Default Hav A Tampa - Was Heating Tires Legal?

When I was at The Hav A Tampa Race at Joliet, some of the cars were heating their tires with propane torches before the main. Was this practice legal at the time? I'm assuming it was because no one was really trying to hide it or anything. Was it an open tire rule?

how cold was it?

It was warm out. I'm sorry I meant to say propane heaters, not torches.

Wink

Had to been ok. I seen it alot. Ready heaters mostly. But back in those days they didn't let cars run bout 3 laps then reform for the green, no 4 wide salutes. You paced and raced.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Any thing was legal back then! We won a 15k Havatampa race, after openly soaking our tires in goat pee, and then slathering it on as the car was being pushed onto the track!

The..... GOOD OLE DAYS!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Any thing was legal back then! We won a 15k Havatampa race, after openly soaking our tires in goat pee, and then slathering it on as the car was being pushed onto the track!The..... GOOD OLE DAYS!
    That will keep the tech inspectors scratching their heads. Now they will keep that sample for a drug test? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke100 View Post
    When I was at The Hav A Tampa Race at Joliet, some of the cars were heating their tires with propane torches before the main. Was this practice legal at the time? I'm assuming it was because no one was really trying to hide it or anything. Was it an open tire rule?
    We've used propane/kerosene jet heaters under the back of the cars here in GA for decades... To my knowledge, there is NO rule regarding heating of the car or tires. Nowadays we have plug-in heaters for the oil system, but seeing a jet heater pointed at the back of the car was no big deal.
    Politically Incorrect.