Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The most flagrant stoppage of a race was the one where Kyle Larson was well on his way to his first victory and they threw the yellow because of a plastic water bottle that had laid up in the marbles where nobody was running anyway. It had laid for around a hundred laps without any problems. No wonder fans defect!
    Last edited by Raceready; 01-30-2017 at 10:49 PM.

They keep up with this bs and they will end up going backwards. Maybe a new version of Wide World of Sports where you see some racing sandwiched between ski jumping and arm wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Muddy, I've admitted the points gimmick/fiasco is a mute point. NASCAR has resoundingly made their bed and their gonna' have to live with it for the duration from here on out. As much to save face and avoid admitting they were/are wrong and avoid admitting the ultimate consequences in regards to attendance and TV ratings.

I think what Robin is mostly referring to is the stupidity of stopping races for no reason that anyone can fathom. I don't think anyone with an ounce of operable grey matter could possibly defend that. But what do I know. Maybe we're all way off base and they'll get back to selling out every venue and doubling their present TV ratings from what they are now but I wouldn't bet on it!!

Ok, now were getting some where, the points mean nothing if your watching the race to watch the race... Finally I got through to ya... geez took a freakin eternity....

You know why all of a sudden points to some is a big deal? Social media... half the people talking about them have no clue about racing in the first place....

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Ok, now were getting some where, the points mean nothing if your watching the race to watch the race... Finally I got through to ya... geez took a freakin eternity....

You know why all of a sudden points to some is a big deal? Social media... half the people talking about them have no clue about racing in the first place....

I still Say go back to the old formatt of racing where a guy has to actually Race his way in.... And they race til the end in the point's..... Although i do see your point in a way Mud about points not really mattering til the last 10 races but then again with the old formatt it could of been any team winning championships even the low funded teams.....
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Before you go and break your arm attempting to pat yourself on the back you need to understand that what I say about the points not meaning anything is a byproduct of the silly chase gimmick. The points have been cheapened to the degree that no one cares who's leading. The only significant points implication is who is currently part of the gimmick and who isn't. Back before the chase gimmick to finish the season in the top 10 in points was a big deal both monetarily and prestige.

The only reason that I personally check the points these days is to see where the dirt open wheel guys are ranked in regards to being part of the year ending points gimmick.

I can't agree social media drives interest in points. Long before social media the championship points were a hot source of interest. I remember well watching the points with great interest to see what kind of points week Terry Labonte had back in 1984 and in 1996. This interest started in June or July and lasted until the last race or whenever Terry clinched. Every year there was a new set of circumstances playing out and a fresh set of drivers in the hunt. This stuff made it interesting all year long. Not anymore.

Drop The Chase altogether! NASCAR's Super Bowl is the first race of the year, The Daytona 500. They want to have playoffs like football! Do they know how SILLY that sounds. Every race should mean something, then you follow the point standings all season, then everyone watches when the champ clinches the title. If it's one race early, oh well. I'm so glad that Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model has it right! The empty stands is not helping NASCAR either. Here's something, bring back real DRAFTING if you want REAL racing!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke100 View Post
    Drop The Chase altogether! NASCAR's Super Bowl is the first race of the year, The Daytona 500. They want to have playoffs like football! Do they know how SILLY that sounds. Every race should mean something, then you follow the point standings all season, then everyone watches when the champ clinches the title. If it's one race early, oh well. I'm so glad that Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model has it right! The empty stands is not helping NASCAR either. Here's something, bring back real DRAFTING if you want REAL racing!
    I'm with you 100%, Duke. A lot of other people think as you do, as well. However, the sad part of it all is that the horse is out of the barn and it ain't ever coming back. Even if NASCAR wised up and did away with all the gimmicks and reverted back to real racing today it would do little to reverse the exodus of fans losing interest.

I would probably take interest again if they went back to real racing sans the gimmicks but people like myself are overwhelmingly in the minority. They've half killed it and it ain't ever coming back. It's very sad to people like myself who loved NASCAR racing. Personally I'm a race fan regardless of the types of cars, who the drivers are or where the race takes place but I just can't be very excited with the product NASCAR is putting forth these days.

Give massive qualifying points and fast cars start in the back. Double points for a fast time victory.

Like to see Nascar drawing pills

I would have to agree. Forget this stopping the race for no good reason and make the stoppage's mean something. Pill draw for starting spots in 4 heat races using passing points to determine starting positions in 2 qualifying races which would in turn determine starting positions in the A-main. Then run 1 B-main to fill out the A-main field. This would be similar to Chili Bowl prelim night procedure. It works great there, why not at NASCAR tracks.

While they're at it they should schedule a 150 miler at The Springfield Mile and a 150 lapper at Eldora and do away with one of the 2 races at 2 of the cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks. Do away with the Brickyard 400 and instead run them in a 150 miler at The Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile dirt track.

