Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Explain to me CIRF how the points affect the viewer.... Or can anyone else explain to me how the points affect the racing for the viewer?
    I for one have nevered watched a race for points and my brother and I have never raced and cared about points s, for me I could care less.

Explain to me CIRF how the points affect the viewer.... Or can anyone else explain to me how the points affect the racing for the viewer?
    For the casual, or semi-casual viewer the points are in most cases, immaterial. No question about that. Back when I was deeply immersed in the NASCAR culture (pre 21st century) the points standings were of significant importance. Especially after Memorial Day. This went for literally everyone I knew who took any interest in NASCAR Cup racing at that time.

Since the conclusion of the 2003 Cup season the top to bottom points standings have been meaningless throughout the summer portion of the season. The only interest anyone has in points these days is who is on the bubble. In other words who has the potential to be part of the gimmick and who doesn't or who's in striking distance of the gimmick.

Whether or not this was the ultimate goal of the gimmick-makers in Daytona is a mystery to me. Either way they succeeded.

I will happily grant you that the points standings since "03 have had little or no affect on the weekly racing to most, if not all Cup fans. At least the few that remain.

I vote for a trophy dash and an Australian Pursuit race...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

The whole idea is to create more crashes. They know that there are a high percentage of fans that love the plate tracks because they want to see the big crashes. Now with this format there will be plenty of torn up cars for them to get their fill of it.

I guess some of will sit back and watch the big crashes while others just come on here and complain about it lol

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    For the casual, or semi-casual viewer the points are in most cases, immaterial. No question about that. Back when I was deeply immersed in the NASCAR culture (pre 21st century) the points standings were of significant importance. Especially after Memorial Day. This went for literally everyone I knew who took any interest in NASCAR Cup racing at that time.

Since the conclusion of the 2003 Cup season the top to bottom points standings have been meaningless throughout the summer portion of the season. The only interest anyone has in points these days is who is on the bubble. In other words who has the potential to be part of the gimmick and who doesn't or who's in striking distance of the gimmick.

Whether or not this was the ultimate goal of the gimmick-makers in Daytona is a mystery to me. Either way they succeeded.

I will happily grant you that the points standings since "03 have had little or no affect on the weekly racing to most, if not all Cup fans. At least the few that remain.
    So, you sat there with your little yellow pad and kept track of the points each and every race... I'm sorry, but I do not believe you.... I've been watching NASCAR from day one of their TV coverage, never gave a single thought to points until about the last ten races, then numbers weren't what was looked at, it was people.... The only point guys I watched and that was rarely, was the ones stroking because the points race was locked up in July.... Hence the reason I liked the chase... gotta race to the end... And even at that, I never kept track of numbers...ever.... I don't even recall watching them very much when I was racing... I finished second in points one year and was freakin surprised... didn't know we were close...

So, you sat there with your little yellow pad and kept track of the points each and every race... I'm sorry, but I do not believe you....
    Don't care what you believe and I know you're sorry. You are, in fact, a sorry excuse for a race fan!! LOLOL!!

#1. The championship has never been mathematically decided in July. NEVER!! Rarely was the championship decided in September and seldom in October. Often it went down to the final race. It is foolhardy to attempt to rationalize and justify gimmickry with that type of bogus rationalization being the impetus.

#2. After every race back in the days when the championship was a full season exercise in consistency and a reflection of season long accomplishments the network that broadcast the races would show the point standings following each and every race. Later in the season they would show point standings at several different stages of the race and following the race. Most of us who followed Cup racing at that time would anxiously await the point standings following the completion of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Don't care what you believe and I know you're sorry. You are, in fact, a sorry excuse for a race fan!! LOLOL!!

#1. The championship has never been mathematically decided in July. NEVER!! Rarely was the championship decided in September and seldom in October. Often it went down to the final race. It is foolhardy to attempt to rationalize and justify gimmickry with that type of bogus rationalization being the impetus.

