Question 602 Wingless Sprint Chassis question

I'm totally new to sprints, still learning all the terms and what not. I'm shopping around for a used chassis, but I see many different configurations for sale. What is the ideal non-wing setup? 86/40, 87/40 or something else? I know I should avoid raised rail cars and that the first NEWS cars were built using 86/40 w/53" front axle, but what's gonna be the difference if say I find a great deal on a car, but its 87.5/40 and NOT 86/40? Help me understand what I'm looking for...

thanks
    Politically Incorrect.

Default Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    I'm totally new to sprints, still learning all the terms and what not. I'm shopping around for a used chassis, but I see many different configurations for sale. What is the ideal non-wing setup? 86/40, 87/40 or something else? I know I should avoid raised rail cars and that the first NEWS cars were built using 86/40 w/53" front axle, but what's gonna be the difference if say I find a great deal on a car, but its 87.5/40 and NOT 86/40? Help me understand what I'm looking for...

thanks
    There's nothing wrong with a raised rail car geometry is identical other than when blocking the car for set up you will need to use a shorter set on LS of car than right side but everything will work the same. Personally I prefer 87/40 car you will find that maxims which are for the most part the most popular are truely .5" longer than advertised. Had an 86/40 car that had good initial but struggled to maintain forward down the race track and even more so as the track slicked off. 53" axel is a non wing thing have run 52, 53 and 54. 53 is a happy medium, 54 is most stable and best I. Slick but has a tendency to be tiiiight in heavy, 52 is opposite. The larger the track you run on the more satisfied you will be with a longer wheel base car, there is truely not a huge difference between a wing and non wing car, the biggest difference will be in components, axels, front and rear. Birdcages, wheel offsets, shock package etc... but the bare nose basics are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a raised rail car geometry is identical other than when blocking the car for set up you will need to use a shorter set on LS of car than right side but everything will work the same. Personally I prefer 87/40 car you will find that maxims which are for the most part the most popular are truely .5" longer than advertised. Had an 86/40 car that had good initial but struggled to maintain forward down the race track and even more so as the track slicked off. 53" axel is a non wing thing have run 52, 53 and 54. 53 is a happy medium, 54 is most stable and best I. Slick but has a tendency to be tiiiight in heavy, 52 is opposite. The larger the track you run on the more satisfied you will be with a longer wheel base car, there is truely not a huge difference between a wing and non wing car, the biggest difference will be in components, axels, front and rear. Birdcages, wheel offsets, shock package etc... but the bare nose basics are the same.
    Since you are a suspension dude, do I have to use small body shocks or can I re-valve my DLM shocks and use them on the sprint?
    Politically Incorrect.