There. It's fixed. Now, if NASCAR would only heed the calling of the real race fans. A Cup race at any of the 3 dirt tracks I mentioned would be one of the toughest tickets in sports!! Not just in racing but in all of sports!!

I know, I know, but I can dream a little, can't I? LOL!

I doubt there is one single race fan that would be against seeing the Cup cars on a big dirt track.

Before you go and break your arm attempting to pat yourself on the back you need to understand that what I say about the points not meaning anything is a byproduct of the silly chase gimmick. The points have been cheapened to the degree that no one cares who's leading. The only significant points implication is who is currently part of the gimmick and who isn't. Back before the chase gimmick to finish the season in the top 10 in points was a big deal both monetarily and prestige.

The only reason that I personally check the points these days is to see where the dirt open wheel guys are ranked in regards to being part of the year ending points gimmick.

I can't agree social media drives interest in points. Long before social media the championship points were a hot source of interest. I remember well watching the points with great interest to see what kind of points week Terry Labonte had back in 1984 and in 1996. This interest started in June or July and lasted until the last race or whenever Terry clinched. Every year there was a new set of circumstances playing out and a fresh set of drivers in the hunt. This stuff made it interesting all year long. Not anymore.
    I figured you'd figure out a way to walk that back... it was far to magnanimous of you....

And seriously, I have never ever watched a NASCAR race counting points... never ever..... and I go back a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    I doubt there is one single race fan that would be against seeing the Cup cars on a big dirt track.
    And that's why the Truck race at Eldora is so popular....

I would have to agree. Forget this stopping the race for no good reason and make the stoppage's mean something. Pill draw for starting spots in 4 heat races using passing points to determine starting positions in 2 qualifying races which would in turn determine starting positions in the A-main. Then run 1 B-main to fill out the A-main field. This would be similar to Chili Bowl prelim night procedure. It works great there, why not at NASCAR tracks.

While they're at it they should schedule a 150 miler at The Springfield Mile and a 150 lapper at Eldora and do away with one of the 2 races at 2 of the cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks. Do away with the Brickyard 400 and instead run them in a 150 miler at The Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile dirt track.

There. It's fixed. Now, if NASCAR would only heed the calling of the real race fans. A Cup race at any of the 3 dirt tracks I mentioned would be one of the toughest tickets in sports!! Not just in racing but in all of sports!!

I know, I know, but I can dream a little, can't I? LOL!

But you say you don't watch NASCAR, hence, your not a real race fan.... your words, not mine...

But you say you don't watch NASCAR, hence, your not a real race fan.... your words, not mine...
    Yessir, I'm a real race fan but I'm not a gimmick fan. I would be NASCAR's #1 fan if they ran every race like I outlined, Chili Bowl style, and ran on the dirt tracks I mentioned 3 or 4 times a year. Points be dammed!! I'd even start going to NASCAR races again.............that is if I could get tickets!!

Wouldn't you be stoked if they ran the races Chili Bowl style and ran on the dirt? I think you might!!

What do they have to lose? I prefer watching SLMs at Slinger myself.

Quote Originally Posted by balljoint View Post
    What do they have to lose? I prefer watching SLMs at Slinger myself.
    I prefer Lates too.... About anywhere... But when I'm setting at home on a Sunday evening and I have the race recorded, I like watching it... no points, no politics just enjoy the racing... one thing I am trying to get better on is strategy, I'm a little weak on understanding why they do some of the things they do.... like running their driver out of fuel... if you know you can go 14 more laps, don't try and squeeze 20 out of it....

Our schedule this year as it stands now, if the new car is done in time, we'll go to Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Kansas (not positive), Nebraska and Iowa.... gonna be busy this summer..
    Last edited by mudslinger47; 01-28-2017 at 08:52 PM.

No time for watching TV if youre racing. Especially during the winter.

Only watch Martinsville, Bristol and the road courses. The art of braking.

Hopefully can get the new Port City out. Lost crew.

Quote Originally Posted by bullslinger47 View Post
    I prefer Lates too.... About anywhere...
    Real race fans love it all. Throughout the year we attend racing events that include no less than 10 distinctly different types of racing machines. We don't prefer any one type over another if the racing is consistently good. We do, however, prefer some events over others but the competing cars aren't the reason. We would include several more differing genre's of cars but at least 3 or 4 times a year there are scheduling conflicts that prevent us from attending. Can't be two places at once, or at least I haven't figured out how yet.

Yeah. Rather YouTube a ministock heatrace than watch a Fontana snoozer.

Real race fans love it all. Throughout the year we attend racing events that include no less than 10 distinctly different types of racing machines. We don't prefer any one type over another if the racing is consistently good. We do, however, prefer some events over others but the competing cars aren't the reason. We would include several more differing genre's of cars but at least 3 or 4 times a year there are scheduling conflicts that prevent us from attending. Can't be two places at once, or at least I haven't figured out how yet.
    Funny you'd say that after you have repeatedly said you don't watch NASCAR.... I don't like go-carts on dirt or pavement so looks like were even...