Thread: Ford cooling

Question Ford cooling

Guys running high rev's FORD 302 or 351w, do or have you had heating problems? What water pump pulley to crank pulley ratio are you using? Thermostat or restrictor? Single or dual pass radiator? We run GAS, 2bbl carb, 9-1 comp, GT40P heads late 80's 302 block. 74-76 rpms. We have no problems on our 351w, but only turn it 6400rpm. 302 runs hot. We use dual pass AFCO radiators now.

I haven't ever had a cooling problem with my fords IMO I would get rid of the afco radiator as they have been bought out by speedway and are not the product they used to be also don't care for a dual pass. I have run a Howe single pass and always had great luck on the 302s I ran a 180 thermostat and the 351w I usually run a 1" restrictor with a 30% reduction.

I have a single pass radiator and chevy 1-1 pulleys..on my amc.(some say its a ford) runs rock solid at 195 with a middle sized moroso restrictor.
    I started out underdriven with a triple pass radiator. It ran cool until a yellow then wanted to heat up with the low rpms.

derekshi: Do you use v-belt pulleys? If so, where are you getting them? We have to run v-belt. Thought there would more replies to this post. If you Ford guys don't want to post here PM me. We have been running FORDs for 15 years, first time for a 302. Never had problems with the 351-396. Maybe I should have posted this thread in a different forum?

I run V-belt pulleys the lower is a moroso which is 4" in diameter and the upper pulley is a stock steel one that measures 5 7/8" that is the only pulley setup I've run since I didn't want to pay over $100 dollars for aluminum pulleys that won't last. I never did have a heating issue when I ran the 302.