Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lightning2597 View Post
    With the cost of racing continuing to increase, and racers just not being able to afford to compete in the highest level classes. Car counts have decreased dramatically! Attendance in the stands have fell off! Race Tracks have closed their doors! I HAVE AN IDEA....

Bring Back The GOOD OLD DAYS!!! New Class....

Super Lates like they used to be: (Pure Stocks Cars / Street Stocks Cars) Stock Frames, Stock Steel Bodies, 8 Inch Tires, Weight Jacks, 9 Inch Rearend, No Motor Limit!

Pay a weekly payout to them like the current Super Lates get at your local track! (Car Counts will pay the extra Purse!)

** I think this would go over BIG! Racers could afford to race again! Tracks would have to run Consolation Races at Weekly Events due to having so many cars in this class!

Don't get me wrong.... I love my Super Lates! Just looking for something that would help these race tracks that are struggling stay a float! The racing would be just as good! Can you imagine watching some of your favorite Super Late drivers doing it in a stock car!?! Trying to figure out how to get horse power to the ground without chassis and all those adjustments! Some of your older retired favorites may even make a return! (Cars they are familiar with, that technology has not passed them up!) Guys without BIG Sponsor Deals getting to play on an equal playing field!

I Don't Know..... What do you guys think!?!

I like your Idea alot! But the fact of the matter is there are going to be that still feel that they are entitled to the elite stuff like the 3 links 4 bars swingarm rears etc etc etc... and with the No Engine limit that just make's it basically where they can toss anything in there from a 355 to a 434 which makes that level playing field how level? Those day's I'm sorry are long gone.... Had Technology not of spoiled most of us then it would be the perfect opportunity for a new racer to get into if we were back in the 80' to late 90's But when we started seeing street stocks show up at tracks with suspensions likke the Open Wheel Modifieds and SLM then that class had monied itself to extinction... Just my opinion on the issue....
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

You have to decrease traction. Brian Ruhlmann already posted the answers, cut the spoilers down to 6" and then to 5" on and on till you get it right.

That and raise the front valence up. If you take out the aero the cars will make less traction, less traction, less HP is needed, problems solved.

I am not a real big fan of the non grooving / siping rules, but it can help i guess, but tends to lend itself to new tires if the track is abrasive. Although its another good option for the RR and RF maybe.

Modified racing got better when they deleted the 5" spoiler. No reason SLM's cant do the same.

Just say no...

Not looking to replace the Super Lates.... I love them! Not looking to create a touring series! Just looking to create a class that local tracks can run weekly, that pays well, and is more cost efficient! ((Of Course, any class you have that have restrictions..... YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TECH GUY/CREW THAT WILL ENFORCE THE RULES!!!)) As far as allowing any motor, if you enforce the rules, Big Motors will not be an advantage without cool adjustments to use to put the power to the track! ((Hence.... Stock Frames, 8 Inch Tires, No Lift Bars, etc...)) Also, I see the fact that no one wants to drive 2 or 3 hours to watch Street Stocks. ME NEITHER!!! But, if you live in an area where you only have one or two options locally to go and watch a race and those tracks are struggling to keep the doors open..... why not try something like this!?! Better than Closing The Doors!

Let's Face It Guys.... Racing Super Lates on a Weekly Basis at Local Tracks is a Dying Breed! Technology has got OUT OF HAND! ($50,000 plus chassis, $50,000 plus motors, $5,000 - $10,000 shocks, $175 - $200 per tire, I could go on and on!) I hate it!!! If you are not someone that is just filthy rich, or someone that has a big sponsor backing you (if so, you are touring), you can not do it! Or at least be competitive!

This idea I have for this class, is based somewhat on the "Supers" cars they ran in the 70s. They were today's Tame Pure Stocks! They ran for better purses back then (Mostly) than the Pure Stocks / Street Stocks / Emods are running for today! And the price to do it today....... well, you get the point! Something has to be done, or, we will all be forced to watch Nascar's Circus on TV every week! REMEMBER, without weekly racing at tracks, there will be no tracks to host the Touring Series for the Super Lates that we all love to watch!

I understand the idea behind it, and LM racing is in a tough place for sure. I'm just saying, as someone who goes to 30-40 SLM shows per year I would definitely not drive to see these. I would go to Sprint Car shows or something else, but in my opinion this division would be glorified street stocks. There are ways to limit the division without sacrificing that much speed. The cars now look so much cooler than anything else out there, and that is one thing that appeals to me over Sprints or anything else. Crate Engine options, or spec engine programs/options, smaller spoilers, higher minimum weight and bigger weight break to steel blocks would all accomplish similar cost savings while not compromising the overall speed of the class and the excitement on the racing.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning2597 View Post
    Let's Face It Guys.... Racing Super Lates on a Weekly Basis at Local Tracks is a Dying Breed! Technology has got OUT OF HAND! ($50,000 plus chassis, $50,000 plus motors, $5,000 - $10,000 shocks, $175 - $200 per tire, I could go on and on!) I hate it!!! If you are not someone that is just filthy rich, or someone that has a big sponsor backing you (if so, you are touring), you can not do it! Or at least be competitive!

This idea I have for this class, is based somewhat on the "Supers" cars they ran in the 70s. They were today's Tame Pure Stocks! They ran for better purses back then (Mostly) than the Pure Stocks / Street Stocks / Emods are running for today! And the price to do it today....... well, you get the point! Something has to be done, or, we will all be forced to watch Nascar's Circus on TV every week! REMEMBER, without weekly racing at tracks, there will be no tracks to host the Touring Series for the Super Lates that we all love to watch!
    Also, I think car counts are pretty good in the current SLM class at weekly tracks. I was never concerned about single digit car counts at any of my area tracks (Hagerstown, Selinsgrove, Port Royal, Winchester) and the counts seem to be even better in the IL area as well. I think things looked a lot worse for the division a few years ago than they do now that the economy has turned around a bit. The biggest impact over the last few years in my opinion is mostly due to fracturing the division up with other classes, especially how much Crates have taken off in that time. Its not really a bad thing, but the lower budget teams seem to be sticking with Crates and Limited Late Models rather than moving up to run at the back of the SLM division which makes sense. Getting 40-50 SLM weekly and running B mains and all is nice, but I think it is more sustainable to get 18-20 who put on a good show, and another 18-20 in a lower class who also put on a good show rather than sending people home.

Thanks,
    Jeff.