Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: DLM nose pieces

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greater Nati
    Posts
    992

    Default

    I agree ptown. Flat nose, flat deck- double thumbs up

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Lucas oil, had at least discussed trimming or eliminating rear spoilers and some sort of front valance elimination or hieght requirement for the 2017 season. However it seems dead for 2017 as all the attention right now is on the rear end weights which like I said will be released any time now, because teams are being told the rule it's just not in print yet. They flip-flopped on what they were/are going to do and as usual, the rule that will actually stop what they are wanting/trying to stop was not chosen and they did a stupid way of limiting it that costs more money and really don't totally stop it at all.

    I have such a headache from beating my head on the desk it's not funny, who would have thought they got this rule wrong too, least as far as how they wrote it (least what is being told the the racers going to speedweeks) and just made it hard to tech when there is a real simple way to do it that they were going to do but passed for whatever reason.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greater Nati
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Lucas oil, had at least discussed trimming or eliminating rear spoilers and some sort of front valance elimination or hieght requirement for the 2017 season. However it seems dead for 2017 as all the attention right now is on the rear end weights which like I said will be released any time now, because teams are being told the rule it's just not in print yet. They flip-flopped on what they were/are going to do and as usual, the rule that will actually stop what they are wanting/trying to stop was not chosen and they did a stupid way of limiting it that costs more money and really don't totally stop it at all.

    I have such a headache from beating my head on the desk it's not funny, who would have thought they got this rule wrong too, least as far as how they wrote it (least what is being told the the racers going to speedweeks) and just made it hard to tech when there is a real simple way to do it that they were going to do but passed for whatever reason.
    You mean the photographing series director didn't get it right? I'm shocked

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Peoria
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    You mean the photographing series director didn't get it right? I'm shocked
    I always wondered how that qualified him for that job, maybe he knew somebody.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    I'd say Mr Ruhlman has a good handle on this subject... Maybe I'll reuse the old Mustang nose that came on my car
    A leaf spring guy in a Rumley device world...

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    261

    Default

    The ARP nose on Bobby's car has a lot more angle on it to grab the air in the corners. The flat is smaller because it was a nightmare to fit on the rocket nose and get it back far enough. I went back to md3 and cut alittle out of the center to get through my dam trailer door.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    I have this Mustang nose laying in a snowbank...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A leaf spring guy in a Rumley device world...

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,087

    Default

    I think everyone would agree that lowering the spoiler height would take over all down force away, but then what do you do about sticking that short spoiler higher in the air during rear hike. A longer bar, change of instant center and anti-squat, hikes the rear up another 4 inches into the fresh air and spoiler limitations are nullified. I think the direction is right but not quite simple as written. There are too many ways to skin a cat, to keep it simple. You may have to limit hike in the rear and compression in the front, along with reduction in valences to keep under side air separate from out side air. The difference in pressure of air under the body and out side the body, is what gives down force.

    On the other hand, down force isn't all bad. It is what keeps you stable in the air wash of a car in front. Or at least how much you can keep with a car in front, disrupting clean air. There are too many degrees of good or bad here to be a simple fix. The biggest thing is, if everyone is limited to a car that is the same as the one in front and behind, that is exactly where he will stay. I say Same, Fair, Regulated and no advantage is a terrible way to put on a exciting race. The wrench turner would have no place in that race. Innovation makes for exciting races.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL/Sardinia, OH
    Posts
    7,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I think everyone would agree that lowering the spoiler height would take over all down force away, but then what do you do about sticking that short spoiler higher in the air during rear hike. A longer bar, change of instant center and anti-squat, hikes the rear up another 4 inches into the fresh air and spoiler limitations are nullified. I think the direction is right but not quite simple as written. There are too many ways to skin a cat, to keep it simple. You may have to limit hike in the rear and compression in the front, along with reduction in valences to keep under side air separate from out side air. The difference in pressure of air under the body and out side the body, is what gives down force.

    On the other hand, down force isn't all bad. It is what keeps you stable in the air wash of a car in front. Or at least how much you can keep with a car in front, disrupting clean air. There are too many degrees of good or bad here to be a simple fix. The biggest thing is, if everyone is limited to a car that is the same as the one in front and behind, that is exactly where he will stay. I say Same, Fair, Regulated and no advantage is a terrible way to put on a exciting race. The wrench turner would have no place in that race. Innovation makes for exciting races.
    There are quite a few factors that limit how high we can really get the rear without messing other things up too bad. Even then, a smaller spoiler would produce less down force.
    I agree 100% with your last point.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.