Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Gustin

Default Ryan Gustin

I mentioned this on another thread but just curious if anyone could shed some light. First of all, what happened with Ryan and Ed Gressel? What are Ryan's plans for this coming year? Thanks in Advance

Never heard any facts on what happened with him and Gressel. The only plans I've seen for him this year is he'll be running with the USMTS full time as a teammate to Jason Hughes.

The only thing they have said pubicly is that Gressel wanted to run more races than Gustin did

The owner wanting to race more than the driver, you don't really hear that much. Hopefully all works well for all parties.

Appreciate the responses. Being from Iowa and getting my butt whooped by him in a B-Mod over 10 years ago, it's been exciting to watch his career progress. I believe he is as talented as anyone and I'm hoping he can get a Super Late Model ride. I had a conversation with Ryan at Mississippi Thunder and he said he can make more money in a modified? I suppose that's true if he wins, but have modified purses really caught up w/late models? Or are modifieds more popular in the midwest compared to late model popularity in the South?

Well, Gustin has been with Gressel for over 5 or 6 years. Maybe more. That is longer than average for owner / driver relationship. It really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ReignMan23 View Post
    Appreciate the responses. Being from Iowa and getting my butt whooped by him in a B-Mod over 10 years ago, it's been exciting to watch his career progress. I believe he is as talented as anyone and I'm hoping he can get a Super Late Model ride. I had a conversation with Ryan at Mississippi Thunder and he said he can make more money in a modified? I suppose that's true if he wins, but have modified purses really caught up w/late models? Or are modifieds more popular in the midwest compared to late model popularity in the South?
    His chances of winning in a modified are higher then running the late model and there's more high paying mod shows in the area. Just following the USMTS tour if he can get back to winning like he did a few years ago and depending on the the % he gets per night he can make some good money.
    Just a Sportmod racer at Nelson Boys Racing.

One thing that still doesn't make sense to me, mabe someone else can clue me in. How the he11 you gonna run fulltime with the usmts with hughes an run any less then he did with gressel? Don't get me wrong they both seem to agree thats why they parted ways but i can't see goin over the road with hughes, spending time at his shop, answering phone calls or helping customers getting you anymore time with your family jmo

And rc whitwell as his replacement wth not ripping on rc but he is no ryan gustin

Wow.......this is gonna be tough to do, but I gotta give credit where credit is due.

Calverton, you're absolutely right!

I think Ryan is just a modified racer and that's what he wants to do. He hasn't been as dominant in the modified the last 2-3 years with having to race a late model as well. I think RC will do just fine for Gressel.

Yep some guys are like that I can think of a few standout mod drivers that did poorly in a late

One reason there is such good money to be made in mods in the Midwest is the fact that there is so dang many of them. If you can get 20 or so regular touring USMTS guys, you can have a race to pay $3000 and the promoter would make a killing due to the car count. For instance, you could have a Tuesday night race somewhere in July, get your 20 or so USMTS regs, and get about 30-40 more local guys who want to be heroes and run with the big boys. Run 1 (2 tops) support class of door bangers and they'll bring 20-25 cars. The local guys usually bring 3-6 people in the pits with them (wives, kids, ex-wives, and girlfriends) and pit passes are probably $30-35. Huge back gate money.

USMTS has a good product, they got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    One reason there is such good money to be made in mods in the Midwest is the fact that there is so dang many of them. If you can get 20 or so regular touring USMTS guys, you can have a race to pay $3000 and the promoter would make a killing due to the car count. For instance, you could have a Tuesday night race somewhere in July, get your 20 or so USMTS regs, and get about 30-40 more local guys who want to be heroes and run with the big boys. Run 1 (2 tops) support class of door bangers and they'll bring 20-25 cars. The local guys usually bring 3-6 people in the pits with them (wives, kids, ex-wives, and girlfriends) and pit passes are probably $30-35. Huge back gate money.

USMTS has a good product, they got it figured out.
    Sounds like your talking about ten years ago.

USMTS barely has any shows in their own area (iowa) due to the fact there aren't many regulars on the series any more and locals don't flock to add to their shows like they used to either.

That is a fair observation, I may be outdated on that. I don't know if its been 10 but yeah its probably been at least 5-6 years since I went to a USMTS race (because I live in Florida now and there isn't any here). So much for my theory lol.

If you get out of Iowa they(usmts) have much better fields. I think IMCA has a stronghold in that area and guys know taking a imca car to usmts race is taking a knife to a gun fight. I would say they average over 30-40 cars per race with the bigger races averaging 50 or more.

I know I went to a MLRA race a couple of years ago in KS and they had 20 cars....The Drunkard in front was complaining about it saying They should be getting a big show like USMTS lol because Ryan Gustin,Terry Phillips, Jeremy Payne, and Jason Krohn were all in the field ,but that is the type of prestige the USMTS seems to have.

Is there any rules difference between USRA and USTMS just wondering living in a area that neither are common

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    Is there any rules difference between USRA and USTMS just wondering living in a area that neither are common
    Same other than RPM chip rule

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    heres the best comparison I can think of for a Late Model person

IF
    USMTS=WOO LMS
    USRA= UMP LMs