Default Alabama Dirt Movie Review [No Spoilers]

No spoilers by me however you might want to move on if you really want to watch this movie and haven't done so yet.

Set in the stereotypical hardscrabble redneckism that is dirt track racing, this movie never really takes the green flag.

Director Tom Stout's 5-year gap in the director's chair is immediately front-n-center. It's almost as if he has zero clue to what this movie should be. Perhaps he acknowledged that there's safety in numbers that no good dirt racing has ever been made and likely will ever be.

Look, I gave credence to this project being a (very) low budget indie film. As a studied viewer of indie (usually short) films, it's completely acceptable to whiff on one or more components of a film but usually one layer will rise above the muck be it artistic ideas or creativeness, possibly the dialogue, maybe the script or good production value. Alabama Dirt had none of thee above.

Besides daisey dukes, spaghetti strap shirts and sundresses filled with wholesome southern girls, we do acquire a car, a star, a villain, a cute chick and a host of other human moving parts but threaded in between all this character development, the director falls to give us much racing or mechanization a movie of this caliber deserves.

Oh yeah, you gotta have the cool factor. Taking a Super Stock out on the highway is cool. Pointless, but cool. It did look good on film, tho.

Well if you're going to put a wink in your movie, casting this young lady wasn't wrong. Oh you think I posted this picture for horn-doggin', well she's got the looks but she was the only person in the entire film that could act. Period. Expect to see her star rise.

Ok, to break it down in one last paragraph, here we go: The script was absolutely horrible. The plot, predictable and just plain unoriginal. The dialogue, 98% was painful to listen to, it was like the star was using an earpiece and his director was reading the lines into his ears. No snap, no rhythm, no flow. Dry and canned. Racing jargon was absent, largely. Totally disappointed this movie had no promotional value whatsoever to our sport.

Rating: Black Flag. I didn't think I'd find a movie worse than The Accountant this soon but what's even more depressing is Alabama Dirt set us up for sequel. I can't even imagine...

Kudos to Deep South Speedway for letting us see your beautiful highbanks. It was the best part of the movie!
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Default movie....

It's on the 'huge video sharing" website....
    Formerly 66#1

The Youtube trailer for the movie says the hero is a dirt poor boy (of course) who pursues his passion for racing at night and, by day, is a manager at his uncle's (I swear I;m not making this up) telephone pole plant. The cute chick is the rival 's girlfriend until she hooks up with the hero when she finds out about his day job (well, maybe not for that reason.) When the rivalry intensifies we can hardly wait to see what happens from there. (Of course, we pretty well know.) Sounds pretty exciting to me and I can hardly wait to see the whole film...NOT!!! Thanks for the alert PennDirt.

What the he!! are you guys talking about?

That was horrible!

This movie is aimed at the younger crowd... don't be so harsh. Anything that gives our sport a shot at a new fan is worthwhile... no one said it was going to be Gone With The Wind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH2X8s8v3X8
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

you can find the whole movie for free

yep... just watched it on youtube...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

...and, in fairness, it wasn't any worse than some of the old movies with name stars and bigger budgets. Think "Redline 7,000", the "Big Wheel", "Six Pack" or countless others.