Default Dirt Kings Rules posted...

Pretty basic stuff from years past… no surprises thank God.

http://dirtkingstour.com/wp-content/...KingsRules.pdf
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Isn't that the same as the WDML series?

Replaces it since the wdlma series lost the track at Manitowoc to a Meijer store ... New promoter in this series... Hope it works.
    Class of 2019

WDLMA decided to fold after this season as, the weekly tracks at Manitowoc and Plymouth went there own direction on rules to improve car counts. So WDLMA and its Lucky 7 series only ran 4 races last season.

The Dirt Kings Series is an all new series ran by the former WDLMA tech inspector and race director. There is no other ties to WDLMA in the series. The rules are similar as all the late models in eastern WI run Wissota spec, WDLMA spec, and open motors. So to grow the series they needed the support of all motor types.

The schedule is coming together really nicely as there are dates at almost all the eastern Wisconsin tracks. Plymouth, Shawano, Wilmot, Dodge County, 141, Luxemburg, Sun Prairie, and Oshkosh all have dates for 2017. My personal wish would be to see the other Beaver Dam track to get a date, but pretty wishful thinking there.
    2012 events: 40 - 2013 events: 29 - 2014 events: 26 - 2015 events: 29
    2016 events: 37 nights: - 2017 Events- 43 - 2018 Events- 43 -2019 Events: 43 Nights

2020 Events: 31 total - Plymouth(WI): 8 - Shawano: 1 - Outagamie: 2 - Cedar Lake: 4 - Mississippi Thunder: 3 - Beaver Dam: 1 - Gravity Park: 2 - Lafayette County: 2 - SK Speedway: 1 - Wilmot: 2 - 300 Raceway: 1 - Fairbury: 2 - Davenport: 1 - LaSalle: 1

So it's the same old thing with a new name to think all the problems went away?

Elaborate....
    Class of 2019

I'm unaware of what issues they had under the old name, and am looking forward to supporting them as much as possible, but I sense they are potentially killing themselves before they even get started. Here's why: Without having read their mission statement or goals (assuming they have one/them), I would think they are hoping to be a series geared towards the local racer (i.e. - the little guy). But I already see they have plans for some big payday race partnered up with one of the major tours being in town, with "special rules" and what have you. Great for fans, crappy for the racers who support the series.

It was the same with the original Northern All Stars series. What was supposed to be a series for the little guy ended up having trips to Florida scheduled, then bigger paying races on the same weekend as Eldora, etc. etc. Before long, the Pierce's (Bob) and O'Neal's (Don) start coming in and taking all the money. And that's not knocking them, they're just looking to pay the bills by winning some money closer to home. But that leaves out the guy that supported the series all season long.

If someone wants to see Lucas guys race, go to a Lucas race. If you want to see WoO guys race, go to a WoO race. As promoters, don't lose sight of who supported your series all year just to make a buck by changing what you do to entice bigger names in showing up.

I think the 'special rules' will be pretty much a change in format rather than specs for the cars... maybe not don't know.

I think this 'big event' is an attempt to legitimize the sanction, create buzz among the drivers and, yes, bring in some regional drivers.... that's not all bad. Jimmy Mars and A.J. Diemel seem to show up at some of these 'special's and snatch some of the $$$. Not all bad.

Unless you have some different drivers coming to compete the show it just becomes a regular Saturday nite event with an entry fee and a bigger purse... mostly paid by the participants themselves.

Specials are a mixed bag... some work some don't. I've made $$$ running them and I've lost my a**, too. MAking money is better.

I wish these guys luck... if I can get my Flintstone-vintage MB together this year I'll try my luck with 'em. Somebody has to finish last... might as well be me.
    Class of 2019

Looks like this series will charge the drivers $125/year and then I wonder if they will charge another $50-100 entry fee per race. Looks like the days of Bill Behlings series that was all about giving the drivers the money are long gone. It sure is a shame what happened after his passing.

Taken from the website:
    All drivers will be required to purchase a Dirt Kings Late Model Tour membership prior to competing in an event. Driver Memberships will be $125. Membership allows drivers eligibility for the season championship points fund as well as contingency prizes from our sponsors.

Visiting drivers may purchase a two race Temporary Driver Membership for $50. Temporary Memberships will not qualify drivers for the points fund or contingency prizes.

Having talked to the promoter over the weekend at the Manitowoc Motorsports show, there is no entry fee per race what so ever. There is only the membership and the membership qualifies you for point fund and/or contingencies. Just the same as any other series out there now a days.

Now about when it was Bill Behlings series. I helped Bill from 2008 until he passed, I completely agree with you about what happened after his passing. The series started to change rules to benefit more of the open guys and started to punish the little guys. That's why the two weekly tracks did their own thing last season to try to turn that around, they even had the return of the tire give away's that Bill always did that the drivers liked. But one thing when it was Bill's series is that they did not give the drivers the money as you said, because the last Point Fund they had was in 2008. The point funds did make a return after Bill's passing. The 2015 point fund was the best the drivers raced for in this area since the one in 2008.
    Last edited by widlmfan; 01-30-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    2012 events: 40 - 2013 events: 29 - 2014 events: 26 - 2015 events: 29
    2016 events: 37 nights: - 2017 Events- 43 - 2018 Events- 43 -2019 Events: 43 Nights

2020 Events: 31 total - Plymouth(WI): 8 - Shawano: 1 - Outagamie: 2 - Cedar Lake: 4 - Mississippi Thunder: 3 - Beaver Dam: 1 - Gravity Park: 2 - Lafayette County: 2 - SK Speedway: 1 - Wilmot: 2 - 300 Raceway: 1 - Fairbury: 2 - Davenport: 1 - LaSalle: 1

Quote Originally Posted by widlmfan View Post
    My personal wish would be to see the other Beaver Dam track to get a date, but pretty wishful thinking there.
    widlmfan

I have to believe that a majority of DLM fans that have ever been to Beaver Dam Raceway would strongly agree with you.

If they were fortunate enough to see the WoO show at Beaver Dam in 2008, won by Dennis Erb Jr., or the May 2009 show where Jason Feger picked up his first career WoO victory, I'm sure they would agree with you 100%.

That said, you have a better chance of hell freezing over than Beaver Dam Raceway hosting a late model show. WDLMA, Dirt Kings, CBC, WoO or otherwise. I know the track owner's daughter (our kids played youth sports together). Six years ago, I reached out to him and asked if there was any chance of the WoO late models returning to the speedway or the possibility of running a WDLMA special event.

Widlmfan, you worked with Bill Behling, so you know exactly how that conversation ended and why. It's 2017 and still no hope of a return of DLM's in any capacity.

They love their IRA specials and annual WoO sprint race at Beaver Dam Raceway and they pack the house every time. In 2009, the track lost their @$$ for the WoO DLM show. 32 DLM's pulled through the pit gate, along with a strong showing of Mods and Legends. The DLM's put on an excellent show with 3 grooves of racing, and Feger won in Highside fashion. Unfortunately, there was as many people in the pits as in the grandstand.

I wish Dirt Kings all the best, and I plan to support as many shows as I can, including the Plymouth "special" race.

It's too bad that the DLM owners/drivers in SE Wisconsin can't race at the best dirt racing facility in the southern half of the state.

I wonder if Beaver Dam management would be willing to lease the track to another promoter to bring late models in? Awfully nice facility and track to not have a couple good late model races there.

Several year back they ran I think 2 years where they had a special with USAC sprints and midgets on the same program, which you rarely get to see. Both times weather was awful and never drew a decent crowd. That was the end of that.