Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DLM nose pieces

Default DLM nose pieces

Are waaay too wide, with flares. Putting too much aero on the cars. Need to make them like they were in early to mid 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Are waaay too wide, with flares. Putting too much aero on the cars. Need to make them like they were in early to mid 2000's

Everybody agrees but nothing will change, oh yea they're also ugly.

Ditto that, they are too wide, look back at the nose pieces of the mid to late 90's, that was correct in my view.

Late Model Mark
    Talladega Short Track Announcer

Exactly right!!!

like the old UMP days but people said they were ugly back then

Lets go old school and put the wedge back on em
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Take them back to the 75 Camero or Nova's, with curved roofs.

It seems to me from the outside looking in that some guys are more radical then others, but overall the racing has been good across the board more times then not fellas. An aint that what matters most????

The cars from the early to mid 2000s (and anytime at all before that) were extremely ugly in my opinion. The current cars are some of the baddest looking rides on the planet -- it grabs peoples attention. I can't imagine going back to the old style bodies.

They look like cow catchers on old steam locomotives. Make them look like cars they claim to be.

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    The cars from the early to mid 2000s (and anytime at all before that) were extremely ugly in my opinion. The current cars are some of the baddest looking rides on the planet -- it grabs peoples attention. I can't imagine going back to the old style bodies.
    I totally agree.
    A Super Late Model should be unique. I don't care what the nose emblem is. Impala-Grand Prix-Corvette-he11, I've even seen Cadillac emblems on em. In what way does a current late model resemble any car? Not in the least bit.
    The Late Model of today is as sexy as he11. I wouldn't change anything.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by highside hustler25 View Post
    i totally agree. A super late model should be unique. I don't care what the nose emblem is. Impala-grand prix-corvette-he11, i've even seen cadillac emblems on em. In what way does a current late model resemble any car? Not in the least bit. The late model of today is as sexy as he11. I wouldn't change anything.
    ....preach!.....

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    They look like cow catchers on old steam locomotives. Make them look like cars they claim to be.
    I was being sarcastic with the 75 body. Truth is that horse left the barn a long time ago. we are never going back. They also don't have to run a engine from the car they claim to be. It is what it is.

Scrapping the current nose pieces would require every single team in the sport to go out and buy new noses and spares. It would cost just much money as it would supposedly save.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Run-away rules, letting the nose guy dictate what the noses look like. They let the rules go lax on the noses and bugger up the rear suspension rules. How marvelous?! The cow may have got out, but they've been reigned in before, hence going from "wedge" to "small bodies". Nostalgia swoons for the wedge, but in truth, just like today, all that down-force just droive up the motor costs. I hate the way the cars look these days, running around all FDAU. In the pits or on the grid they look like they have a fat lip on one side, just bollocks. Down-force will kill the racing, we need a rollback on the rules, IMHO and lower the corner speeds. Should've stopped calling them late models 17 years ago, maybe Super Po-Go Sticks.
    Politically Incorrect.

