Default Helmet Questions

So I am debating getting a new helmet, but have a ton of questions. In the past every couple years I would buy a new Simpson or Bell. I was racing weekly or multiple times per week, they would have light rock chips on the chin bar but ok shape.

Over the last few years I have raced 3-5 times per year, but going to race more this upcoming season. To the point of the post.

1. How long do you guys keep your helmets? Go by wear, race count, years, counting years in the closet? (I know a crash should junk one, I am talking no crashes).

2. It seems the price of helmets keeps going up and up and up... Has anybody tried any of the other brands, zamp, g-force, race quip, pyrotect? The old school racer in me says you must go with one of the big two its your head, the other part of me says they are Snell rated, so are they the same safety level?

3. Is there any noticeable difference in carbon fiber ones? Do you feel it being lighter on your head? Worth the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    So I am debating getting a new helmet, but have a ton of questions. In the past every couple years I would buy a new Simpson or Bell. I was racing weekly or multiple times per week, they would have light rock chips on the chin bar but ok shape.

Over the last few years I have raced 3-5 times per year, but going to race more this upcoming season. To the point of the post.

1. How long do you guys keep your helmets? Go by wear, race count, years, counting years in the closet? (I know a crash should junk one, I am talking no crashes).

2. It seems the price of helmets keeps going up and up and up... Has anybody tried any of the other brands, zamp, g-force, race quip, pyrotect? The old school racer in me says you must go with one of the big two its your head, the other part of me says they are Snell rated, so are they the same safety level?

3. Is there any noticeable difference in carbon fiber ones? Do you feel it being lighter on your head? Worth the cost?
    I can answer #3: Before the full containment seats, it was extremely noticeable. Think putting 8# on you head with the G-Forces and then reduce that by a pound or 2, it's really super noticeable. I can't really say with a containment seat, but I'd expect it would be as noticeable as before without the seats.

ive had simpsons for years and then bell the last 2 had the gtx and liked it. had to buy a new one because out dated snell rating now have a carbon gp-2, went there to buy a br1 bell becauce there affordable and have option for air port, got a good deal and got the carbon one, cant tell the difference from reg to carbon, would recommend trying helmets on to find what ya like. every head is different and some just don't feel right

that trying it on like rak said is the key , ive tried $800 helmets that didnt fit or feel as good as a $300 one.

thanks fastford, also add that a 71/8 bell fits good but cant get a 71/8 simpson even on, my older simpson fit but the new stuff is different.

Maybe it's not so new anymore, but the new G-Force Carbon fiber is a pretty good bargain.

Keeks, do you have one, the g force? How's the quality?

yes carbon fiber is absolutely worth it.

I ran a Impact carbon fiber the last 5 years, it is a smaller outside diameter as well as much lighter. I got my first one on clearance some place for 1400. one night I ran my old impact non carbon fiber because I didn't have time to put tear offs on and its a very noticeable difference. both were same model vapor helmet.

I bought a new simpson carbon fiber last year and the outside diameter of it was the same as their normal helmets and I didn't like the size or the way it fit on my forehead, it put a lot of extra pressure. Maybe simpson runs small.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 01-04-2017 at 08:13 AM.

I've had several Simpson helmets over the years but the last time I tried one it didn't fit right and I didn't care for the lining so Went with a G Force. It fit well, the liner was super nice and the quality would rate with most of the higher $ ones. Last fall had to update the SFI rating and ordered a new G Force carbon fiber one with the understanding that it be a month or so until it was available. When that time got stretched to 6 or 8 months I went with the new standard G Force after getting a Zamp which fit nicely but disappointing as far the shield and shield mounts and chin strap. Returned the Zamp and very happy with the G Force. My son has had Bells and Simpsons forever and he got a new Simpson Bandit which is comfortable for him. Seems like the key is trying several brands to see what is fits you.

Zero, I didn't have one, but a couple friends had them. I couldn't try the on because my head is giant, but sure looked good to me. Also our local race shop owner (former WoO Sprint Driver) was talking it up pretty good, and he put it on his son. I know he wouldn't have done that if he wasn't sure of the quality.

keeks , you must have a big 7 7/8 brain like me LOL....the biggest G-force fit me fine..

ff, you bet, this melon is huge. Wife always wonders why I got such a big head...............

I like to buy American but couldn't justify the $$$ on a Bell or Simpson. I wound up with a Zamp and I am pleased with the quality and fit. If you have a big head like me you need to order BIG or try one on. I ordered an XL but it wouldn't even fit on my noggin... The 2xl is fine.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Ive got a bell dominator and love it ive had it a couple years now, with a lot of life left still. Im going to get a CF gtx next after trying one on at PRI. A bell 7 1/8 fit me great and i couldnt get a 7 1/8 simpson on so be sure to measure

I bought an Impact suit, helmet and neck restraint a few years back after owning several Bell and Simpson products in the past. I thought the fit and finish was a step or two above the others and the service I got from the sales people was top notch.