Default What happened to Shane Clanton's brother that raced asphalt

I remember back in the days of ASA when I still watched asphalt racing. There was a Clanton that raced and was pretty successful. I was told that he was Shane's older brother. I haven't watched asphalt racing in several years. I was wondering if je still races or what is he doing??
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

Your are thinking of Shane's brother Joey who was born on November 1, 1972 which would make him 44 right now. He was ROY in ASA in 2000. He won the championship in 2002. He moved on to the what is the Xfinity series now driving for Clarence Brewer in 18 races in 2003. In 2004 he ran two races in the Truck series driving for Curtis Key. In 2007 he drove in the Truck series for Tad Geschickter with the Zaxby's sponsorship for 16 races. In 2008 he drove a truck for Roush with Zaxby's sponsorship for one race at Daytona and was let go after crashing Colin Braun. That's all I have on him, I think his career in NASCAR ended there.

I went to an asphalt super late model race last weekend at Watermelon Capital Speedway in Cordele, GA. Joey Clantons son was there racing the support division legends car race with Zaxby's sponsorship. So, I assume Joey is focusing on moving his son up through the ranks of motorsport now.

Joey was he11 on asphalt, but another brother, Rusty, was he1l on dirt back when Billy was still racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc88D View Post
    I remember back in the days of ASA when I still watched asphalt racing. There was a Clanton that raced and was pretty successful. I was told that he was Shane's older brother. I haven't watched asphalt racing in several years. I was wondering if je still races or what is he doing??
    He runs a string of Zaxby's, great driver if not for his temper. If I remember right he pretty much told Jack Rousch off while he was driving for him... Some people excuse that kind of behavior from a driver as being, "passion", but to me its refusing to control yourself.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    He runs a string of Zaxby's, great driver if not for his temper. If I remember right he pretty much told Jack Rousch off while he was driving for him... Some people excuse that kind of behavior from a driver as being, "passion", but to me its refusing to control yourself.
    Agreed. When it's Jack Rousch, he demands a level of respect imo.

And you'd be an idiot to not at least suck it up with him, until you established yourself. Then if you wanted to move on, so be it.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Default Why Would Anyone

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Agreed. When it's Jack Rousch, he demands a level of respect imo.

And you'd be an idiot to not at least suck it up with him, until you established yourself. Then if you wanted to move on, so be it.
    Suck up to Roush, afterall how many years has it been since they won a race. And Wayne Gap taught him everything he knew except how to wreck an airplane. Leonard

Maybe Carl will try him out again and whats wrong with Biffle ?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by poolcuemaster View Post
    Suck up to Roush, afterall how many years has it been since they won a race. And Wayne Gap taught him everything he knew except how to wreck an airplane. Leonard
    It was more than 10 years ago, when Rousch was still a contender. The Clanton's are known for their tempers in my area, I grew up around them at Dixie, Rome & Senoia. Very talented bunch, both in driving and car building, but HOT tempers.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by poolcuemaster View Post
    Sorry, I still believe in having some respect for someone like Jack Rousch.

And we are all aware of the tempers and shady driving of at least Shane, but sounds like Joey too.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Joey owns a Zaxby franchise now. He occasionally crew chiefs for various late model drivers. All the Clantons are very good drivers. I use to help their older brother Rusty when he was running asphalt. He was probably the best out of all of them. Never got the big break to move up past regional racing. He still runs Billy Clayton Racing. They all are great fabricators too. I helped build several race cars with all of them. Good times.

As far as tempers go they didn't take no crap off anyone on or off the track. It usually was someone being stupid on the track that set them off. Most of the time they ended it too.

Quote Originally Posted by clanton25fan View Post
    Joey owns a Zaxby franchise now. He occasionally crew chiefs for various late model drivers. All the Clantons are very good drivers. I use to help their older brother Rusty when he was running asphalt. He was probably the best out of all of them. Never got the big break to move up past regional racing. He still runs Billy Clayton Racing. They all are great fabricators too. I helped build several race cars with all of them. Good times.

As far as tempers go they didn't take no crap off anyone on or off the track. It usually was someone being stupid on the track that set them off. Most of the time they ended it too.
    As well as the times when Shane has sh!t his brains out.

Quote Originally Posted by clanton25fan View Post

Thanks for making my point.
    Politically Incorrect.