The solution is so easy here. These cars are so aero dependant and make so much downforce that the lifespan of our engines between freshenings is half of what it used to be. We used to run our motors 1800-2000 laps between freshening. Now we have to send them in after around 800-1000 or else you risk having failures. The loading of the motors due to the high downforce is the cause.
    The second issue is the large aerodynamic wake behind the cars which makes it almost impossible to race in a tight pack anymore without losing the nose and the ability to steer the car in that situation.
    The third issue is the lack of visibility when racing in traffic. These spoilers are so high that you literally can't see beyond the spoiler of the car in front of you alot of times which is why these cars dont race in tight packs anymore.
    If they cut the height of the spoilers in half from 8" down to 4", it would solve all 3 of those issues. The engines will last longer which saves money, we can race in tighter groups which allows more passing which helps racing in general, and it will give the drivers a better line of sight which will prevent wrecks and allow us to race closer.
    Now, by doing this, the teams will reduce the size and length of their noses to re-balance the cars so the rest of the body rules will reign themselves in.
    Will this work?? It has been done by STARS in 1995 when they reduced the spoiler size from 12" to 8". It solved all of the problems highlighted above. UMP did this back in the mid 1980's when they got rid of the wedge cars and adopted the smaller body rules. The UMP modifieds removed their spoilers entirely and it has doubled the time we can run our engines, we can use lower horsepower engines that cost less and are still competitive, and the racing is alot more fun because you can see better and you have to use your foot to be fast again.
    i have preached this to several of the 'higher ups' in the sport but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I love this sport and it has been my life for the past 30 plus years. I am an engineer with aerodynamic experience as well as a driver who has driven these cars in the different configurations. The cost to implement a spoiler height reduction is minimal and implementation could be immediate. We have been improving these cars continuously and it is time for another aerodynamic "reset" to keep the sport alive and healthy.
    Brian Ruhlman
    Ruhlman Race Cars, LLC
    2132 Jefferson Road
    Clarklake, MI 49234
    517-529-4661
    www.brianruhlmanracing.com
    email: brianruhlmanracing@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlman Race Cars View Post
    The solution is so easy here. These cars are so aero dependant and make so much downforce that the lifespan of our engines between freshenings is half of what it used to be. We used to run our motors 1800-2000 laps between freshening. Now we have to send them in after around 800-1000 or else you risk having failures. The loading of the motors due to the high downforce is the cause.
    The second issue is the large aerodynamic wake behind the cars which makes it almost impossible to race in a tight pack anymore without losing the nose and the ability to steer the car in that situation.
    The third issue is the lack of visibility when racing in traffic. These spoilers are so high that you literally can't see beyond the spoiler of the car in front of you alot of times which is why these cars dont race in tight packs anymore.
    If they cut the height of the spoilers in half from 8" down to 4", it would solve all 3 of those issues. The engines will last longer which saves money, we can race in tighter groups which allows more passing which helps racing in general, and it will give the drivers a better line of sight which will prevent wrecks and allow us to race closer.
    Now, by doing this, the teams will reduce the size and length of their noses to re-balance the cars so the rest of the body rules will reign themselves in.
    Will this work?? It has been done by STARS in 1995 when they reduced the spoiler size from 12" to 8". It solved all of the problems highlighted above. UMP did this back in the mid 1980's when they got rid of the wedge cars and adopted the smaller body rules. The UMP modifieds removed their spoilers entirely and it has doubled the time we can run our engines, we can use lower horsepower engines that cost less and are still competitive, and the racing is alot more fun because you can see better and you have to use your foot to be fast again.
    i have preached this to several of the 'higher ups' in the sport but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I love this sport and it has been my life for the past 30 plus years. I am an engineer with aerodynamic experience as well as a driver who has driven these cars in the different configurations. The cost to implement a spoiler height reduction is minimal and implementation could be immediate. We have been improving these cars continuously and it is time for another aerodynamic "reset" to keep the sport alive and healthy.
    Brian, why don't drivers group together and take a stand against sanctioning groups to implement rule changes they would like to see changed, when it comes to issues like this. Whether it's WoO, LOLMS, UMP etc. As long as they are making money they don't care how much is being spent on the cars. It eventually trickles down to the weekend racer.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Brian, why don't drivers group together and take a stand against sanctioning groups to implement rule changes they would like to see changed, when it comes to issues like this. Whether it's WoO, LOLMS, UMP etc. As long as they are making money they don't care how much is being spent on the cars. It eventually trickles down to the weekend racer.
    The same reason drivers dont group together when a track cuts the payout, has terrible track conditions, no ambulance, no fire truck, blunt wall openings, or no insurance......

My concern is driven from the standpoint that weekly racers are my customer base and if they quit racing, my business suffers. As a racer, we are all our own worst enemies......like asking the foxes to fix the fence on the chicken coop......
    Brian Ruhlman
    Ruhlman Race Cars, LLC
    2132 Jefferson Road
    Clarklake, MI 49234
    517-529-4661
    www.brianruhlmanracing.com
    email: brianruhlmanracing@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlman Race Cars View Post
    I like it a lot. A driver proposed a spoiler rule to me the other day that made some good sense if the powers that be really wanted to save racers money.

Iron block car = 8 in spoiler
    Aluminum block car = 6 in spoiler
    Aluminum wide bore = 4 in spoiler
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

That nose on Bobbies car at PRI looked like a dam airplane lol. Probably had to widen the doors at the wind tunnel just to make it fit. Seems like you would have so much downforce on the nose your gonna have to add 6" to the spoiler for balance. Some of you guys have an eye and impress me with your ability to spot new changes. Props