Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All it takes is ONE person getting hurt and immaterial goes out the window. It should be all of our responsibility when we go through that pit gate to take every precaution we can to keep EVERYONE safe. We have about 40 wheels we have to change over. So what if it costs a few hundred bucks. If it keeps us from possibly taking a life, then that little amount of money means very little. FWIW. I hate the dam duetz's on the wheels anyway. Some wheels the covers are to tight and some are too loose. At least now I feel like I can get them tight on a consistent basis.

This responsibility needs to fall onto the tracks to provide proper fencing to protect the spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    This responsibility needs to fall onto the tracks to provide proper fencing to protect the spectators.
    I've watched a wheel cover come off a car and clear a 70' tall light pole. Exactly what fencing are you suggesting to protect against that?

Quote Originally Posted by JKing View Post
    I've watched a wheel cover come off a car and clear a 70' tall light pole. Exactly what fencing are you suggesting to protect against that?
    Saw a broken break rotor do that as well. Most tracks do or should have a sign at each entrance warning them the possibility of flying debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Nobody carries that many wheels, and even in the off chance that somebody might have 50 wheels laying around, they're not going to have anywhere near all of them covered. Folks here really tend to not know how things work.
    The initial bulletin said they had to be 5/16 bolts, so was it changed to 1/4 inch bolts? I just don't think the bolt deal is smart because they stick out further and are more likely to be sheerd off due to conatact, you also can get one cross threaded easily and still cause the cover to come off. Also a lot of guys run plastic covers so they're more likely to pull through. I think these rules came from a good place but were definitely not written with the local and regional racers in mind, and are lacking some common sense

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Saw a broken break rotor do that as well. Most tracks do or should have a sign at each entrance warning them the possibility of flying debris.
    Correct. And if you can take a simple step to eliminate the hazard, do it. Them deus wheel covers blow d!ck, and usually you got two in correctly and one probably not.

I mean, wadda you think will happen when that thing clears a fence, metal or plastic, and hits you in your head. The chances of you dying are better than you living.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by JKing View Post
    Exactly Josh.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    It is not pointless at all.

There were more than 40 claims filed in 2016 related to wheel covers striking spectators / officials / crews. Any one of those could have been very serious and even life threatening. Dzus fasteners become worn easily and are not an efficient means to hold something in place with that amount of centrifugal forces and flexion happening. So it was either outlaw them altogether or find a more secure means of fastening.

And WoO Sprints required the bolt on cover in 2016. The same cover/bead ring would be acceptable in the LM rules as well.

tsand as far as regional series not turning cars away - that may be the case THIS YEAR - but lets see how that goes for 2018.
    Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    cjsracing I don't want to do that either. But I am going to have to put it in different terms.

In 2016 more than 40 people were hit by a projectile with sharp edges and had serious enough an injury that they filed an insurance claim (which means they went to seek medical treatment). If that is inconsequential I guess I must just be crazy. The spectators are generally protected by some type of barrier. Either a fence or a wall or both. To say that there were enough instances of these things coming off happening that more than 40 times it was able to bypass / get through these protective barriers to me (and to insurance companies that allow race tracks to be open) is alarming. Not to mention the numbers of unnecessary debris yellows created when these things come off on the race track.

So what I will say in rebuttal to your comment is compared to the money you already spend to race, the amount it will cost you to be compliant with a safer wheel cover fastener will be inconsequential. In fact it may even save you some money in the long run by not having to replace all the ones you lose when they come off on the track.
    Well said Kelley.