Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lift bar

You should have the lift bar mounted in proportion to the Left Side %, if you run 52% LS, then the lift bar should be attached 52% of the distance from the LR to the RR.

Quote Originally Posted by Racehard27 View Post
    If your lift bar only moves the 5th coil shock grommet 1", your forward traction stops there, the more the shock compresses, the harder and faster the car is propelled forward, just because your lift bar is located at 38", doesn't mean your getting all the traction available, propel your race car forward by allowing the lift bar to travel 3 1/2" like they have always told us to.
    Your forward traction stops when the tires get shocked loose. Any travel works if the tires stay hooked. You can go really soft, have tons of travel, and no traction.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    You should have the lift bar mounted in proportion to the Left Side %, if you run 52% LS, then the lift bar should be attached 52% of the distance from the LR to the RR.
    Why does that matter?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Didn't GRT try that with their lift bar that went around the driveshaft and mounted to the rearend on the left side? I was taught that the determining factor isn't necessarily where the bar mounts to the rearend, but rather where the spring (5th coil) is in relation to the rearend (side to side)...or laterally I guess. Didn't Rayburn have a short pullbar that mounted to the left side of the rearend, and also connected to the chassis on the left side of the driveshaft? I'm only vaguely familiar with Rayburn's so I apologize if incorrect...
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 01-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.

MB Racer, what do you mean by LR anti-squat? (Static or overall bar angle?)

I started playing with the rear RC alot, and LS %. The last race of the year i had re-set the car to a 52% LS but we didnt get to run it, so i dont know if thats gonna help it.

This year, i am gonna raise the fuel cell up max, try the low LS % (We were at 53.5% btw), and map the front RC location and make arrangements to change it if needed.

I am interested in this Lift bar location math from the "Engineer" up above, care to expound on that more?

Thanks, Krom.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    MB Racer, what do you mean by LR anti-squat? (Static or overall bar angle?)

I started playing with the rear RC alot, and LS %. The last race of the year i had re-set the car to a 52% LS but we didnt get to run it, so i dont know if thats gonna help it.

This year, i am gonna raise the fuel cell up max, try the low LS % (We were at 53.5% btw), and map the front RC location and make arrangements to change it if needed.

I am interested in this Lift bar location math from the "Engineer" up above, care to expound on that more?

Thanks, Krom.
    By anti squat, I mean everything lifting the rear of the car. The bars, the spring when it is in play, lift from the torque arm, etc.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Lay under your car supported by frame on jackstands, fifth coil shock removed, rr coilover removed. Lr hanging on travel limiter,RR jacked up to simulate dynamic ride height when exiting /cornering Lift and return to static position the lift bar and note what the entire rear axle assembly does! The amount of travel the 5th coil or whatever you bolt there's travel has has a pretty substantial influence on handling/tracking overall dynamically, not just traction to the rear ties from leverage.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 01-10-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Would a solid 5th coil not provide more traction? I understand the drivability argument.. but in theory, wouldn't solid provide the most torque to the rear tires?

Or is the 3.0-3.5" of 5th coil travel that's been mentioned important? I can see the rear end being moved towards the passenger side of the car (which moves the LR tire under the car) due to pinion wrap-up, but is it really that much movement? And does this movement really help with traction?
    I see how the LR tire is further in-board and therefore there's more "bite", but the RR tire is not as far inside of the RF tire at that point so wouldn't that free the car up?

Anyone that has said they have one and are going to do some testing and report back: I urge you that before you just switch a STD T/A vs this devise and say testing done, that you also test a STD T/A with a similar rate on the 5th coil as the bushing before saying one is better then the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MachineMasters View Post
    Would a solid 5th coil not provide more traction? I understand the drivability argument.. but in theory, wouldn't solid provide the most torque to the rear tires?
    It in fact does, unless your a complete throttle stompper

Quote Originally Posted by MachineMasters View Post
    Or is the 3.0-3.5" of 5th coil travel that's been mentioned important? I can see the rear end being moved towards the passenger side of the car (which moves the LR tire under the car) due to pinion wrap-up, but is it really that much movement? And does this movement really help with traction?
    I see how the LR tire is further in-board and therefore there's more "bite", but the RR tire is not as far inside of the RF tire at that point so wouldn't that free the car up?
    Rear end movement will have and effect on the car

I just see that solid 5th (bushings) as a potential bind. Aren't we constantly trying to find and fix binds?

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    Lay under your car supported by frame on jackstands, fifth coil shock removed, rr coilover removed. Lr hanging on travel limiter,RR jacked up to simulate dynamic ride height when exiting /cornering Lift and return to static position the lift bar and note what the entire rear axle assembly does! The amount of travel the 5th coil or whatever you bolt there's travel has has a pretty substantial influence on handling/tracking overall dynamically, not just traction to the rear ties from leverage.
    Also note how much the pinion mount of the j-bar moves up. I think this if often overlooked or simply not even considered.

I see alot of Mod guys out west are now running a behind the rear end pan-hard bar of some sort to combat this, pivot point raising up while the rear end is wrapping up.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Also note how much the pinion mount of the j-bar moves up. I think this if often overlooked or simply not even considered.
    And now you have plenty to consider with the liftbar you have!

Spambotspew everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    I see alot of Mod guys out west are now running a behind the rear end pan-hard bar of some sort to combat this, pivot point raising up while the rear end is wrapping up.
    Are those sport mods? I believe they have to run the panhard to the rear as per rules.

Yes, those would be sportmods if they are running IMCA which is most tracks "out west". All of the Modifieds are using J-bars with pullbars. You will be hard pressed to find one that's not. Didn't modifieds in the 90's and early 2000's use a similar lift arm setup as the nueline but instead of the rod with biscuits I thought they used a chain with a spring. I vaguely remember seeing one and hearing that they built a ton of forward bite but never drove one for myself.

UMP, USMTS, USRA mostly around here and lifts arm aren't as popular however there are a number of them and many of those VERY successful. Like track champions and national champions levels of success.

Quote Originally Posted by dkibel View Post
    Yes, those would be sportmods if they are running IMCA which is most tracks "out west". All of the Modifieds are using J-bars with pullbars. You will be hard pressed to find one that's not. Didn't modifieds in the 90's and early 2000's use a similar lift arm setup as the nueline but instead of the rod with biscuits I thought they used a chain with a spring. I vaguely remember seeing one and hearing that they built a ton of forward bite but never drove one for myself.
    They had liftarm for decel and pullbar for accel. Can't have both now by rule