Smile Necrosis, MasterSbilt racer, Bubster, Z Young, C&B fan, 2017 Rules?

I just got back from the local engine shop, and word is SFI rules are being in forced starting at Golden Isle. My guy talked directly to Barry Wright today. (He runs a BWRC) Seats, fuel cells, thermal activated fire protection. Hearing possibly an undetermined number of races to comply.

Anybody know who from your area is making the updates already?

Once GA. and Fla. is over I'm wondering what regional and local teams are going to fill out the fields at the first few LOLMDS and WoO races. Hearing a few UMP local tracks going without the sanction. A lot of pissed of people.

Anybody hearing anything?

We are building a new Black Diamond and it will have the SFI required parts on it. We won't be ready till the Pelican in March though. Got measured for a seat at PRI but I don't think it will be at Stuckey's till mid to late January. I'm sure there are more cars that have updated their cars that what you might think.

There should be a "per race" exemption for the locals to participate in those national tours... that is if they want more cars... maybe a maximum of a 3 race exemption?

Here in the upper Midwest I don't see any urgency by the regional tours to enforce these new rules. The Corn Belt Clash won't be part of this new safety cabal afaik. As I've said before a three year phase-in would make sense for cells and fire systems... I'm not convinced about the seats.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

@ slmcrewchief99, what seat manufacturer are you using? Everyone I talk to (racers) say a seat manufactured to the new specs won't fit in a dirt late model. They've also said any full containment seat will suffice because the powers that be are backing off some. Any truth to either?

I know the guy I help had the fire protection setup last year just a couple weeks after the Charlie Floyd accident.

Lucas actually gave a three race grace period for non-regulars last year on some of the updates, I assume this year will be the same. We didn't have the emergency shut off until the Latham race in June, if I remember right, which would've been our third lucas race.

We heard as long as its a full containment seat it was legal.. I too heard that the seat they required wouldn't even fit in a late model... They really need to address this matter.. They said there was gonna be a meeting at the PRI show and more details would come out after that. .Still nothing..

So is a fire suppression system required or not for weekly UMP? or they just going to enforce these new rules at WoO, Lucas and big events?

This was the latest revision to the original unified rules. The rules are listed below the FAQ section. I'm sure more revisions are coming.

http://www.stlracing.com/2016/11/23/...e-model-specs/

I've been told if you show up with an unapproved fuel cell at speedweeks as you won't be allowed to race (Lucas oil - no idea about WoO). However you know how things go and that could be postponed by complains on time frame to get legal.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I've been told if you show up with an unapproved fuel cell at speedweeks as you won't be allowed to race (Lucas oil - no idea about WoO). However you know how things go and that could be postponed by complains on time frame to get legal.
    Same here. I have heard so many versions of the truth, I'm not sure what's going to happen to the "local" guys who plan on running a few speedweeks races. One fella told me the WoO official he talked to at PRI said the fuel cells would have no wiggle room, but there'd be an announcement concerning the seats and such before the AZ races. That has turned out to be unreliable information.