Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DLM nose pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlman Race Cars View Post
    The solution is so easy here. These cars are so aero dependant and make so much downforce that the lifespan of our engines between freshenings is half of what it used to be. We used to run our motors 1800-2000 laps between freshening. Now we have to send them in after around 800-1000 or else you risk having failures. The loading of the motors due to the high downforce is the cause.
    The second issue is the large aerodynamic wake behind the cars which makes it almost impossible to race in a tight pack anymore without losing the nose and the ability to steer the car in that situation.
    The third issue is the lack of visibility when racing in traffic. These spoilers are so high that you literally can't see beyond the spoiler of the car in front of you alot of times which is why these cars dont race in tight packs anymore.
    If they cut the height of the spoilers in half from 8" down to 4", it would solve all 3 of those issues. The engines will last longer which saves money, we can race in tighter groups which allows more passing which helps racing in general, and it will give the drivers a better line of sight which will prevent wrecks and allow us to race closer.
    Now, by doing this, the teams will reduce the size and length of their noses to re-balance the cars so the rest of the body rules will reign themselves in.
    Will this work?? It has been done by STARS in 1995 when they reduced the spoiler size from 12" to 8". It solved all of the problems highlighted above. UMP did this back in the mid 1980's when they got rid of the wedge cars and adopted the smaller body rules. The UMP modifieds removed their spoilers entirely and it has doubled the time we can run our engines, we can use lower horsepower engines that cost less and are still competitive, and the racing is alot more fun because you can see better and you have to use your foot to be fast again.
    i have preached this to several of the 'higher ups' in the sport but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I love this sport and it has been my life for the past 30 plus years. I am an engineer with aerodynamic experience as well as a driver who has driven these cars in the different configurations. The cost to implement a spoiler height reduction is minimal and implementation could be immediate. We have been improving these cars continuously and it is time for another aerodynamic "reset" to keep the sport alive and healthy.
    There you go, straight from a professional racers mouth. Down-force and visibility. Essentially they are running wedge cars thru suspension hike, Totally FUGLY!
    Politically Incorrect.

Right now,the dirt late model is the baddest looking race cars anywhere. Why would you mess with them. Quit bitching about little thing. Enjoy the fact that our sport looks different than others. They don't need to look stock. They need to be fast and look wicked. You want production looking race cars,go to a blacktop race.

I personally thought they looked better when you could see how wide the tires were and they stuck out of the body a little bit. Any time I see a street car with rear tires wide enough to stick out a ways it grabs my attention.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Great thread.....

I guess I'm old school. I don't care for the looks of the cars now, or the way they race. Like Brian Ruhlman's ideas.

Same here. Cars are just butt-ugly. I too, like Brian's ideas.

anything to make the racing better and the car count back up, how about having stock noses like the new Camaro mustang etc

It appears to me, a 5 or 6 inch valence height would greatly help also. Make it standard mounting and standard bumpers.

Keep the bodies the same. They were originally called "outlaw" for a reason. Go watch Nascrap if you want stock appearing!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    anything to make the racing better and the car count back up, how about having stock noses like the new Camaro mustang etc
    If we wanted your opinion we would've asked for it.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 01-11-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Loved the old ones.....love the new.

Times and taste change.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Yeah Perverton, you get to bed early tonight and quit bothering us grownups!!!

The people on here that say leave it alone are the ones not footing the bill.

I've liked all generations of late models myself, even the new. However, I do like Mr.Rulhmans ideas. It's simple and sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    who made you gawd

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    who made you gawd
    What??????

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    It appears to me, a 5 or 6 inch valence height would greatly help also. Make it standard mounting and standard bumpers.

Keep the bodies the same. They were originally called "outlaw" for a reason. Go watch Nascrap if you want stock appearing!
    Probably just make the cars more brutal on a rough track when you have less travel to work with to get the nose back on the ground.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    The people on here that say leave it alone are the ones not footing the bill.
    They're all opinions Knucklehead. Don't take it to seriously
    8/13/16

I personally like the gen1 and gen 2 md3 with closed rear sail panels. Im not a fan of the new noses. I also think (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits have gotten alittle outta hand with aero

Pay no attention to Ruhlman's comments. They make too much sense to fly!

IMO the best looking era of late models, not sure exactly the year mid 90s?
    Attached Images Attached Images