Default Insurance question

I am fixing an International 4700 crew às a tow rig. What can I do so I don't have to insure it as a commercial vehicle.

Unless you convert it to an RV I think you are outta luck... you can insure it for local or say a 300 mile radius and that will save you $$$... the farther you travel the higher the rate. You can still go on longer trips just not on a regular basis. Check with an insurance agent that deals with commercial trucks... I've had excellent service from great west insurance... used them for years on my 18 wheeler.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Class of 2019

We had a truck once that we wanted to convert to an RV for this reason. The highway patrol gave us a checklist that we could go buy, it must have at least x items from this list to be an RV. Then you had to take it for an inspection by the highway patrol to issue it as an RV. I don't remember the whole list but it was stuff like: Bathroom, water supply, bed, table... You did not have to have all just a certain number of them.

This was about a decade ago in Missouri.

As long as it don't have air brakes you shouldn't have to on a 4700. It's under 26000 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Slideitinsideways View Post
    As long as it don't have air brakes you shouldn't have to on a 4700. It's under 26000 lb.
    But once he hooks a trailer to it, I think is where he'll get into the issues.

And what's the total GVW with a trailer? People were abusing the sh!t outta this rule so they changed it. I worked for a guy for a VERY short time who towed mini excavators and bobcats with F350's and F550's, plus a dump truck that wasn't 26+. And once you hooked a trailer to it, that's where they got you. You'd be amazed what people try to get away with without a CDL. Fear of losing their sh!t job with a dumb crazy owner.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Thanks for the reply. The trailer will be a problem. Insurance is the big deal first. I will try the suggested insurance company Mon. I do not travel much.

You can get a hold of any of the local guys who have this stuff and ask them, too.
    Class of 2019

I see this is an old thread, but just in case someone else is curious...

I am a State Farm agent, I know with us "commercial vehicle" is a loose term, based on size. We would definitely insure your truck under "commercial lines" but it would be a non business use, or RV use, therefore making the premium much lower than if it were a business use or something like that. Don't neccesarily worry about it being called "commercial" just be sure your company has the correct use for the truck.
    Last edited by RayCook53fan; 06-08-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    I see this is an old thread, but just in case someone else is curious...

I am a State Farm agent, I know with us "commercial vehicle" is a loose term, based on size. We would definitely insure your truck under "commercial lines" but it would be a non business use, or RV use, therefore making the premium much lower than if it were a business use or something like that. Don't neccesarily worry about it being called "commercial" just be sure your company has the correct use for the truck.
    Agree. State Farm insures my toter as an RV with no issues. But in Iowa we are also allowed to register them as "Motorsports RV" which is nice because it makes some of the commercial vehicle rules not pertain to us.

Check with Liberty Mutual they customize your insurance so you only pay for what you need or that’s what Craig and LiMu Emu said anyway

^ ^
    Are you aware that 15 minutes could save you 15% ?
    8/13/16

Go with the BUNDLE ! !

Have just the same question ... Different people recommend different insurance deals, I just finished reading alfa insurance reviews and probably I will monitor dozens of other offers, too. Thanks for the Bundle recommendation.
    Last edited by samgood; 11-13-2021 at 02:43 AM.