Default Brakes or No Brakes

Ive been hearing different opinions .... How do you drive a race car ? With the wheel or with the brakes ?
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    Ive been hearing different opinions .... How do you drive a race car ? With the wheel or with the brakes ?
    The right answer, both. It takes all the controls to get it around the track. If you are talking about changing direction, you slow it with the brakes, steer it with the wheel. If the car is balanced properly.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Turning with brakes is OK on tacky tracks dry slick brake in straight line let car rotate once you get car sliding on dry slick you are done.My opinion dry slick separates the men from the boys most anybody in good equipment and a big set of balls can be fast on tacky tracks in my opinion.

I've heard some of the fast guys drive with the clutch pedal. Not sure if it's true but that's the word on the street

uh... no......
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Not sure about using the clutch pedal, but I know of a few that will drag the brakes off the corner in the slick, sort of like a left footed traction control.

a driver only has three tools. brake, throttle, and steering. Using all three in combination nets the best results.

Adjusting your line to what your car will do well is the key, if it takes braking to do that do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    I've heard some of the fast guys drive with the clutch pedal. Not sure if it's true but that's the word on the street
    Was this an attempt at humor or do your really not know how the clutch works in late model or any race car with a Bert-style transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Was this an attempt at humor or do your really not know how the clutch works in late model or any race car with a Bert-style transmission?
    He's talking about the transmission bloomer is dominating with.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    He's talking about the transmission bloomer is dominating with.
    Something that is in production?

Back when I raced steel blocks on hard tires I always had both pedals doing something. Never let all the way out of throttle and always trail brake down the straits. Once I got hooked up with Josh McGuire he taught me to drive with my right foot. I think newer cars drive so well that the use of brakes to turn is kinda old. But that being said everybody is different, bloomy and madden seem to be rocket ships and they burn the brakes down. But you can almost tell they don't use em much anymore especially in the slick when they drive off in the corner and go wall to wall from entry to exit.

What is this new Bloomsmission all about?

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    From the little bit I've heard, it sounds like it works sort of like the turbo encabulator. Not sure if true but he I heard he started running it before he went on that tear over the summer

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    From the little bit I've heard, it sounds like it works sort of like the turbo encabulator. Not sure if true but he I heard he started running it before he went on that tear over the summer

We already have a hypoid rear differential. The Bloomoid trans was the logical next step.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    We already have a hypoid rear differential. The Bloomoid trans was the logical next step.
    So Allen-Bradley makes...I get it now

If you don't use all three your probably not up front just my $.02