Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2017 Chili Bowl sets entry record, features top drivers

If they keep getting more cars every year they are going to have to add yet another night to the 5 nights they already race or start to limit car count! They'd sell it out for the 6th night, too!!

Hard to believe back in January of 1987 there were just 50 cars in the pits and the stands were half full. By the time I went for the first time, in 1997, it was a 3 night show and the car count had grown to just over 100 and Saturday night was the only night that sold out.

This deal has become a racing icon.

move to a bigger venue lol

cirf get's this health issue every December to it starts back up in august till September http://www.pbainfo.org/science

Anybody see the miss print on last sentence of article?
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by TMaCiLLiNi39 View Post
    I don't see a misprint....
    Bryan clauson

Here's the last sentence of the article.
    "Along with Abreu, Tony Stewart, Bryan Clauson, and Dave Blaney are among the notable names to win the event."
    What's the misprint??
    They have all won the Chili Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Bryan clauson
    SS, I saw that, too. Not sure it's a misprint, though. It just says other notable names to win the event and Bryan was included. Technically it's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    move to a bigger venue lol
    The venue isn't the problem. The problem is they already race 80 different cars on each of the 4 preliminary qualifying nights. There is a limit as to how many cars can be run on the prelim nights and the only way to cut the number of cars down to a manageable level is to schedule another preliminary qualifying night.

Is it possible for a fool such as yourself to comprehend that concept! I'm skeptical.

Along with Abreu, Tony Stewart, Bryan Clauson, and Dave Blaney are among the notable names to win the event.

No mis-print, they have all won it. I think you read it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The venue isn't the problem. The problem is they already race 80 different cars on each of the 4 preliminary qualifying nights. There is a limit as to how many cars can be run on the prelim nights and the only way to cut the number of cars down to a manageable level is to schedule another preliminary qualifying night.

Is it possible for a fool such as yourself to comprehend that concept! I'm skeptical.
    (comprehend concept! I'm skeptical) He puts on his pants and loses it cause he cant find the zipper.. takes him 2 hours to figer his pants are on back wards...I am not skeptical of him I just LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Here's the last sentence of the article.
    "Along with Abreu, Tony Stewart, Bryan Clauson, and Dave Blaney are among the notable names to win the event."
    What's the misprint??
    They have all won the Chili Bowl.

I guess i read it wrong. The notables to win it i took as drivers entered that could win this year.

In fairness, you have to give the Chili Bowl crew some credit. Not only have they been able to accommodate more cars on each night over the last 10 years or so it has been a full-fledged 5 nights, but they have added races. They used to not even have the qualifiers, which has been a nice addition. Start heats at 6 sharp on qualifying nights, feature usually over by 10:30. They can handle it. No need for a bigger venue. Just because there is more seats doesn't mean more people would go. If you are dead set on going, you can find a ticket easy, unless you are the type of toolbag that just wants to show up Saturday at 5 and pay face value for a ticket, then complain when a scalper wants $100. That person cannot be helped.

It Is what It is, them Boys just know how to put on a RACE.....

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    In fairness, you have to give the Chili Bowl crew some credit. Not only have they been able to accommodate more cars on each night over the last 10 years or so it has been a full-fledged 5 nights, but they have added races. They used to not even have the qualifiers, which has been a nice addition. Start heats at 6 sharp on qualifying nights, feature usually over by 10:30. They can handle it. No need for a bigger venue. Just because there is more seats doesn't mean more people would go. If you are dead set on going, you can find a ticket easy, unless you are the type of toolbag that just wants to show up Saturday at 5 and pay face value for a ticket, then complain when a scalper wants $100. That person cannot be helped.
    Zack, I honestly believe they could probably sell another 3,000 or 4,000 more good seats all 5 nights. But then again I could be way off base, too. I'm only speculating.

You are spot on in your evaluation of the event. At this point there is absolutely no reason to change a thing given the how wildly successful and prestigious this event has become.

You are also spot on in regards to how efficiently the show is run and that the prelim nights are wrapped up by 10:30 PM. It's the best run dirt race of any kind we attend all year, especially given the number of cars involved.

We watched a local special report about The Chili Bowl on a Tulsa TV station last January and they interviewed 2 or 3 out of town attendees that said that their Chili Bowl tickets are accounted for in their wills so they will be passed down from them to their heirs. It would take a decade or more of upgrade requests to get tickets in the front stretch bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    It Is what It is, them Boys just know how to put on a RACE.....
    You're right Gary. It's inevitable that at some point The Chili Bowl's mystique will peak but at this time that point is nowhere in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The venue isn't the problem. The problem is they already race 80 different cars on each of the 4 preliminary qualifying nights. There is a limit as to how many cars can be run on the prelim nights and the only way to cut the number of cars down to a manageable level is to schedule another preliminary qualifying night.Is it possible for a fool such as yourself to comprehend that concept! I'm skeptical.
    Seems funny lmao gateway had no issues

How would you know, this is a pic of what you did all weekend at gateway!! Did you even know there was a race goin' on?!! Don't look like it! LOLOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    Seems funny lmao gateway had no issues
    They had issues .. Lots of them.. But it a new race .. lets see if they fix them.. Next year could be a boom or it could get better.. Only time will tell...If you think that you can compare the two .. you are more lost then we think...Turn your pants around then you can zip them up....

Yes 230 cars try to time trail not 80 with ice and snow on pit road may cause issues you think

The biggest thing is that this race gets NATIONAL Exposure, msn.com, ESPN, MavTV, Fox Sports 1 will all cover this event in some form or another next month. These isn't one other dirt race that will get this kind of exposure.

What they have created at Tulsa in January is a perfect storm. No other racing going on, superstars from other forms of racing either in the event or attending as a fan (Roger Penske was there last year or the year before just to watch), and a captive audience (no other racing going on anywhere in the US or around the World pretty much).

Whether anyone wants to believe it, this event puts dirt racing on the "map" for most non dirt track fans. If it gets 1 or 2 new people to a local track at any point during the regular season it has done more than many promotors at those same tracks will do next season.