Thread: Swartz

Default Swartz

Little before my time but I remember my uncle talking about chargin Charley with a mid engine late model in the early 80s. Does anyone remember if he had any success in the mid engine car? I remember when I first started going racing that if you weren't in a wedge car you weren't winning but have no memory of the mid engine ride he designed. Anyone with info, I'd appreciate some history.

Man I'm sorry but, that's one ugly ride.

That thing was a land yacht. Even though it is indeed ugly....man that thing is bad. I seen it a few years ago at the north south when they recreated it. I was amazed at how big it was.

Anyone know how muchnit weighed?

I was really curious about how the car performed on the track? Couldn't have been a world beater but does anyone know if he ever won any races with this design? I did a little research and all I could figure out is that the chassis was more than likely a bullit chassis. That's all I got

Reminds me of these. I remember when they they used to televise these races on TNN (Spike channel now) back in the day. Can't remember if it was friday nights or saturday nights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNgYEAZRNU

The original car is in Minnesota, owner of one of the dirt tracks up there has possession of it. It was recently on a Facebook post along with a lot of the history of it. There were two cars built like this. I will try to find the post on it.

It seems like Loy Allen Jr was in the other one ?

20/20 Racing history on Facebook, or search type: Swartz mid engine, Pretty cool piece of racing history. I would love to drive that thing.

It was seriously fast, it was the car that made Wedge cars Illegal, the straw that broke the camels back.

The story was told to me was, Charlie had a driveshaft let go on him in a normal Wedge, and i think he got injured. Anyway, pissed him off and him and Ray Callahan of Bullet Chassis set out to design something safer and came up with this.

Just say no...

If made legal MR race cars would dominate, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff said View Post
    It seems like Loy Allen Jr was in the other one ?
    Yes he was.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

They had that car at this passed world finals. I didnt get to see it run as i was in the pits as they were backing it in there spot.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Charley said how he liked how he could dive in deeper on the car in front because you could see better sitting up front like that.