Default Selecting Truck and Trailer for Two Dirt Late Models

Good morning everyone. This is a little long winded, so please bear with me. I appreciate any help or advice you can offer based on your experiences. Thank you!I have 3 kids and I'm planning to transition them from kart and quarter midget racing into dirt late models over the next several years. Our karting operation has a 14' trailer and our quarter midget operation has a 24' trailer. Our current tow vehicle is a 30' class C gas motorhome. In about 3 years I plan on moving our oldest into late models with his brothers to follow in a few short years. At that time we'll still be racing karts and quarter midgets until they're all transitioned over to late models. To support all of this I'm planning the following:2017 February / March - Buy a truck 2020 Mid Summer - Buy a 2 car trailer and use it for dirt late models2024 - Buy a second truck and convert the quarter midget hauler to dirt late models (that would get us to 3 dirt late models and our oldest kid would have a vehicle)So where I need help:What truck should I buy?The truck I'm going to buy soon needs to be a unicorn of sorts. I want to use it to carry the family (crew cab), as a commuter (not a dually), and I want it to be capable of pulling a 2 car trailer. I'm confident that a Crew Cab F250 would work well for hauling my family, hauling a single car trailer, and commuting. What I don't know is how well or poorly an F250 would haul a 2 car stacker or gooseneck. I'd like to hear some good / bad stories on this and receive recommendations on trucks I'm not considering that would work for all of my needs. What trailer should I buy?The trailer I will by in 2020 needs to haul two dirt late models and be towed by the truck I'm buying this year. I like the idea of a stacker since I don't have a ton of storage space in my driveway for a long gooseneck. ...but, from what I've read a stacker may not be towable with the type of truck I'm wanting. Figuring out the trailer type would be a big consideration in the type of truck I buy this year. I'm interested in your experiences with F250 or other trucks that suit the needs above and hauling stackers and goosenecks.Looking forward to putting this puzzle together with your help!Thank you,Wes Laney

We towed a large single car gooseneck enclosed trailer with a DRW F450 for a while and even with that size of truck fully loaded it was a lot of trailer. (Pulling wise it was fine, but long periods of braking got scary quick.)

IMO even if you went with an all aluminum trailer an F250 isn't going to be able to safely pull/ stop the load.

Also, your larger trailers use air brakes which makes it far less practical to pull with a pickup.

If your using a rv now, your going to miss the bathroom, fridge etc.. I had a toter the last 5-6 years I cant imagine going backwards...

Id buy a toter home, with at least a 450 hp motor since you plan to pull a stacker in the future... 70-90k should do it..

i'm with stock car, sell the motorhome get a toter and grow into it, even if you do camping you could also get a tag along camper and use the toter to pull it, sounds like your racing budget is gonna get a lot bigger in the future, good luck.

most people just don't know the weight they are pulling,ive had them all, lift gates, lifts (built in the wall so a late model will fit and yes the frame will need to be built in the wall so the sides don't scrub,dont let the salesman lie) if i was going to haul 2 cars again(and i may be very soon) i myself would go one of two ways, toter home with a liftgate trailer if you have the help, toter with a lift built in the trailer(hard to find) or with the s&s style pivot lift(if you don't have the help)

people have always made me laugh when they say "well i cant afford it" but they have a brand new 60-70 thousand dollar 1ton to pull it and a 10-20(or more) thousand dollar trailer, if you look and take your time you can find a hauler between 75-125 that will be a semi style setup, if you do go this way ,in my opinion do not buy a trailer unless it has the semi axles,DO NOT BUY THE TRIPLE STYLE AXLES,ive seen to many have a wheel pass them on the interstate and thats all you need a law suit while your trying to have fun, most of the time if you keep it up and nice you'll get 90-100% back, this is just my experience and what i would do,2 cars with all the equipment and tires to keep them up and a 250 will not work,2 cars =4800,trailer for 2 cars 11,000(all aluminum maybe 8-9 thousand),4 wheeler 750,tools (very heavy, had you ever help a mechanic move his tool box) say 1500 most are heavier, so right now we are at 18,050lbs we don't have fuel or 20-30 wheels and tires(I'm guessing both cars will be racing)and all the other stuff
    Last edited by grt74; 01-28-2017 at 06:22 PM.

not to high jack the thread but ive been kicking around the idea of trading my dually in on an internatioanl or freightliner truck like the one i attached in the link. i dont have a crew so i dont need a big toter and cant really afford one at this point. anyone have any experiences with these trucks? pros or cons?

http://workingtruckworld.com/Truck/D...al-4700-hauler

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    not to high jack the thread but ive been kicking around the idea of trading my dually in on an internatioanl or freightliner truck like the one i attached in the link. i dont have a crew so i dont need a big toter and cant really afford one at this point. anyone have any experiences with these trucks? pros or cons?

http://workingtruckworld.com/Truck/D...al-4700-hauler
    they are nice and will work but the engines will not go the miles like the semi engines (youll get 200-300,000 miles out of the smaller engines on average, they have to work harder)big trucks can go 500-900,000 miles on an engine if its taking care of, but they have big brakes

We have a 33 ft tag pull stacker and a FL70 conversion with a smaller cummins. We often pull a LM and SS with all our equipment. It does the job but don't be in a hurry and hills knock the breath out of it. If we were to do it over again and the budget allowed, I would by a semi style truck with the bigger engine. More money but you are going to be way better off if you plan on long trips or live in hilly areas. Also be sure to check your DOT laws regarding whatever setup you plan to buy.

You can buy used semi pretty reasonable and do conversion yourself if your handy

I've been looking at the 4700 too, for down the road. Good info. Is the sport chassis basically the same situation? It's pretty clear I won't be able to pull two cars with any f250-450.

sport chassis just has a duramax in it

We bought a.used toter, freightliner fl112 with M11 cummins and a 32ft stacker. Spent less than most spend on a dually pu. I wouldn't dare to pull the stacker with my pu. Did once and about sucked seat up my butt, not a fun drive!!! I have seen some good stacker toter combos for sale for around $50k

There is a guy here at EAMS with weekend with a new dodge 3500 pulling a gooseneck lift gate trailer with it. Came from out of town. And I have a guy I help that followed me to St. Louis with the same style dodge dually pulling a stacker trailer with a pivot lift inside and ran 90 the entire way with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    There is a guy here at EAMS with weekend with a new dodge 3500 pulling a gooseneck lift gate trailer with it. Came from out of town. And I have a guy I help that followed me to St. Louis with the same style dodge dually pulling a stacker trailer with a pivot lift inside and ran 90 the entire way with no issues.
    wait until he has to stop short,youll never get that smell out of the truck, if he lives

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    wait until he has to stop short,youll never get that smell out of the truck, if he lives
    The new hydraulic disc brakes are a TON better than the old small electric drum brakes.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

With the trailer brakes and the newer trucks having Jake brakes it stops pretty well.