#2. After every race back in the days when the championship was a full season exercise in consistency and a reflection of season long accomplishments the network that broadcast the races would show the point standings following each and every race. Later in the season they would show point standings at several different stages of the race and following the race. Most of us who followed Cup racing at that time would anxiously await the point standings following the completion of the race.
    Oh whoopy, you can still copy and paste.... ya got nothing, including that little known skill of comprehension....

Quote Originally Posted by mudstupid47 View Post
    Oh whoopy, you can still copy and paste.... ya got nothing, including that little known skill of comprehension....
    Muddy ol' buddy, what is it that you believe I copied and paste? (This oughta' be good!!LOL!!)

Default Hey Bullslinger47, Robin Miller Is Speaking Directly To YOU!! LOL!

Read it and weep muddy ol' buddy!!!

This piece explains things better than anything I've ever heard or read and it's authored by someone who was a driver in his day and has been a highly respected motor sports journalist for decades.

Besides that, this piece will piss muddy off beyond belief and ya' just gotta' love that! LOL!

Don't be mad at me!! I'm just the messenger! Don't pout at me and stick out your quivering lower lip! Be mad at Robin Miller and take it up with him!! LOLOLOL!!!

ROBIN MILLER: NASCAR's changes are great - for IndyCar
    Wednesday, 25 January 2017
    Robin Miller

What NASCAR announced on Monday could be seen as desperate, confusing, hilarious or totally necessary to try and keep people engaged for its weekly marathons of pit stops, speeding penalties and commercials

Don't forget it was Dale Earnhardt who once said, "watch the first 10 laps, mow your yard, take a nap and then watch the last 10 laps", and that was followed a few years later by his son saying: "we need to cut a couple of hours out of these races."

By breaking up races up into three parts and rewarding "segment" winners, NASCAR has embraced the "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality and the added comic relief of a "regular season champion" versus the "NASCAR champion", which surely has David Pearson, Bobby Allison and Cale Yarborough in stitches.

It's B-O-R-I-N-G.

Now, whether these radical changes move the needle remain to be seen, but there is one potential winner in stock car racing's latest reincarnation. That would be the Verizon IndyCar series.

Because, besides any 30-lap sprint car, midget or super modified race or AMA flat-trackers on The Mile, there is no purer form of motorsports still standing. Other than Indianapolis and Pocono, most of the races take 90-120 minutes, and they're flat-stick exercises in balls, brains and finesse. The term "just riding around," uttered repeatedly by stock car drivers, doesn't exist in the IndyCar vernacular.

There's no Lucky Dog or caution clock or green-white-checker to try and manufacturer some drama.
    And there's no NASCAR yellow to make sure the championship-deciding race has a close finish.

OK, there is push-to-pass on the IndyCar road/street shows, but it's just extra power that each driver has to manage smartly so he's got some at the end of the race and it helps overtaking on a narrow city circuit.
    But there's no debating that IndyCar oozes compelling competition.

You can't get anything more frenetic and fierce than last year's Texas finish (pictured), or anything racier on a road course than Barber was in 2016, or anything more stunning than Alexander Rossi's victory at Indianapolis.

IndyCar doesn't need gimmicks to have a great battle for the championship. All that does is cheapen the product.

Keeping double points at Indy isn't necessary either, but at least it's early enough you can recover from a bad result.

But NASCAR's cry for help is a big opportunity for IndyCar. It needs to promote itself as the fastest, purest show in town where 20 cars are separated by a less than a second most weekends and the quickest driver usually takes the checkered flag.

It's still the fastest four-wheel motorsports series in the world that doesn't go in a straight line, and its champion is the most versatile racer on the planet. If you pull away and have everyone covered on a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon, you don't have to worry about a phantom caution flag.
    And, for the integrity of the sport and history books, there will only be one winner.
    Last edited by CIRF; 01-25-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Robin Miller is biased and was very jealous of Nascar at one time.

