at Gateway I'm curious to see who everyone feels is the best flagman. Which track is your favorite flagman from and what makes him great.

St francis county raceway Farmington mo when he flags a race he is so very excited like he is actually in the race then he does this little thing where he kinda hikes his leg it's like his signature or something
    I am what I am

Doug Clark. Period. End of story. Unfortunately Doug has retired but he's considered one of the best by most of the racers and Doug certainly is the best I ever remember waving the rags! I believe Doug is going to be inducted into The National Sprint Car Hall of Fame, if he hasn't already.

What made Doug so good is that he was even tempered and consistent race after race, year after year. He wasn't all that flamboyant but the flags he used were noticeably bigger than other flagmen.
    Last edited by CIRF; 12-28-2016 at 01:30 PM.

When Robbie "Checkers" Williams was flagging at Volunteer Speedway, he was one of the best and one of my favorites. We do have some good ones in East Tennessee.

My all-time favorite was Clifford Brabson when he was at Atomic (TN) and HAT. I can remember anytime cars wouldn't line up for a restart where they were supposed, he climb down from the flag stand, run onto the track, and start emphatically pointing to where they should do. He didn't mess around.

CIRF is 100% correct: Doug Clark
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Doug Clark

East Bay a few years ago

Many moons ago at New Smyrna Speedway that guy would put on a show.

The flag man for the USMTS tour seems to be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Doug Clark. Period. End of story. Unfortunately Doug has retired but he's considered one of the best by most of the racers and Doug certainly is the best I ever remember waving the rags! I believe Doug is going to be inducted into The National Sprint Car Hall of Fame, if he hasn't already.

What made Doug so good is that he was even tempered and consistent race after race, year after year. He wasn't all that flamboyant but the flags he used were noticeably bigger than other flagmen.
    Was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame and Knoxville Raceway Hall of Fame during the 2016 season.

Haven't seen anything about Doug retiring from flagging, but haven't looked all that hard either. If he indeed has decided to retire from flagging, whomever replaces him has big shoes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    Was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame and Knoxville Raceway Hall of Fame during the 2016 season.

Haven't seen anything about Doug retiring from flagging, but haven't looked all that hard either. If he indeed has decided to retire from flagging, whomever replaces him has big shoes to fill.
    Thanks for setting the record straight, vande!

I was working on memory of a feature article in Sprint Car & Midget Magazine a few months ago and I went back and checked it and I believe I need to stand corrected. It seems I've been a bit hasty in regards to Mr. Clark's retirement. However, it did say that Doug is slowing his pace a bit these days.

I've watched Mr. Clark flag events several times over the past 25 years and if there is a better flag person out there I really want to see him, or her.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Thanks for setting the record straight, vande!

I was working on memory of a feature article in Sprint Car & Midget Magazine a few months ago and I went back and checked it and I believe I need to stand corrected. It seems I've been a bit hasty in regards to Mr. Clark's retirement. However, it did say that Doug is slowing his pace a bit these days.

I've watched Mr. Clark flag events several times over the past 25 years and if there is a better flag person out there I really want to see him, or her.
    Wasn't really worried about any record, I just haven't been reading anything lately so if he had retired I missed it.

I do know when he does hang it up, I think his son Justin will do an admirable job taking his place here in the Midwest (currently already flags the 360 and 305 sprint cars at Knoxville). Big shoes to fill whenever that day comes.

East Bay had a guy wss very fun to watch ..all the above mentioned are very good..

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    Wasn't really worried about any record, I just haven't been reading anything lately so if he had retired I missed it.
    I understand, but I try not to post erroneous information as being fact and you motivated me to check and make sure.

cirf you are dead on. there is a guy that lives near me that was very good an respected. he was the assistant flagman at indy (HE REALLY DID ALL THE WORK, THE FLAGMAN WAS SO OLD...LOL) and flaged at tracks around the cincy area. his name was ray chaike.

Quote Originally Posted by CGF View Post
    East Bay had a guy wss very fun to watch ..all the above mentioned are very good..
    Even though this is at Desoto, I think the same guy flags at East Bay. Or at least he did a few years ago during February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBsxmcMYe2g

Tom Hansing the USAC Chief Starter and Assistant Starter for the IndyCar Series. Tom is excellent and has the respect of the competitors plus is an outstanding person.