Default Airing your tires

Ultimately, filing up with nitorgen is the best i assume. But not having those means, how else do you guys air up tires. Do you have an inline air dryer system? A cam air system? Whats the best and most logical way? How is blowing up 20 tires onto the bead for the weekend done if you use nitrogen? How do you get moisture out if you used regular air to seal beads. i wouldnt know how anyone has time to vacuum pump moisture out of every wheel. How far will a nitrogen tank last?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash101 View Post
    Ultimately, filing up with nitorgen is the best i assume. But not having those means, how else do you guys air up tires. Do you have an inline air dryer system? A cam air system? Whats the best and most logical way? How is blowing up 20 tires onto the bead for the weekend done if you use nitrogen? How do you get moisture out if you used regular air to seal beads. i wouldnt know how anyone has time to vacuum pump moisture out of every wheel. How far will a nitrogen tank last?
    I just put air in them. Even when it is raining outside. If you are brave, the ether explosion technique would leave them dry.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 01-28-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I seat every tire with the compressor and then vacuum them down.Before I had a vacuum pump I took a ratchet strap and squeezed all the air out of the tire that I could.I have a large nitrogen tank,cost $40 to fill,Turning it off after every use and making sure none of your fittings leak is important.I have a small aluminum tank that I set air pressure at the track with.Don't know how many tires a tank does but, as long as you don't leave the bottle on and leak all the air out,it last long enough to not be an issue.

I remember my first try with the ether.Isn't it odd how the stories that you were about 30 seconds from calling the fire department and an ambulance are the ones that you laugh about the most later on.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    I remember my first try with the ether.Isn't it odd how the stories that you were about 30 seconds from calling the fire department and an ambulance are the ones that you laugh about the most later on.
    So true. Did you retain your eyebrows?
    Politically Incorrect.

I think the main thing is to keep the moisture out of the tanks where it ends up condensing over time and then going back into the air as pressure changes.
    Hopefully, you've got a weekly checklist for your race car.
    Start a monthly checklist for your shop/tools and add "drain all compressors and tanks" to that list.
    Meaning, purge them of air and pull the drain plugs so the water can get out. On smaller tanks that don't have a water drain, you might have to pull the regulator off.

Don't forget to change to summer air from winter air in the tires.

air up with compressor

pull valve stems purge air, re fill with nitrogen

pull valve stem, purge and re fill final time

A tire with less psi in it, heats up faster.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1