I will say in the article he makes some good points

I'm sorry but Push to pass is a gimmick
    Last edited by kidrock; 01-25-2017 at 04:31 PM.

CIRF has done it again !!! Best post ever ! Best part is about the only pure forms of racing. I notice that he Clay Cab Taxi races weren't mentioned. Probably because it is tainted by things such as house cars setting fast time and starting up front every race by virtue have having the best one off and prototype parts that no one else in the field has.
    Last edited by Raceready; 01-25-2017 at 04:23 PM.

CIRF, you don't get it at all.... I don't care about the points or the politics of NASCAR.... All I do is watch the race... when the chase comes around, then I keep track of the participants... other then that could not care any less then I do... And please quit flattering yourself with your alter ego raceready.... patting yourself on the back for your posts is so childlike....

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Robin Miller is biased and was very jealous of Nascar at one time.

I will say in the article he makes some good points

I'm sorry but Push to pass is a gimmick
    I'm glad you recognize the truth in this article. Because that is what it is full of. TRUTH!

Miller admits the "push to pass" deal is BS. I can't figure why the hierarchy of Indy Car doesn't see it, too.

I can maybe see P 2 P on the street courses but not on the ovals.

Quote Originally Posted by bullslinger47 View Post
    CIRF, you don't get it at all.... I don't care about the points or the politics of NASCAR.... All I do is watch the race... when the chase comes around, then I keep track of the participants... other then that could not care any less then I do...
    Muddy, the points train has left the station. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. Points are meaningless and no longer reward season long excellence and consistency. It's not right but it is what it is in the World According To NASCAR & muddy.

No doubt Miller recognizes the points travesty, as well. Where Miller hits it out of the park is the part about the 3 different stages of the races and why that is another act of desperate gimmickry on NASCAR's part. He also points out how Indy Car is the last of the pure and relatively gimmick free competition besides the dirt open wheel classes. Something that has been clearly evident to real race fans for years. Miller just reinforces the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by bullslinger47 View Post
    And please quit flattering yourself with your alter ego raceready.... patting yourself on the back for your posts is so childlike....
    I have no control over what Mr. Raceready posts. You don't like what he posts, take it up with him, not me.

CIRF, you don't get it at all.... I don't care about the points or the politics of NASCAR.... All I do is watch the race... when the chase comes around, then I keep track of the participants... other then that could not care any less then I do... And please quit flattering yourself with your alter ego raceready.... patting yourself on the back for your posts is so childlike....
    So now I' an alter ego just because I complement somebody because they make sense and tell the truth? LOL Ya ever notice that you apparently have not said anything worthy of compliment? What does that tell you? Evidently I am also the alter ego of a25jr because I liked his Ted Nugent thing or Clayton Wetter because I like all of his posts? Grow on up !
    Last edited by Raceready; 01-25-2017 at 08:52 PM.

And please quit flattering yourself with your alter ego raceready.... patting yourself on the back for your posts is so childlike....
    That's not CIRF, that's Recurve, from the old days of the board

That's not jefferymo , that's MUD DUCK from the old days of the board and CALVERTON from the new days of the board

You guys keep talking about points... who cares? Watch the race....

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    That's not jefferymo , that's MUD DUCK from the old days of the board and CALVERTON from the new days of the board
    Never change, Recurve. Never change

You guys keep talking about points... who cares? Watch the race....
    Muddy, I've admitted the points gimmick/fiasco is a mute point. NASCAR has resoundingly made their bed and their gonna' have to live with it for the duration from here on out. As much to save face and avoid admitting they were/are wrong and avoid admitting the ultimate consequences in regards to attendance and TV ratings.

I think what Robin is mostly referring to is the stupidity of stopping races for no reason that anyone can fathom. I don't think anyone with an ounce of operable grey matter could possibly defend that. But what do I know. Maybe we're all way off base and they'll get back to selling out every venue and doubling their present TV ratings from what they are now but I wouldn't bet on it!!