Default Paper air filters

Who makes the best throw away paper air filters? At an auto parts store what make model car/truck are they from?

Napa. Wix 42096r

How do they compare to an R2C air filter? How often do you change them out?

I'll run them 4-6 nights with a pre filter. They are cheap and I have 0 issues with valve seat wear or containment getting in. Never used r2c had the expensive ones braswell sent me but I'd never buy that stuff. These work good . It's also the same filter we used back when I was working in the cup realm. I figured if it's good enough for them .

Napa generally has a "filter sale" at least once a year. If you can find out the date it takes the normally $10 air filter to like 3 or 4 bucks. We always used to stock up on oil and air filters during that time. That's what we always ran and never had an issue. The napa part number is 2096 they also have a "silver" brand that's pretty much the same that's number is 22096.

in 2008 I chassis dyno compared every paper filter out there and compared to the NEW at the time r2c.

Car quest paper was the best for hp for paper, but it also clearly was the thinnest as you could see thru it. which equals more dirt and contaminents in your motor so youll be down power after 10-15 nights easily from ring wear.

Why wouldnt you buy a r2c and be done with it? Youll save money on filters and engine rebuilding and oil changes.

I have chassis dyno tested r2c filters completely filthy after 10-15 nights and had no power loss or change compared to a brand new one I put on back to back.

The sealing surfaces on r2c alone make a big difference. Zero dirt on my venturis ever... always had dirt on them from paper filters.

I use an r2c filter and have no plan to switch. I was just curious to hear from those that use paper filters.

^^ 10-4, there is no reason not to run them, there is no negative that Ive ever seen or heard of.

One of the best bang for your buck is the r2c. No other filter on the market can compete with the seal on these things.

Ditto on the R2C. Blow it out with air every night and race it forever.

Do any of you run a k&n prefilter on your r2c? Just bought a r2c for my truck and I still have the prefilter from my k&n.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Sorry if I'm high jacking the thread. But....... anyone have any dyno info or experience on the Kinser air filters?

What kind of top/bottom are you guys running with your r2c's?
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

molded to match your carb bottom, aluminum spun top, so the nut is well recessed down in there.

If kinsler filters you mean the sprint car injection type r2c makes a set up for them.

No, Kinser makes a 14 inch filter for traditional 4 barrel carbs. I have been running one for a couple of years. I haven't had any issues. I clean it every race and have never found dirt in the carb. Motor HP seems good or better than the paper Wix filters I was running. I was just curious if anyone else had tried them.

Default Kinser

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey97 View Post
    No, Kinser makes a 14 inch filter for traditional 4 barrel carbs. I have been running one for a couple of years. I haven't had any issues. I clean it every race and have never found dirt in the carb. Motor HP seems good or better than the paper Wix filters I was running. I was just curious if anyone else had tried them.
    Used to be the only thing I ran on the sprint car and had a noticeable difference between it and a k&n air box. Makes me think I should get one again

For what it's worth - I will never run a R2C again.

I ran only throwaway paper Wix filters for years, then won a free R2C. Tried it for a season. During the offseason freshen, my engine builder said to never run whatever air filter I had been using because there was sludge in the engine. Switched back to paper and never had another problem.

On a similar topic - do Outerwears pre-filters really work? My brain says that if I'm filtering out dust with a super fine pre-filter, whatever dirt gets through to the actual air filter will pass right through since the air filter is more coarse than the pre-filter. Is this correct?

Interesting thought on the Outerwears. You may have something but I use 'em on the carb and oil breathers. A few shots of Oil Eater and a water rinse every week keep them clean. We run a few heavy tracks and, at least, they keep the big chunks of dirt out and my Wix paper filters last longer and my carbs seem to stay cleaner. Someone on another thread a while back said they kill air flow to the carb and he didn't like them but my carbs are jetted a little smaller than many of our friends and they don't run lean so I doubt that.