Default R.I.P Larry Damitz

West coast racing legend, Larry Damitz, passed away last night at home sitting in his favorite chair. The Sundrop Kid, nicknamed that for the soda pop brand he delivered as a young man, was still racing Limited Late Models last season and winning races and championships and was on schedule to run in 2017. He was born at the beginning of the depression when the Model A Ford was only in it's second year and started racing in the early '50s in the hardtops of Northern California. It took him a few years to find victory but, once he did, he went on a tear for the next 7 decades in the old coupes and , later on, the Late Models. He moved to the Limited Lates about 10 years ago and had multiple seasons with 2 or more track championships. Always a gentlemanly racer he would give you enough room to race but no more. When someone asked him how many races or how many championships he had won he simply said "I don't know." His 2 main pit guys have been with him for over 50 years and watching this senior group could teach many a younger team how to do it the right way. I don't know of another driver in the country, ever, who was still driving and winning at his age and he'll never be replaced. Larry would have been 88 in a couple of months. It won't be the same in the pits this year without him. Godspeed, Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    West coast racing legend, Larry Damitz, passed away last night at home sitting in his favorite chair. The Sundrop Kid, nicknamed that for the soda pop brand he delivered as a young man, was still racing Limited Late Models last season and winning races and championships and was on schedule to run in 2017. He was born at the beginning of the depression when the Model A Ford was only in it's second year and started racing in the early '50s in the hardtops of Northern California. It took him a few years to find victory but, once he did, he went on a tear for the next 7 decades in the old coupes and , later on, the Late Models. He moved to the Limited Lates about 10 years ago and had multiple seasons with 2 or more track championships. Always a gentlemanly racer he would give you enough room to race but no more. When someone asked him how many races or how many championships he had won he simply said "I don't know." His 2 main pit guys have been with him for over 50 years and watching this senior group could teach many a younger team how to do it the right way. I don't know of another driver in the country, ever, who was still driving and winning at his age and he'll never be replaced. Larry would have been 88 in a couple of months. It won't be the same in the pits this year without him. Godspeed, Larry.
    Was hoping someone on here could write a good post on Larry, thanks 4t. Only ever read about him, never seen him race. But I knew about Larry. Believe Speedway Illustrated wrote a piece on him too. At least he went out in a good way. RIP Larry. Even someone less than half your age from Ohio knew who you were and admired you.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I first ran against Larry at the end of the '60s when I returned to the West coast and took my Eldora car,'39 Ford coach with a flathead, up to Vallejo to try my luck at one of the few venues still remaining for the hardtops. Pitted next to Larry at a very old school rough and tumble 1/4, he and the other regulars took me to school and I went back south with my tail between my legs. Probably ran against him over a hundred times in various classes over the years and only beat him a couple of times. Usually ran into him at a playday the beginning of each season and we had kind of a running gag where I would act amazed he was back, he would ask me why I was asking and I'd tell him I was trying to outlast him, even though he had a dozen years on me. He'd just grin. At the Arizona winter LM show at Casa Grande several years ago he showed up with his 15 year old car with a 13 year old engine and won a semi one night. Ken Schrader was impressed and asked who he was and became an instant fan when told he was 75 at the time. Lots of stuff online about him if you Google his name.

Talked to Larry a couple weeks ago at the WWS in Phoenix. I told him he was my hero for many years. I remember in the 80's he came to the Bud Nationals in Bakersfield back when 70 LM's were the norm. He always made the show, which was hard to do back then. He liked the high groove and was passing cars 3 wide once and was forced onto(not into) the backstretch wall. 2 wheels ON the wall and NEVER lifted. He gained 2 spots!!

RIP Larry. You will never be forgotten.

Thumbs up Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Sounds like an outstanding man from an exemplary generation, we could use more like him, he will be missed. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
    Politically Incorrect.

The new issue of Speedway Illustrated has a nice tribute article in it about Larry. Can't even begin to cover all the years of his career and the main picture of him is less than flattering but it gives some of you who never saw him or ran against him a little insight into one of the West's most popular drivers ever. Thanks SI.