Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When are 2017 lucas rules going to come out?

Just wondering when they are going to come out, it's getting pretty late.

3 weeks until the first race and the rules aren't even finalized, what a joke.
    The one rule that really makes me scratch my head is the wheel cover rule. Keyser is selling the rivet on nuts for $5 and the bolts themselves for $7. Lets just say most guys have 50 plus wheels. 3 per wheel 5 x 150 = 750 and 7 x 150 = 1,050. That's $1800 for wheel covers!!!!
    Last edited by Drop Shock; 01-19-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Hillbilly math

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Shock View Post
    The one rule that really makes me scratch my head is the wheel cover rule. Keyser is selling the rivet on nuts for $5 and the bolts themselves for $7. Lets just say most guys have 50 plus wheels, 5 x 50= 250 and 7 x 50 = 350. That's $600 and a lot of tedious work.
    Or clamps to bolt weight to the axle tubes. I thought that was a no no?

I was told they had been contacting racers that they thought was going and explaining the rules to them and told them they would be out in writing in 3 or 4 days. That was around the 6th, so I figured by the next weekend they would be out for sure but that didn't happen. The hold up is the rear end weight rules, they keep flip flopping on what they are going to do and how it will be checked. They may have changed their minds again because what they was telling the racers on the 6th was moronic or I should say badly done.

I know they are getting heat for the new saftey rules. Souther Allstars and carolina clash was contacted about adopting the new rules and we're told they wound't adopt them. Regional series can't afford to turn away cars because of the new rules

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Shock View Post
    The one rule that really makes me scratch my head is the wheel cover rule. Keyser is selling the rivet on nuts for $5 and the bolts themselves for $7. Lets just say most guys have 50 plus wheels. 3 per wheel 5 x 150 = 750 and 7 x 150 = 1,050. That's $1800 for wheel covers!!!!
    Even if you have 50 wheels you're not going to have 50 wheel covers. Maybe 8...

I looked at most of the cars at the Wild West Shootout.....most had the screw on covers already. I know we did.

All top teams have 4 wheel cover on must of the time

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    Even if you have 50 wheels you're not going to have 50 wheel covers. Maybe 8...
    I realize that, but you still all gonna have to get all the pop in nuts. You're gonna have to get new wheelcovers and bolts throughout the year. It's just pointless and something that was not given much thought. Also i heard weld was pissed because they make the same wheel rings for late models and sprint cars and now each cars require different wheel covers

50 wheels?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    50 wheels?
    Nobody carries that many wheels, and even in the off chance that somebody might have 50 wheels laying around, they're not going to have anywhere near all of them covered. Folks here really tend to not know how things work.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

It is not pointless at all.

There were more than 40 claims filed in 2016 related to wheel covers striking spectators / officials / crews. Any one of those could have been very serious and even life threatening. Dzus fasteners become worn easily and are not an efficient means to hold something in place with that amount of centrifugal forces and flexion happening. So it was either outlaw them altogether or find a more secure means of fastening.

And WoO Sprints required the bolt on cover in 2016. The same cover/bead ring would be acceptable in the LM rules as well.

tsand as far as regional series not turning cars away - that may be the case THIS YEAR - but lets see how that goes for 2018.

Drop shock I am just using standard body bolts and clips for my wheel covers, way cheaper than what Keyser is selling.

Like this https://www.amazon.com/Body-Bolt-Kit.../dp/B00D9560JS but only the 5/16" version

And I don't want to get in a pissing match flagone, but 40 reported instances out of how many thousands of races last year seems like an immaterial amount.
    Last edited by cjsracing; 01-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    It is not pointless at all.

There were more than 40 claims filed in 2016 related to wheel covers striking spectators / officials / crews. Any one of those could have been very serious and even life threatening. Dzus fasteners become worn easily and are not an efficient means to hold something in place with that amount of centrifugal forces and flexion happening. So it was either outlaw them altogether or find a more secure means of fastening.

And WoO Sprints required the bolt on cover in 2016. The same cover/bead ring would be acceptable in the LM rules as well.

tsand as far as regional series not turning cars away - that may be the case THIS YEAR - but lets see how that goes for 2018.

I love it when Kelley comes in to a thread and makes all the keyboard "experts" look stupid.

cjsracing I don't want to do that either. But I am going to have to put it in different terms.

In 2016 more than 40 people were hit by a projectile with sharp edges and had serious enough an injury that they filed an insurance claim (which means they went to seek medical treatment). If that is inconsequential I guess I must just be crazy. The spectators are generally protected by some type of barrier. Either a fence or a wall or both. To say that there were enough instances of these things coming off happening that more than 40 times it was able to bypass / get through these protective barriers to me (and to insurance companies that allow race tracks to be open) is alarming. Not to mention the numbers of unnecessary debris yellows created when these things come off on the race track.

So what I will say in rebuttal to your comment is compared to the money you already spend to race, the amount it will cost you to be compliant with a safer wheel cover fastener will be inconsequential. In fact it may even save you some money in the long run by not having to replace all the ones you lose when they come off on the track.

flagone, thanks. That was a fair and thought out response.

Red face They are still ignoring the 900HP Gorilla in the room...

So over all of this...(good-bye)
    Time to go "Wingless" sprint racing I do believe. Better racing, 1/10th the headaches and expense.
    Drop in a racesaver 305 or LS 5.3, set to blocks, top off with alky and away we go. Y'all have fun.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    I know they are getting heat for the new saftey rules. Souther Allstars and carolina clash was contacted about adopting the new rules and we're told they wound't adopt them. Regional series can't afford to turn away cars because of the new rules
    ray cooks racing series requires the hanns device, on board fire system. and a few other things. we are super low budget and just happy to make the field. if we can be in compliance with the safety rules, I'm sure these other drivers and teams can. 300,000 dollar car hauler, but they buy a ten dollar helmet.
    victim

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    And I don't want to get in a pissing match flagone, but 40 reported instances out of how many thousands of races last year seems like an immaterial amount.
    Is this number officially posted somewhere?

Why not just eliminate the metal wheel cover period? Make teams use plastic or a nylon cover.