Thread: Brake Question

Default Brake Question

Our car has 1.25" rotors and we would like to go with .81" or thinner. Should I be able to just bolt up new calipers and rotors or is there more to it?

Just giving you a pointer since I can see you are new. Any time you have a question that is not crate "motor" specific, post it on the Late Model section rather than the Crate Late Model section and you'll get a lot more traffic.

Anyway...in most cases, you will need to mover your brake clamp brackets on the rear and most chassis/spindle builders make different spindles for .810 vs 1.25 alignment. Going from .810 to 1.25 is easier because you can washer/shim the caliper but going from 1.25 to .810 you're probably going to need to move some brackets.
    The thing that sucks about that on the rear is that you're going to end up with more holes drilled into the tube. If that's what you have to do, change the radial mounting location of the caliper so that the holes aren't too close together. Everybody has different theories on where the caliper should be.

You should be able to purchase the correct crossover tubes and spacers to go from the 1.25 to .810 rotors for the calipers - i did this to go in the opposite direction without having to drill new holes.

Default spacers

Quote Originally Posted by gofasturnleft View Post
    Our car has 1.25" rotors and we would like to go with .81" or thinner. Should I be able to just bolt up new calipers and rotors or is there more to it?
    There are spacers made to go between the caliper pistons and pads so you can even use the calipers you have. I don't know who makes them but the ones we had came from rocket.

Thanks for all the info. Looking at areas for possible upgrades. Brakes seemed like a good candidate.